Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible Pacific air war "Band of Brothers" series  (Read 12321 times)

Phas3e

• Skinner
  • Skinner
Possible Pacific air war "Band of Brothers" series
« on: November 16, 2012, 12:03:45 AM »

HBO is considering a possible sequal to 'Band of Brothers' and 'The Pacific'

http://collider.com/hbo-band-of-brothers-series/204805/

Early days but heres hoping :)

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups - George Carlin

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
Re: Possible Pacific air war "Band of Brothers" series
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 12:09:04 AM »

Cooooool  8) I can´t wait to see it.
They already did the ETO, the PTO now we need to see Russian side of Band of Brothers

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

CWMV

• Kalashnikov connoisseur
  • Modder
  • A free people ought to be armed and disciplined.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 12:09:30 AM »

So...pacific you say?
Dang. Cant win em all! :D

Cooooool  8) I can´t wait to see it.
They already did the ETO, the PTO now we need to see Russian side of Band of Brothers

I was actually thinking if they wanted Drama they need to follow a Luftwaffe unit from the fall of France to the Siege of Berlin. Talk about ups and downs!

Verhängnis

• Unofficial Heinkel Fan
  • Modder
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 12:48:06 AM »

I saw the Pacific but not Band of Brothers. Hopefully it goes ahead and they broadcast it here too. And some Luftwaffe action would be epic, although for a difference, why not Russian?  :)

Moggy Cattermole

• Lt Clack, Lt Boyce, Cpl Pike, PC Palmer
  • Modder
  • 1RIFLES - 1QDG - 4SCOTS - MPS 2185SO
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 01:35:28 AM »

I'd like to see a version of for 1st / 95th in the peninsular was. Lots of action, heroics, characters who last out the war. Could be very investing. Based off for a start, mark urban's Rifles.

A Russian one would be interesting, or a British or yes, commonwealth one too.

alotef

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 04:13:55 AM »

Wish they'd move away from the American side of things, I'm actually a little sick of constantly seeing/hearing about it.  ::)
Would appreciate a Japanese or German-perspective this time around. Far more interesting.
~Mike

Moggy Cattermole

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 04:55:01 AM »

The main market of course is the USA. Would they have it in the native language of the troops? With subtitles. Or accented English (ve must moof out, Herr gruppenfuhrer, ze. Americanisch are kommen!)? Both are hardly ideal, and it's easier to concentrate on the US, which would appeal to the largest audience and be easiest.

FlatSpinMan

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 05:42:20 AM »

Also, they're American people making so let them make what they want. That said, it'd be really interesting seeing anything from the German Luftwaffe and the Russians perspectives, too.

RedSpade

• Thankful to all modders
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 05:47:14 AM »

Wish they'd move away from the American side of things, I'm actually a little sick of constantly seeing/hearing about it.
  Being an American I already know about a lot of that history, so yes to see a different point of view would be a welcome relief.  Clint Eastwood did a war movie called "Flags of our Fathers" which was OK, but his follow-up movie "Letters from Iwo Jima" was the same battle but from a Japanese soldier's point of view.  That was far more interesting to me. 

Hans Hellmut Kirst, is known for his Gunner Asch series of books, which presents WW2 from a German infantryman's perspective; a common man in an impossible situation.   Kirst uses a unique blend of deadpan humor and devastating satire in his writing style.  I thought they were wonderful reads for a different perspective.

I like the idea of a series about a Russian squad of soldiers, that would be great.  A story about the Norwegian Resistance movement would be great.  Or how about an Italian squad in North Africa?  Or the South Africans attack in Madagascar?  So much history so little time.   :)

Question Are there any good WW2 Naval series of books anyone can recommend?

alotef

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 06:00:18 AM »

You're right Redspade, Letters from Iwo Jima was brilliant. Heart-wrenching stuff.
~Mike

Moggy Cattermole

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 06:37:12 AM »

Kirsts' books are good, but they're very much like Bernard Cornwell's in as much as they're very similar characters, or so I thought. There'll be the ardent, comitted Nazi (1) with few if any redeemable features - usually the main antagonist; (2) the officers who fight for the fatherland but have no great love of Hitler, but carry on because they always have; (3) the rebellious and pretty young girl who goes against her parent's views (i.e. usually is sympathetic to the allied cause); (4) an enemy of Germany who might work with the protagonist because they are more interested in some higher cause despite their being ostensibly on opposing sides; (5) a fat, genial person (usually a corporal or Gefreiter), who is more interested in surviving - not a Nazi, not a freedom fighter, one who aims to amiably amble through the war in as much relative comfort as possible; and finally the protagonist (6) - usually some skilled individual who is patriotic, but hates Nazism, and will fight to bring down the regime, and save those who they care about regardless of risk.

In a similar way, Cornwell's books have characters who are very similar across his books in all but name and setting.

Don't get me wrong, they are good fun books, but something of a product of their time and, as one might expect, they take a certain attitude that was very prevalent in the first few decades after the war in Germany. There are very well written, and quite funny as had been said though.

WhamO

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 06:44:19 AM »

i loved band of brothers, but really wasn't overly impressed with The Pacific. Perhaps if they'd stuck with one unit as they did in BoB. Would've thought that after ETO and PTO they would've done MTO, but i won't argue with anything they do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 20 queries.