Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Aircraft templates in IL2, technical questions  (Read 6167 times)

BIOSURGE

• WOLVERINE
  • WISH I WAS AT 65000 FEET IN A JET
Aircraft templates in IL2, technical questions
« on: January 29, 2013, 01:28:09 AM »

I am not a programmer nor am I adept at the drawing and painting of the aircraft in the IL2 series of flight sims. I have a nagging, at least to me, question about the ability of the programming to make sense of the template and turn it into a viable and very nice looking aircraft. I hope what I am asking to explain   makes sense to whomever reads this posting.
The aircraft templates are in a seemingly chaotic from of 2d representation that is later painted, or colorized by very talented individual(s). I am at a loss as to the method that is used to turn the 2d representation of the aircraft into a 3d flying simulation. My other question is how does one make a template to begin with. What program is used to make the line drawing of the various aircraft and then what is used to color the aircraft for the finished and usable form of sim. Thank you in advance for your help and kind attention to my lack of knowledge.
JOE "BIOSURGE" WOLFGANG MOZART

Verhängnis

• Unofficial Heinkel Fan
  • Modder
Re: Aircraft templates in IL2, technical questions
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 02:33:24 AM »

The aircraft are 3d models, with 2d planform textures applied to them. A template as referred to in skinning is just a layered image document in a format like .psd which can be rapidly use by the less crafty of us to create amazing paintschemes.

I don't know where you fostered the idea that the models in the sim were created from a flat 2d texture. ???

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 03:53:20 AM »

I'm not a 3d expert but I'd look for tutorials on the internet if I had to create something in 3ds max:

http://www.republicofcode.com/tutorials/3ds/texture_stealth/

BIOSURGE

• WOLVERINE
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 04:32:55 AM »

Observation....I looked at the blank templates and they appear to be 2d line drawings. Am I not correct in that observation??

I need more clarification though. Please understand I am a 55 year old, who is not at all familiar with the mechanics and the processing involved with model making. I am a hardware guy from way back though, and can build a system with my eyes closed. Which at my age is usually how I am..lol
Thank You Very much fro your Quick response. I am very impressed with this site and the simmers in it.
I would like as much information I can get from all of you due to your experience and expertise. I have tried to look online for the info, but I am not sure how to even phrase my question for the correct links to answer my inquiries.

To be a little more specific, how does the sim change the flat appearance of the template into an apparent 3d aircraft model that can be flown in the sim???? This is one of my many questions.
Thanks Again..

BTW, where are you from??

joe

BIOSURGE

• WOLVERINE
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 04:44:51 AM »

VPMEDIA<

Took your suggestions for sites to check..This has helped quite a bit..Still confused, but not as much as I was yesterday at this time..LOL

ThankYou,

Joe

Verhängnis

• Unofficial Heinkel Fan
  • Modder
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 06:16:08 AM »

The 3d models are made in special programs (3dsmax, lightwave, maya, blender, gmax etc). You'll take the orthographic projections of the aircraft you are modelling as 2d images and import them into the program. You then use a wide range of tools, often just starting from regular shapes and extruding them into the desired shape. We can then export this into a certain file type which IL-2 reads.
We map 2d textures as paintschemes on to each triangle that makes up the mesh.

Typhoon Ib

• SAS Enfant terrible
  • unlock.inc
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »

so, it is like wrapping a blanket over the object.
and then painting that blanket.
http://www.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/~thormae/lectures/graphics1/media/vectorart/face2_texture.png
Collecting dislikes since December '82.

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 10:56:02 PM »

The template creation (with other words creating textures for the 3d model) is at the end of the process which looks like this (I only learned little 3d in the 90's so dont laugh)

step1. 3d modelling
step2. assigning textures to different parts of the 3d model (mapping)
step3. exporting a picture (UV map) with outlines of the texture areas + wireframe lines
step4. creating detail textures in Photosop based on that picture
step5. saving  in psd format and publishing it for others to create their own textures

Importing your 3d model into the game is a whole new story, I dont know much about that.
But the important thing is that a psd template is not required when you start the modelling work.
What most people use is a high res drawing which shows the aircraft from all sides.

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 08:34:42 AM »

so, it is like wrapping a blanket over the object.
and then painting that blanket.

That is about as simple a description as you can say. Yes, indeed it is. It is wrapping a blanket over the 3d-model.
It is like dressing up a lady with nice clothes, that is the way I like to think..
A nice coat (or skin) makes the ugly lady look like a fashion model  ;D

What you see on a 1024x1024 IL2 game skin (or smaller skins) is all the diferent parts painted that will be "covered" into
the overall airplane. Everything from the wings, fuselage, wheels, cockpit details, propeller, struts and many
other miscelanious parts which will be viewed once the airplane 3-D model shows up in the game flying.

There are other "skins" which come as part of the main airplane but cannot be changed as the normal 1024x1024
skins we often use to change around to choose to fly with.
These other skins make up diferent parts for when you view the inside
of the cockpit and the diferent switches and dashboard instruments. There are also "damage skins" which will
only show themselves when the airplane gets shot at, and many other skins which make up all sorts of
visual effects and cannot be changed all the time. You can change them and re-paint them to your preferences if
you so which, but they must always remain inside that special folder which make up the entire airplane work properly
in the game.

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 09:00:51 AM »

It is like dressing up a lady with nice clothes

please max, can i order one in a pink negligee?   ;D  8)
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 09:08:42 AM »

It is like dressing up a lady with nice clothes

please max, can i order one in a pink negligee?   ;D  8)

Give me a minute...  ;)

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 09:40:43 AM »

Here you go, download a Fokker DR.1 "Killer Kitty"  ;D

-----------> https://www.mediafire.com/?po9r9p014gp7v0p#!

This one is for my little girl Goddaughter to fly in
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 22 queries.