Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wrecks of Ships  (Read 7325 times)

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
Wrecks of Ships
« on: February 17, 2013, 12:32:15 PM »

I was wondering if there is any method that can be used to simulate a ship wreck, say on a beach?

I know it's possible to put stationary ships and objects on land, or halfway up a beach. But they remain nicely upright, straight and 90 degrees to the ground. ordinarily they should be partway on their sides, leaning to one way or the other.

Is there any way of tilting objects so they would look more like a wrecked or beached vessel?

Herra Tohtori

• Modder
Re: Wrecks of Ships
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 12:37:47 PM »

You probably need to make a custom object which has offset and/or tilted geometry, so that when you place it on surface the model is slightly canted and/or partially sunk in the sand/mud or what have you.

If some coder hero could look into making 3D objects visible through the surface of water, that'd be pretty ace. I wonder if the water has an alpha value or just RGB values... and what would happen if it was made partially transparent.

I expect that when IL-2 was made, rendering underwater objects was not coded in for resource saving purposes.

Problem is, I don't think the shaders are easily modifiable. I wish IL-2 had open source code... :-X

BT~wasted

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 12:59:05 PM »

I think you can find such objects in your DBW 1.7.

Originally they appeared in an old mode called Ship Pack. There are few of them and I think they are just what you need :)

Helen-of-Sparta

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 01:01:59 PM »

If you do have this object you do wanted to maked to be adjusted at Static ini file then what is you can do is find for you his entry and adjust numbers at AlignToLand this can change for you angle at object, now if you do maked him to be higher object or to be lower object then you can maked to be included this line AddHeightLive and play with numbers to maked him to raise or to sink him object.  ;)

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 01:03:26 PM »

... I can confirm that there are damaged ships (tankers, destroyers, and cargo) that are slighly tilted in a ships mod, can't remember which one though ...  :(

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 01:03:42 PM »

I think you can find such objects in your DBW 1.7.

Originally they appeared in an old mode called Ship Pack. There are few of them and I think they are just what you need :)

I do know about one of two ships now that you mention it, but there are just 2 or so I believe. I was mainly thinking of wrecked landing craft, smaller ships and such, but especially wrecked landing craft which probably populated the landing beaches in large amounts ...

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 01:05:58 PM »

If you do have this object you do wanted to maked to be adjusted at Static ini file then what is you can do is find for you his entry and adjust numbers at AlignToLand this can change for you angle at object, now if you do maked him to be higher object or to be lower object then you can maked to be included this line AddHeightLive and play with numbers to maked him to raise or to sink him object.  ;)

I have been looking at the static ini entries, and with the aligntoland, I thought there was only 1 or 0, meaning either horizontal or flush to the landscape ... how would you get it to be set to an angle?

Flying H

• "And you can fly, high as a kite if you want to..
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 01:06:49 PM »

I have a hunsh someone was trying to make wrecks lieing keel up, a few years ago! I donĀ“t remeber who and what happened to the project, it may have been in AAA times! Anyone  else remember?
And you can fly, high as a kite, if you want to.........

asheshouse

• SAS Team

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 01:23:01 PM »

... I believe it is Asheshouse's mod

Here are a few screens, there are also 2 landing crafts models ...  ;)

Flying H

• "And you can fly, high as a kite if you want to..
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 01:23:54 PM »

Yeah ashe! Was it that recent!?
And you can fly, high as a kite, if you want to.........

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 01:27:30 PM »

... may be that one ...

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,12978.0.html

EDIT:

... yep, I confirm, and there is a DLC wreck and a small wreck ...  ;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 24 queries.