Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you take off...  (Read 4367 times)

marcost

• Modder
  • Keep calm and run away
How do you take off...
« on: January 31, 2013, 01:06:46 PM »

not your socks  :-\

From standing on runway (in your aircraft Obviosleee) -  brakes on and power up then release brakes? Start a slow roll and gradually increase power? Full throttle and hold on tight? Lock tailwheel? Trim rudder against torque or kick it over?

And how was it really done in WW2? All aircraft the same or different for each type?

Interested to understand this better

Regards,

M

BravoFxTrt

• "BIGFOOT"
  • Modder
  • Flying Ass Clown #13
Re: How do you take off...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 01:20:05 PM »

Good Question.
MSI R9 280X 6GB x2/Crossfire /ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo/AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer 4core CPU/RAM Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB/ Corsair RM 1000WATT PSU/Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit

Blumax

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 01:38:28 PM »

First smoke a lot of weed until you are convinced that you are in perfect harmony with the cosmos, universe etc and nothing is impossible, then find a 300ft cliff and take a long run up ( about half a mile should do it as you're gonna need a good head of speed ), when you're about 10ft from the cliff start flapping your arms like fury and as you go over the edge a sudden anal discharge should give you all the thrust that you need to get you airbourne.......for about a second! as you plummet down screaming like a girl try and get some tips and advice from a passing bird before franticly searching for a ripcord, in the likely event that you can't find one then make like a cat and get your feet lower than your head and brace for impact, however if there is water below you then do the reverse, head down, feet up and stretch those arms out into a dive position before entering the water like Tom Daley on steroids and hope that there is a boat load of teenage girlies just off shore who are gonna be suitably impressed enough to fish you out with their bikini tops and dry you off with a group hug. If the water is less than 10ft deep then say a prayer and consult your God on what is about to happen next!........might also be a good idea to inform the coastguard before take off!  ;D

marcost

• Modder
  • Keep calm and run away
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 01:39:54 PM »

Thanks Blumax I amended my question  ;D

Ass Eagle

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 01:45:34 PM »

Me109G-14AS

Tail wheel locked, start engine, propeller to manual at 12 o'clock, open radiator flaps on manual, release brakes, maximum RPM, propeller to automatic, important to keep tail on ground, increase speed to 100-120 km/h, raise tail, when speed is 150-180 km/h the plane lifts off by itself, raise gear, flaps in. Throttle to cruise speed, check meters, make sure radiator flaps are on automatic.

Just like the real thing.

Typhoon Ib

• SAS Enfant terrible
  • unlock.inc
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 02:24:41 PM »

Typhoon:
engine
prop pitch 90
brakes off
a notch of flaps
check ailerons rudder elevator
trim all neutral

Brakes tight
Rad 4
engine 25
brakes off
slowly increase power, foot on rudder to keep straight.
Ailerons neutral!!

...tail rises, let it.
count to 5, when nose is almost straight,
gently pull her off the Runway.
gear up flaps up, start playing on trim.
Collecting dislikes since December '82.

BravoFxTrt

• "BIGFOOT"
  • Modder
  • Flying Ass Clown #13
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 02:31:04 PM »

F-4's  Kick the Tires then Light the Fire's  "AMF"
MSI R9 280X 6GB x2/Crossfire /ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo/AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer 4core CPU/RAM Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB/ Corsair RM 1000WATT PSU/Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit

marcost

• Modder
  • Keep calm and run away
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 02:39:19 PM »

Fascinating, thanks guys. I'm building a quadrant that will give me pitch and radiator control so looking forward to learning how to use those

BravoFxTrt

• "BIGFOOT"
  • Modder
  • Flying Ass Clown #13
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 02:46:07 PM »

Marcost, one heavily favored flight control you will want is "Trim" Button, if you can harness that in your creation, just a suggestion, Flight time is Fun time!

marcost

• Modder
  • Keep calm and run away
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 02:49:55 PM »

Hi Bravo  :),

Thanks I have made rotary controls for elevator, rudder, aileron trim. Do you mean trim reset button? And do I need separate reset buttons for each trim or just one 'master trim reset' do you think?

Thanks,

M

CorsairKira

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 03:14:01 PM »

Lock tail.  But not on carriers.  Rads full open.  Mixture 100%.  100% prop pitch.  Open canopy.  Full flaps for a carrier takeoff.  Look up the book for others. (Spits, F6F, etc had up or down, no takeoff setting)  Start.  Slowly add power to 50%ish.  Get speed, Rudder authority, then throttle slowly to 100.  Aircraft gives a wiggle as the tail comes up and I readjust rudder.  Usually I'll let it fly itself off, if not, around 120kts/MPH or so, I'll pull it off.  As soon as I'm off and stable, I bring the prop pitch back to 90%, where it stays until landing unless absolutely necessary.  This helps keep the RPMs down and the engine temps under control.  For short field (carriers) 100% power in chocks, then release.  Rads to half at speed unless necessary for something else.

BravoFxTrt

• "BIGFOOT"
  • Modder
  • Flying Ass Clown #13
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 03:19:21 PM »

Marcost, This is just an example of an F-4 Sick Grip, but it may lead you to where I would go as far as your Creation could possibly be, and like I once asked, if you Mass Produce it, I want one, lol

http://books.google.com/books?id=oeJuJtjK4k0C&pg=SA1-PA90&lpg=SA1-PA90&dq=F-4+Trim+Button&source=bl&ots=NZcstmljNO&sig=fpNJVvt_tvnpHeNCw4kbDVHULhI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=VEcJUa6mOMOO2wWjzYHIAg&sqi=2&ved=0CEIQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=F-4%20Trim%20Button&f=false
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.