Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: South-central China WIP  (Read 57388 times)

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
South-central China WIP
« on: March 20, 2013, 02:55:46 PM »

Update Sept. 21, 2014
Download Version 1 here:  http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads3&file=details&id=2041

Hengyang V1
As of this first version right now, there are very few static objects.  I have placed airfields, bridges, roads and railways, some railroad stations and factories.  I will let others, mainly Riptide_One, to do the rest of the populating of cities.  Mandrill is also helping to create new China houses.  Some of the heights of the Map_H seem unreal but I did get the srtm's satellite data from agracier who was kind enough to help get me started.  Many of the textures are from agracier, oknevas, and Mixx but have been tweaked to to go together in this map.

The map is playable now if anyone would like to start making missions and using this map.  Airfield locations and static points will not change.  I did not know what many of the airfields looked like during the war so I had to use my imagination.  I welcome anyone who would like to change the airfield textures if that would improve things (Just be sure not to change waypoints, etc).
*Notes on airfields are included in the download.

A later Version 2 will be available in the future with populated cities and it will replace this Version 1.

--------------------------------------------------
Installation:

Paste the following line in your all.ini:

cztx_Hengyang cztx_Hengyang/load.ini

Thanks to agracier for lending the startup map, I have begun work on a region of China where the Flying Tigers and 14th Air Force saw most of their action.

(screenshot does not show bottom edge of map)

The map is very mountainous and includes such famous places as Kweilin (present day Guilin), Lingling, Hengyang, Changsha, Chihkiang, and Canton.  Some places may not be in their exact locations.  Canton is close to the bottom edge of the map but I'll squeeze it in so as to make a base for three Japanese airfields there. 

This map is much smaller than BurmaLower so it seems I can finish it faster (I'm guessing release time will be a year and ...two weeks haha!).  I'm happy with texture combinations of mountains and hills so far.  Still need city and more agricultural fields textures.  Again, the DBW's Slot forest/3D trees is used because I think it's perfect!

Some airfield locations are started but still need to make textures for them.  It's very difficult (in some places) to be able to get aircraft to land using 4.10 landing waypoints.  A good example is Chihkiang where I had to move the whole location just to get fighters and B-25s to land between the mountains.  The location is not exact but at least a major airfield is on the map.  I'd also like to add a Japanese airfield near Nanching which is not on the map...it will not be an exact location but at least there will be a Japanese airfield in the northeast (representing attacks from Hankow or Nanching).  Amoy is just off the map but I can add a small Japanese field nearby on the coastal plain.

I'd like to make a request for photos of airfields so that I can possibly make textures of.  I should have enough texture lines for almost all airfields so that each a/f can have it's own unique look... but only if I can find photos of such airfields.  I have a good PDF of Canton and its airfields which is excellent for research but I need more so if anyone has material they'd like to share then please do so.

mandrill

• Modder
Re: South-central China WIP
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 03:43:44 PM »

Great project! looking forward to seeing it progress!

BravoFxTrt

• "BIGFOOT"
  • Modder
  • Flying Ass Clown #13
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 05:28:47 PM »

Very Cool CT.
MSI R9 280X 6GB x2/Crossfire /ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo/AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer 4core CPU/RAM Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB/ Corsair RM 1000WATT PSU/Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 06:02:38 PM »

The famous Flying Tigers hunting ground, this seems interesting and adventurous!
I will be looking forward to flying and seeing everything in your new map.
Good luck on your mission.

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

Riptide_One

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 01:33:04 AM »

CzechTexan,

I can contribute a few hours per week populating this map. If that would help you, send me a PM. Populating Asian maps is a little frustrating because we have so few Asian objects and the ones we have were created for Japan. However, I think this is a much needed map and so, we'll just have to make do.

As for airfield pictures, I'll look around on the Internet.

Cheers,

Riptide

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 02:48:45 PM »

Thank you Riptide.  I still need to work on rivers, then add airfields and city textures, roads/RR, and then I will let you know when you can help populate.  I know I need help with that!  But it will be one of the last things to do. 
Hopefully some people will find photos or diagrams of airfields.  It's alot of research and I have not found much yet...except for Canton area and the east coast airfields.

BravoFxTrt

• "BIGFOOT"
  • Modder
  • Flying Ass Clown #13
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 03:03:31 PM »

Maybe Monty27 might have some info or links as well, he built his Flying Tigers Campaign.
MSI R9 280X 6GB x2/Crossfire /ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo/AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer 4core CPU/RAM Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB/ Corsair RM 1000WATT PSU/Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit

David Prosser

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 11:32:52 PM »

Thanks, CzechTexan. Its a much needed map. I hope the work goes smoothly. It looks you've got an assistant already.

cheers

David Prosser

Riptide_One

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 12:52:05 AM »

CzechTexan,

You're welcome!

I did look for pictures, airfield layouts and such yesterday but did not find anything useful. I will keep looking.

Cheers,

Riptide

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 11:57:57 AM »

Thanks Max...every little bit helps!
agracier has also been kind enough to lend me some of his newest textures.  He's better at that than I am

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 03:23:59 PM »

Great news! There is a distinct lack of maps over China!!!
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 20   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 27 queries.