Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Paddle Steamer PS Ryde  (Read 11671 times)

asheshouse

• SAS Team
Paddle Steamer PS Ryde
« on: December 05, 2012, 08:26:45 AM »

The PS Ryde and her sister ship PS Sandown were built in the 1930's to serve as passenger ferries in the Solent area of the English Channel. In 1939 they were both requisitioned by the Royal Navy, initially as minesweepers then later converted to AA ships. HMS Ryde was present both at Dunkirk and at the Normandy landings providing AA cover for the invasion fleet.

Civilian Colours

In Military guise, with added guns.

The model has been generously provided by Captain Bazza and converted to IL-2 format by myself. It was created by Bazza for a rail simulation where its role as a passenger ferry for the Southern Railway was the main area of interest.

Download here:  http://www.mediafire.com/?3vybvd7b7mwcciy

Installation instructions are provided in the model folder (in: \ShipAshe\3do\Ships\PSRyde\). Unzip the download to a temporary folder on Desktop and follow instructions from that point. Compatible with v4.10 and v4.11 mod installations. Tested in HSFX 6.0.17

This model shows the vessel in its civilian guise. A military version may follow later.

http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12236

Thirty seven paddle steamers were requisitioned in 1939 and were originally formed into six minesweeping flotillas, the 7th to the 12th. The 7th with 7 vessels was based on Rosyth; the 8th, 5 vessels on North Shields; the 9th, 7 vessels on Falmouth; the 10th, 8 vessels on Dover; the 11th, 5 vessels on Greenock and the 12th, 5 vessels, on Harwich. By 1943, this had been reduced to one flotilla [the 7th] of 3 vessels based on Granton {on the Forth near Edinburgh} and a further two were employed on training duties. The remaining paddler's had been converted to Auxiliary A.A. vessels [known as 'Eagle' ship's] or were being used as accommodation ships. Paddle minesweepers were originally armed with a 12 pdr A.A. gun forward and several light A.A. pieces elsewhere, to be used for their own defence.

Please post any bug reports here.
I will be interested in any comments on FPS.
To compensate for the high poly count I've reduced the texture sizes considerably which works ok for me.

Instructions to create a ship.ini file (if you don't have one already)  -- to enable Object Viewer for PS Ryde
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,30662.msg326397.html#msg326397

Kopfdorfer

• Potez 63.11 France's most significant AC in 1940
Re: Paddle Steamer PS Ryde
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 09:07:22 AM »

Really great addition, Asheshouse.

Kopfdorfer

SAS~Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
  • I'm French and Rebel_409! Nobody is perfect!
    • Some tinkering here
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 10:15:56 AM »

Thank you very much !  :) :)

Installation instructions are provided in the model folder.
For those who, like me, have not mastered the English language... the installation file is located in: \ShipAshe\3do\Ships\PSRyde\  ;)
A bove ante, ab asino retro, a stulto undique caveto.

ggrewe

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 11:33:04 AM »

Great job with the conversion Ashe – thanks very much for adding this wonderful model  ;D

crazyeddie

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 12:01:29 PM »

Beautiful, perfect for the Cross Channel trade WW1.

Many thanks for this one Ashe.

cgagan

• SAS Team
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 09:22:52 PM »

Master shipbuilder, many thanks!!!! 8)

Mixx

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 05:12:00 AM »

Master Asheshouse!Thank you for a beautiful ship!
Bravo!

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 05:25:49 AM »

The beauty of the ship is all down to Captain Bazza.
All I have done is to convert it to IL-2.

Ashe

stanislao

• Modder
Re: Maybe there is a possibility ..
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 08:09:00 AM »

:)    :)    :)    :-\ 
From parts of the old heroic CFS2 there is a site with an incredible number of models of Japanese warships, American and British, huge attention to detail, so spectacular that for years I have continued to keep installation of CFS2 in my computer for the only pleasure of admiring them ... . It would be great if you Asheshouse or some  modeling teacher was able to transfer files in Il2 .. would really be a treasure trove of wonders .. I attach some pictures captured on the site and I guarantee them  not give completely honor to the models live!
I forgot ... if someone wants to visit and try to download some model here's the link : http://www.geocities.jp/usio_no_ibuki/index.htm

CruiserKent

HMSLively

DestroyerFabuki

CruiserNogami

ArmedMerchantCruiserAsakamaru

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »

Two things are required.

1. The model must be available in a format which can easily be imported into 3ds Max.
2. The original model maker must agree, subject to credits being given, that the model can be converted for use in IL-2.

Maybe you could make enquiries with  Usio no Ibuki.

Models which were originally released in CFS2 can probably not be used. Firstly because it may be difficult to convert the model files to 3ds. Secondly because we would not have the permission of Microsoft to use them, so posting download links might result in "difficulties" for SAS Management.

You should not make the mistake of thinking that converting the models to IL-2 is easy and quick to do.
The model structure would need to be changed. Some re-mapping of textures may be required. All the gun functions would need to be created by fixing pivot points effect hooks etc, and all that just for the LOD0. There are then the other LOD's to create, shadow meshes, collision boxes and then the same all again for the damaged version of the model. So it is quicker than starting from nothing but still takes a lot of time to do.

Don't forget that we do this for fun. It is more fun to create a model from nothing than to process the work of another.

Ashe

magot

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 10:53:56 AM »

@Ashe
Thx, I like this pre-war ships.
have you anywhere JSGME folder for install in clear HSFX6.017?

Alex840

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 11:08:15 AM »

Nice addition!

I want to see this in DBW1916!!!

More old ships please!!!

;D  ;D  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 27 queries.