Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: South Vietnam retextured by WhiteCat - Download now v. 1.0  (Read 23593 times)

WhiteCat

• Modder
South Vietnam retextured by WhiteCat - Download now v. 1.0
« on: July 16, 2013, 06:23:25 PM »

Somewhere in Laos border, 1968...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11zb5k

Hey guys, I'm back, and with my first IL2 video!! WIP of my retexture of South Vietnam map by Mission Bug using modifications of my textures from other repaints of maps like Hawaii, Korea, etc. I couldn't resist to come back to 'work' after seeing how busy you've been with all these nice 60's planes.

Soon in your screens if you like it :-)

Edit: Download link now:

https://www.mediafire.com/?ac2h06uz5qu33ka

alternative mediafire dl link:
https://www.mediafire.com/download/o9x300dr0oupi00/00_whc_Retextured_PS_Vietnam_v.1.0.zip

Just extract and put in your DBW / MODS folder. It will substitute your default PS_South_Vietnam load.ini. This is only a repaint therefore you need the original PS_South_Vietnam mod by Mission Bug.

Credits to Oleg, all modding community, and in particular some modders: Mixx and Viking for the original textures I used as a template for most of my own textures in all my repaints of Pacific maps. Also special thanks to Max for his new roads and support. And of course, thanks to Pete for his awesome Vietnam map which served me as a majestic canvas for my repaint!! I didn't change anything in Map_T,  it's a great map. Feel free to reuse textures and the new Jungle trees in other maps (I will substitute the trees in all my maps when I have time  :))

Enjoy the map!! I recommend you take a look to some Vietnam missions by Cracken and VPMedia. Also, highly recommended to fly over this map listening to late 60's psychedelic rock  8)

Edit: Some screenshots:

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
Re: South Vietnam retextured by WhiteCat
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 06:47:35 PM »

Welcome back Whitecat, glad to see you again.
Sorry, I cannot see your new video. That website is not showing video properly.
Anyway, I am sure your doing some really ool stuff. Show us some screenshots if you want.

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

WhiteCat

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 06:51:20 PM »

farang65

• never two weeks two decades
  • SAS Team
  • Fortress Formosa
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 06:57:53 PM »

Hi WhiteCat,

Glad to see you back  :D

I'm sure Pete will be very pleased 

No wonder you've been away for some time.

Cheers

Kirby

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 10:03:14 PM »

cool, I was planning a similar project but now I can do something else :)

here's some good videos about the terrain, almost 3 hours, no sound:

WhiteCat

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 04:51:42 AM »

Many thanks guys! :)

One of the things I was thinking but I don't know how to do it quickly is to eliminate one type of road (not the Highway but the Road). Something like substitute it with a transparent sprite or something so it doesn't show. The road texture in reddish brown already marks the roads between the forests and having the jigsaw IL2 road passing through reduces immersion. I'd eliminate all, but somehow railways and highways need to be there.

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 05:58:47 AM »

Many thanks guys! :)

One of the things I was thinking but I don't know how to do it quickly is to eliminate one type of road (not the Highway but the Road). Something like substitute it with a transparent sprite or something so it doesn't show. The road texture in reddish brown already marks the roads between the forests and having the jigsaw IL2 road passing through reduces immersion. I'd eliminate all, but somehow railways and highways need to be there.

You can always create an "invisible" like road, using your Alpha-Channel on the road skins. Make it invisible.
Or create a brand new style of road for these sort of maps. For example a dirt road that has mud and tire tracks
on one side of the road and grass growing in the middle and on the sides. I suggest to make the grass have some dirt
spaces in between and Alpha-Channel "holes" so it all blends in with the surrounding landscape coloring you are using.
I like what you are doing with this map, I can help you a little bit if you want.

I also like the village and city scenes your putting together. Very nice dioramas. One thing we do need at the moment for these
Asian maps is more Asian type buildings and houses. I will get around to painting some new static-objects for them once I
finish doing some things I already have planned for the ETO maps. I will post them up for you to enjoy in your new map.
Please continue, it is looking very cool. Good work on it WhiteCat  8)

WhiteCat

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 06:09:16 AM »

Thanks Max, you've given me some nice ideas for the Road :)

The cities aren't mine but Mission Bug or Dixiecapt I can't recall. My work was just changing the textures, literally one day's work, not even retouching Map_T. A lot of nice work has been put already on this map by those people, I only wanted to see it with textures more of my personal taste.

farang65

• never two weeks two decades
  • SAS Team
  • Fortress Formosa
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 06:42:48 AM »

i've been tidously placing roads by hand using kevin p road and path packs on a current project

lining up the roads to town style textures and cleared rural areas

tideous but this area bush roads/tracks even at that :D

It helps definitely for immersion now jagged roads

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 06:53:07 AM »

You are welcomed WhiteCat. I have enjoyed very much your past artworks on many other of your maps, like the
retextured Hawaii islands map, and you have a great eye for details. I like that in any art.

If you want I can paint for you in a few minutes a new "jungle type" road texture for you to test on this map of yours.
The last time I touched a road skin to create some old style cobblestone roads, it came out pretty cool. All of my European
maps now have this new cobblestone roads mixed in with the normal asphalt roads and they blend in more realistically for
more eye-candy when I fly closer to the ground.
 I did not add any of them to the IL2 maps. It is still the same roads placed there on the original maps by
the original creators of the maps, but I changed one skin road type and the changes were made to the maps automatically.
Making changes to one little set of skins makes a HUGE difference on all maps  ;)

I plan on doing a similar change to all my desert and jungle map roads in the near future. Not adding asphalt or cobblestone type
of roads, but painting a new more detailed dirt road with wheel tracks running through the middle of the road.
Some little details do make a big difference for all maps.
I will post them up for download for you WhiteCat and SAS~Farang65 on my next static-objects package this Friday morning  :)

BTW - check out and test on your maps the small retexturing thing I done to the games palm trees. They are available on my
 last static-objects package I made available for everyone. Now all my Pacific islands and Asian/Vietnam maps look much more
interesting. I also plan on creating a set of palm trees for North African maps. They may be palm trees, but they have a different
look to them. African palms are different.

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 06:59:42 AM »

Hi, Max,
I am very interested in your cobblestone and mud roads for my Belarus1916 WIP map, indeed.
Btw, did you thought about the river fords ? I think there must be much of them in Vietnam, too.

WhiteCat

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 07:14:36 AM »

Wow Max thanks again for your kind words and your offers. Sure thing, any help on the roads more than  welcome. ATM I'm in a between-jobs / convalescent-after-operation period type and I have a small window to finish this map and go back again to the 'real' world (a moving into a new job in Switzerland included :) so indeed help is welcomed. Waiting to see yours but I think the main problem with roads is that even if you make them winding, still they will have those ugly long straight bits and those 120 degrees angles. But maybe doing them half-transparent or with holes change a lot!

I haven't entered into the 2048 world yet as I did some test but started to have many weird memory issues, maybe because I installed wrongly the mod or maybe because my PC needs an update, or both. But it seems very promising for maps.

One of the best things we could do for Pacific maps is to create a new set of autopop trees palm-like. I haven't found any new ones around (the package you mention, Max, is static palm objects right? But not autopop. I know Uufflake did some very nice new high definition trees but I don't know about any jungle ones so I'm still using MTO alteredbush8 and I've taken them out of most of the Vietnam textures anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 27 queries.