Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wrecks of Ships  (Read 7308 times)

asheshouse

• SAS Team
Re: Wrecks of Ships
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 01:40:28 PM »

FatCat was the original creator of ShipPack, at AAA, and was instrumental in getting me started on ships. I only re-packed ShipPack to make it v4.10 compatible. The USS Oklahoma capsized however was mine, converted from the Warspite hull.

Uufflakke

• Modder
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 02:40:39 PM »

... I believe it is Asheshouse's mod

Here are a few screens, there are also 2 landing crafts models ...  ;)

We were discussing the sunken ships/ visibility of the submerged parts of a ship etc in another thread and still one thing I don't understand.
How come that ground texture is visible in shallow waters but we can't see that part of the sip below sea level like in the above screenshot?
Even in more recent games like Cliffs of Dover or Rise of Flight -from what I've seen on screenshots-  submerged parts are invisible.
"The Best Things In Live Aren't Things"

Herra Tohtori

• Modder
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 05:35:16 PM »

I think it's related to rendering order, z-buffer, or simply that the water is rendered as a "blanket" surface with no transparency, and what we interpret as transparency (seabed visible at shallows) is actually included to the water surface shaders, rather than being actually a different surface at different depth.

It's computatively cheaper, that's for sure. If the surface were transparent you would have to make up its colour based on environmental reflections; if you don't need to take that into account you can give the water a standard diffuse colour defined in the map data files, I believe. You would also need to take the water's opacity into account...

With modern hardware, it would be doable, not sure why even newer games don't do it (or they might do it, but the effect may not be noticeable).

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 02:09:27 AM »

In landscape 3D terms there is no sea bed modelled. The lowest level defined is the water surface, 0 metres. If the water was made semi-opaque then a "real" 3D sea bed would need to be modelled.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 25 queries.