Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tales of the South Pacific  (Read 6045 times)

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
Tales of the South Pacific
« on: February 05, 2013, 05:37:21 PM »

Here are some screenshots of a new map that is almost ready. It's a fantasy map for once, somewhere in the vast South Pacific of James Mitchener and Commander McHale. It was fun to be able to focus on finding colorful textures and not having to worry overly much about populating - though there are airfields, bases, smugglers hideaways, plantations and secret signalling stations throughout the area.

This was inspired by the BTM Pacific Islands and Benghalli maps which are each enormous fun to fly in. And especially by the BTM Pacific Islands map which has the perfect type of forest rgb 24 textures and 3d trees to make the terrain look like tropical jungle ... for which thanks for figuring this aspect out.

Here are some screenshots:

352nd_Hoss

Re: Tales of the South Pacific
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 06:34:14 PM »

Nice screenie's Agracier, but I could not find the download link anywhere in em........ ???

Looks great

Cheers

Hoss

SAS~Gerax

• SAS Team
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 06:38:10 PM »

The pics looks very promising!  :)
i7-13700K, MSI RTX4090, Kingston 64GB, Asus Z790-P, Crucial SSD 1TB, Kingston SSD 4TB;

duffys tavern

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 07:06:07 PM »

This looks like a lotta' fun.

SAS~Bombsaway

• Choose your battles wisely.
  • SAS Team
  • A day without laughter is a day wasted
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 07:07:11 PM »

Oh no! Now I have competition! I thought everyone else wanted the ETO or Asian areas. Now what am I going to do? Woe is me. Woe is me. :) :) Seriously, your map looks fantastic. I really look forward to it. I love the Pacific. Those shots are amazing.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 01:11:20 AM »

Nice screenie's Agracier, but I could not find the download link anywhere in em........ ???

This is just a wip notification ... map in progress, sort of like a movie teaser ... it's not quite ready or download. Almost, but not quite. Give it a few more days ...

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 01:17:34 AM »

Oh no! Now I have competition! I thought everyone else wanted the ETO or Asian areas. Now what am I going to do? Woe is me. Woe is me. :) :) Seriously, your map looks fantastic. I really look forward to it. I love the Pacific. Those shots are amazing.

Well, the BTM Pacific Islands map was so engrossing and colorful and so convincingly Pacific jungle-like that I couldn't help it. And the nice part about such maps is that you can paint in every single pixel by hand and the work still stays very minimal so it can be done without it being a daunting task. And this way, every pixel has its place and you can really micro manage the landscapes.

Plus there are more than enough slots for even very small specifically textured areas ...

I even managed to stumble upon a Google Earth view of an airfield, presumably rather old, which made for a great airfield texture. There are never enough of these textures ...

panzerkeil

• Woof!
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 02:09:20 AM »

Looking forward to flying on another masterpiece!  Map is looking very beautiful.  :)

Catahoulak9

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 07:17:01 AM »

McHale's Navy vs Adventures in Paradise. It warms this old fart's heart. I can't wait.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 07:25:41 AM »

McHale's Navy vs Adventures in Paradise. It warms this old fart's heart. I can't wait.

Yup, old farts indeed ... ha ha. From long ago those programs.

My mother used to let me stay up way past my bedtime to watch 'Adventures in Paradise' and when we first went to Trader Vic's in New York it felt ever so exotic indeed. Of course that was long ago in the days before everyone ate raw fish and when sweet and sour chicken was the epitome of culinary adventurousness.

Gaston

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 09:37:47 AM »

Maps looks interesting !

By the way... what plane is this Japanese bomber we see on your screenshots ?

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 09:43:30 AM »

Maps looks interesting !

By the way... what plane is this Japanese bomber we see on your screenshots ?

The plane is the Northrop Gamma by DreamK ... it's skinned in Japanese markings and does a pretty good job of hacking for the Mitsubishi ki-15
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 25 queries.