Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Re-work of Agracier/CzechTexan Viet Minh map.  (Read 9797 times)

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
Re: Re-work of Agracier/CzechTexan Viet Minh map.
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 07:01:14 PM »

I've included the map in a new folder so this is the entry for the all file:

ag_cztx_PS_Viet_Minh ag_cztx_PS_Viet_Minh/load.ini
hello Pete.  I would not mind if you took the "cztx" out of the load.ini

I think if you just mentioned me in the credits that that would be enough.  I didn't really do very much with this map.  At first I intended to do alot more but got involved in other projects.  It's really good to see what you have done with this map, so far.  I'd bet agracier feels the same way but I can't speak for him.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 11:44:34 AM »

Hello CzechTexan, glad you like the changes so far.  As for the naming, for now I'll leave as is if you don't mind because there aren't any credits at the moment.  There are others who have expressed a wish to do some work on the map but right now it stands as is and the load in essence is the credits for us that have contributed so far.  Irrespective of how much or little an individual thinks their contribution the fact is without it the map wouldn't be what it is now.  I don't yet know if or how the map will progress from here but it may be that it gets a new name and if a multitude of people have made some contribution by way of textures or detailing then I will include a readme with a credit list to acknowledge each individuals contribution, until we get to that stage I think it is best just left as it is for now.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 12:56:15 PM »

Alright.  I only added a few ground objects like around Haiphong and made the airfields.  I'm most proud of the airfields at Hanoi and Haiphong.  Tried to get them to look like old photos.  The far northwest airfield is a good one too but it was tricky trying to locate these airfields in the best spot so that the A/I can make a good landing and not crash into mountains.  I won't mind if you locate the others in their correct spots or even change the look of them.  But all airfields were tested so that takeoff and landings (by prop a/c) would not have crashes.
Keep up the good work!

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 12:15:21 PM »

Hello CzechTexan, I have a number of photographs of the main airfields in North Vietnam sent to me by Anatoli, it was he who detailed Tan Son Nhut and the French fortified camps on the South Vietnam map, however, I have been too preoccupied with adding the roads and altering the terrain to actually compare your airfields with those images so at the moment as far as I'm concerned there is no actual need for me to alter any of the detail you have already added to the map, although I would never say never.
I have, as already pointed out, adjusted the wharfs and the buildings around them in Hanoi but only to help them blend better with the re-drawn river there, nothing else has actually been removed or altered, my thoughts are that it would probably be added to if anything.

I've used most if not all of the airfields on the map while surveying the roads as I added them and can confirm they work perfectly well where they are, so again not really much point in moving them, don't fix what isn't broken me thinks.  From the trials and tribulations of getting airfields working on the South Vietnam map I can vouch for the pain it is to get them to function well especially in hilly terrain, there was quite a considerable amount of runway shifting and terrain adjustment necessary to get them to function, this was not always entirely successfull but compromise is the name of the game here as it is not possible to replicate things exactly as you would wish or place things exactly where they probably should be. ;)

As far as I'm concerned you did a tremendous job adding the detail and the airfields.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 02:32:52 PM »

Hello guys, it has been some time since I last did anything with this map, installing Windows 7 and the loss of various things during that process meant I nearly left it as is for good.  I had started to adapt my old Indochina Vichy campaign to use this map for the early missions, but that was one of the things lost so I kind of lost the heart to do it.  This map really is a pain for map builder and mission builder, why I do not know, but it takes forever to do anything with it, loading and adding things takes an age.  The roads took me months and to be honest I very nearly abandoned it.  However, I always have kept hold of my PMs from Anotoli and he had provided me with one of the very few good photographs of Tong Airfield, so I have finally decided to have a go at adding it to the map.  Whether I do anything else with it once I finish the airfield I do not yet know.

Tong Airfield some time in the late Thirties, early Forties:

There is actually no modern evidence of the existence of the airfield, but it is supposedly in or near to Santay, which is about 30 miles outside of Hanoi, ish.

The topography of the map does not look exactly as the photograph but I have placed it where I think it resembles it as best as can be. ;)

The detailing is rudementary at the moment but at least the airfield is now finally on the map, whether it is where it should be is another thing. :D

I will upload an update when I have finished trying to put in the detail in the photograph, Anatoli does that sort of thing so much better than I do, but stay tuned. :P

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 03:16:45 PM »

Good job and it's good that you got things going again.  I've had computer crashes before while working on maps and I know it's very frustrating! 
About long loading times...did you convert the textures files to "indexed" instead of RGB as I remember they were?  That's the only thing I can think of that can cause that.

farang65

• never two weeks two decades
  • SAS Team
  • Fortress Formosa
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 06:17:15 PM »

Hi Pete,

You seem to have a unique fixation for SE Asia.   ;D :D

I'm sure the quality of detail will be as awesome as your Sth Vietnam map.

I enjoy all SE Asian maps obviously living in the area.   :D

One day will travel to Vietnam mostly Thailand and Laos for now.

Cheers

Kirby

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 05:12:16 AM »

Hello CzechTexan, I'm actually using most of the textures from my South Vietnam map on this rather than the original ones, but they have been indexed.  I even uped the RAM settings in the map builder which gave a slight improvement, however this map is kind of like what the Fabianfred Thailand map used to be, a pain to do anything with.  It could be the actual size, not sure, but no other map seems to give me as much grief. :'(  In the map builder it is bad enough, in sim it actually loads very well but when an aircraft waypoint is added it takes forever to appear on the map and even making small changes to the position of those waypoints is painfull.  Compared to other maps there is not a huge amount of detail, but maybe the type of objects has an effect though. :-\  I will persevere but it will be slowly, once you loose the plot it is not easy to pick it up again. ;)

Hello Kirby, yes I guess I do have a fixation on this area. :P  Someone has to cover the less glamerous but equally important areas of aviation history, so here I am for my sins. :)

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 05:38:25 AM »

... but when an aircraft waypoint is added it takes forever to appear on the map and even making small changes to the position of those waypoints is painfull. 

I used to have that exact same problem on a number of maps - I found out that (on my install at least) it is caused by the 2048 skins mod. Disable the 2048 skins mod and the intolerable long delay disappears. Note that this is not the case with 2048 textures. The delay occurs only when the 2048 Skins mod is activated ...

So, for me it was an easy choice. Deactivate 2048 skins, but keep 2048 textures.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 06:03:27 AM »

I will take a look at that Agracier to see if it helps with mission building, thank you very much. ;)

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 06:24:50 AM »

I'm pleased to say that deactivating the 2048 textures mod did exactly what you said Agracier for mission building, nice one, thank you very much. 8)  Just have to remember to switch it back on or else little pink aircraft. ;)

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 06:27:56 AM »

I'm glad it helped and also sort of glad to hear you confirm it as well ... this way I know it's not just a quirk in my own install, but something inherent in the mod itself ..
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 25 queries.