Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible Pacific air war "Band of Brothers" series  (Read 12313 times)

ANDYTOTHED

• Modder
  • angle computing gunsights
Re: Possible Pacific air war "Band of Brothers" series
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2013, 04:11:42 AM »

I had been thinking, hoping, that with the Great War Centennial coming up in 2014, that HBO might be thinking of doing something in the nature of the Band of Brothers series, but then on the Great War. Even if it probably would inevitably involve the relatively minor involvement of American fighting units in relation to the rest of the war, it would be an appropriate moment to make a quality series on the Great War. And HBO does do a great job when it comes to combat realism ...

But another series on the Pacific airwar would be fine too.

The problem is, that unless it is air combat, then it will literally be the same situation over and over again until very late war.

RedSpade

• Thankful to all modders
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2013, 05:53:09 AM »

.... hoping, that with the Great War Centennial coming up in 2014, that HBO might be thinking of doing something in the nature of the Band of Brothers series, but then on the Great War.

I had not considered that, Andytothed, but I would really like to see that one.  The Great War was so horrible, that it is difficult for me to truly imagine myself participating in.

ANDYTOTHED

• Modder
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2013, 06:02:50 AM »

I quoted from Agracier.

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2013, 06:22:46 AM »

I had not considered that, Andytothed, but I would really like to see that one.  The Great War was so horrible, that it is difficult for me to truly imagine myself participating in.

In some countries, despite the huge amount of WWII inspired media productions available, the Great War is actually more omnipresent and conspicuous in the real world. And it was the original prime mover for so many of the social and political conditions and situations that define modern life. It may be something of a joke in slightly bad taste, but WWII was really a sort of Great War Extended Version ... essentially the same conflict with a very long intermission ...

And with the end of the Cold War and the demise of the Soviet union, all the old factors and disputes and conflicts that were so intrinsically related to the Great War, have once again become more relevant. It is simply fascinating to show how things were 100 years ago.

Moggy Cattermole

• Lt Clack, Lt Boyce, Cpl Pike, PC Palmer
  • Modder
  • 1RIFLES - 1QDG - 4SCOTS - MPS 2185SO
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2013, 07:03:34 AM »

Andy, it won't at all. One of the most interesting things about the war is how things changed in terms of tactics and methods even before the climactic operation Michael and the aftermath of the Hundred Days. Trust me, I could outline various different timings and all and give you far more than 9 episodes of men walking toward machine guns slowly in the same old fashion and the one episode where somehow everything changes.

Oh what a lovely war and blackadder have a lot to answer for really..

ANDYTOTHED

• Modder
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2013, 07:15:22 AM »

Well world war 1 did begin a great cycle of other wars. It's fallout has never really blown away.

AG-51_Razor

• Air Group 51
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2013, 12:47:49 PM »

Assuming it is set in the Pacific and it is about the air war, I really hope they keep the CGI stuff to a minimum. There are plenty of FM-2's and TBM's out there to gather together a pretty good story about the war in the Pacific. If it winds up being anything like the "Red Tails" I don't think I'd be interested in wasting my time watching it. Think about "633 Squadron", "The War Lover", "12 O'clock High", "Catch 22" and "Tora Tora Tora" !!!  ;)

Ala13_ManOWar

• Modder
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »

Looks like its Air war but Europe being the focus

HBO‘s long-in-the-works World War II miniseries project from Band Of Brothers and The Pacific producers Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks, has acquired the rights to Donald L. Miller’s book Masters Of The Air: America’s Bomber Boys Who Fought The Air War Against Nazi Germany, which may be joined by other source material

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/steven-spielberg-tom-hanks-third-world-war-ii-miniseries-secures-source-material/
But, didn't we talked about it probably (although not confirmed) will be about bomb air war in Europe?  :P   :D

Anyway I hope also, whatever scenery, it will be a good filmed thing like previous ones, with real aircraft in flight and so like real tanks and reenactment units in previous ones. A digital effects thing like red tails, flyboys, or so would screw it all.

S!

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2013, 01:41:20 PM »

Right about the digital effects. Directors often think more is better and end up with something so utterly silly and unrealistic as to ruin the rest of the movie ...

However it must be said that with the Pacific, I am assuming they also used cgi planes, and here it seemed very subdued and believable. I was watching 'Thin Red Line' last night and it also struck me how sparingly they showed aircraft in scenes and therefore how much more believable everything seemed. I would think some of these were cgi as well, but am not really certain.

Which goes to say that it's the director and support team who can go whichever way they want with cgi ultimately.

LuseKofte

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2013, 01:45:09 PM »

Well if anyone here belive they going to make a movie based on what the combatsim community wants . Then this community would be a lot bigger. No producer would listen to our wishes and get a best seller

US_GRANT

• Modder
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2013, 02:36:12 PM »

Wish they'd move away from the American side of things, I'm actually a little sick of constantly seeing/hearing about it.
  Being an American I already know about a lot of that history, so yes to see a different point of view would be a welcome relief.  Clint Eastwood did a war movie called "Flags of our Fathers" which was OK, but his follow-up movie "Letters from Iwo Jima" was the same battle but from a Japanese soldier's point of view.  That was far more interesting to me. 

Hans Hellmut Kirst, is known for his Gunner Asch series of books, which presents WW2 from a German infantryman's perspective; a common man in an impossible situation.   Kirst uses a unique blend of deadpan humor and devastating satire in his writing style.  I thought they were wonderful reads for a different perspective.

I like the idea of a series about a Russian squad of soldiers, that would be great.  A story about the Norwegian Resistance movement would be great.  Or how about an Italian squad in North Africa?  Or the South Africans attack in Madagascar?  So much history so little time.   :)

Question Are there any good WW2 Naval series of books anyone can recommend?

I have to say, I too watched both and I think "Letters" was better.

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2013, 04:12:22 PM »

AH! but let us not forget that Steven Spielberg recently made a film based on WW1 and with a guy who loves his horse. So a WW1 series might be in the making.
Boy loves his horse, boy looses his horse, horse goes to war, boy joins the war to find his horse and in the end they both live happilly ever after.  :P
MMMMmmmmmbrrrr, yeaaahooo Nelly!

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 20 queries.