Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1941 Aviation Themed Pinup  (Read 2837 times)

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
1941 Aviation Themed Pinup
« on: January 29, 2013, 03:54:33 AM »

Just something I found from 1941. A very tame pinup cover with an aviation theme ...

pic hosting

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
Re: 1941 Aviation Themed Pinup
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 04:01:01 AM »

ahh yes, the gay old days, lol  :D
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

alotef

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 04:33:51 AM »

Fantastic!  :D
~Mike

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 06:53:47 AM »

Very cool artsy cover, I like it. Thanks for posting.
Its got that classic 1940´s look to the art and the 1940s style title  ;D

For those younger members of our forum that are not aware of what that word means... "GAYETY"
it does not mean its a "gay" (homosexual) magazine, but a FUNNY and COMIC style magazine.
The phrase word "to be gay and happy" in the common everyday language of the 1800s and used
until about the late 1950s meant that something was fun and happy. Only recently has that
word become used to describe a person with sexual tendencies torwards another person with
the same sex. Language is always evolving just like us humans, but sometimes it gets to be
a little confusing (and tricky) to understand, if you don´t know your history and the past.

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

Ghost129er

• EX F.A.C. #65
  • Ghost of the skies.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 07:02:37 AM »

I'd love to have one of those REAL posters, I sometimes get posters printed on special papers, and get them weathered by pro's to get them to look real, gives me the back in time feeling, I was just listening to Jane's WWII Fighters museum music, all jazz, swing, etc and it went so well!

@Max:
I really appreciate how you explained that, I didn't have any such thought about the poster's Gayety until I read your post, but I'm not blaming your or saying you twisted anything, but yeah, it would be nice because not many people my age get this stuff, and it's a pity. You get what I'm saying, right? :O
But whenever they talked about him, they always had a slight smile on their faces.. And that, perhaps, maybe your answer.

barrett_g

• Modder
  • Jug Lover
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 08:35:37 AM »

Is there a thread devoted to pin up art?  Seems like this forum needs a collection somewhere!  Maybe some of the artists could convert them into nose art for IL2!

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 08:45:45 AM »

Ha ha ... you younger guys can be a riot sometimes .... Gayety having to do with modern gays ... ha ha. It never even crossed my mind that anyone would mistake the meaning ... things change ... and how.

Which reminds me: in the song 'Tipperary' when Paddy-O comes to London, he thought everyone was gay ... though back in 1914 that simply meant being of somewhat loose morals, or being inclined to have fun whenever possible, go drinking on the town and such kind of more innocent activities. I've been gone from the US since 1963, and back then when I was young, I never ever heard gay being used in the modern sense. In fact, I didn't even know what the modern sense would have been either back then ... ha ha.

There are other changes in meaning that can sometimes be confusing to the younger generation. In old 1940's movies for instance, 'making love to someone' was not meant to describe what it now does. It simply meant declaring your love for someone, showing your affection, holding hands, with maybe some kissing or light petting ... you should be able to find examples of this turn of phrase in any number of Abbott and Costello or Marx Brothers movies for instance ...

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 08:52:52 AM »

I'd love to have one of those REAL posters,

This particular illustration would probably not have been made as a poster, but as some sort of artwork - watercolor, acrylic or whatever. The sad part about this kind of artwork is that it was never really appreciated as anything but a commercial activity, about as low on the climb to artistry as you could get. Far below anyone's real notice.

Most of the artwork was perhaps stored temporarily, but mostly thrown away after a period of time. Sometimes it might be auctioned off wholesale when a publisher moved offices or went out of business. More often, the whole shebang just went to the dump unless someone chanced upon it and realized that today's pulp fiction magazine cover, just might be tomorrow's collectible ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 22 queries.