Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Command and Control version 3.031  (Read 83689 times)

barrett_g

• Modder
  • Jug Lover
Re: Command and Control version 3.031
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2013, 11:12:29 PM »

Please excuse my ignorance of this mod... I downloaded it and read though the readme... But haven't installed it yet (backing up my files first).

In the readme it sounded as though the Rescap object was limited to a helicopter.... Whereas the SAR object could be any plane (so long as it was a floatplane I assume).

Is my understanding correct?

What I'm wanting to do... Is if my wingman develops engine trouble in his P-47 behind enemy lines and skids in... I want to land my P-47 in the field next to his plane... Rescue him... And take off again.

Is something like that possible?

There are several historical accounts of this happening if a wingman crashed in a field suitable enough for a landing... It was very risky though!

Thanks for any clarification!
Barrett

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2013, 11:57:01 PM »

What I'm wanting to do... Is if my wingman develops engine trouble in his P-47 behind enemy lines and skids in... I want to land my P-47 in the field next to his plane... Rescue him... And take off again.

Aside from the possibilities afforded by this new mod, you will have to keep in mind that n Il-2, you cannot always land a plane on a random field. Chances are the terrain will not be flat enough and even should it be, the game is very tough on landings outside of prepared airfields, invariably your plane will most likely flip over on attempting to land.

The landing characteristics of planes are, I think, contained in the FM, which is why that some aircraft - mainly biplanes and older types, or also recon types - have an easier time of landing outside an airfield. That is how they were designed and the game reflects that.

There have also been suggestions that from now on a whole map be designated a friction mod zone, meaning that emergency landings should be possible on flat terrain. However, as far as I know, no map has that feature yet. It is easy to implement however, should a map maker wish to do so.

barrett_g

• Modder
  • Jug Lover
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2013, 12:37:38 AM »

I have successfully landed the P-47 on the ground before... Although it was very hairy!!!  The tail bounced quite a bit and I grit my teeth fearing a nose over... But come to think of it I didn't try to take off again...

What you say about the map makers is very interesting!

IL-2 has so many features being worked out... The next year or two seems to be very exciting!

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2013, 12:52:47 AM »

There have also been suggestions that from now on a whole map be designated a friction mod zone, meaning that emergency landings should be possible on flat terrain. However, as far as I know, no map has that feature yet. It is easy to implement however, should a map maker wish to do so.

hi agracier, i am very interested in this procedure, and would like to hear a bit more on how to do it myself, if possible.
i am currently taking some self-enforced vacation from the forum business, concentrating on my game install and other real world activities.
when i return, i'd like to pursue this a bit more, so i might come knocking on your door a few weeks from now, to get said advice, if you don't mind .. :D
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2013, 01:00:19 AM »

hi agracier, i am very interested in this procedure, and would like to hear a bit more on how to do it myself, if possible.
i am currently taking some self-enforced vacation from the forum business, concentrating on my game install and other real world activities.
when i return, i'd like to pursue this a bit more, so i might come knocking on your door a few weeks from now, to get said advice, if you don't mind .. :D

There is a little utility that makes friction zones. Zuti's Friction Mod Extractor. You start by making a normal mis file, but only place two stationary objects in a square pattern - upper lefthand corner and lower righthand corner - and inside that imaginary box, there will be a friction free zone, suitable for landing.

You place as many of these stationary objects as you wish, then run the utility with the resulting mis. file and take the resulting text and paste it into the load.ini. Piece of cake.

Someone said that there is no reason why a whole map could not be a friction er of course.

I have a map just about ready, with friction airfields ... maybe I can try it out as a whole friction free map.

You will however loose the possibility of adjusting the friction coefficient per airfield. Which is a nice thing, since t can give each airfield a different feel wen landing - rough, smooth etc.

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2013, 01:34:46 AM »

okay, thanks mate - i remember that friction mod now. sounds pretty straight-forward.
i'm not sure if i still have that utility, though - do you know if it's available somewhere?
i haven't searched the forum yet, if it's here somewhere, i'm sure to find it. ;)

nevermind, just checked my inbox - thanks ;)
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

btasm

« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2013, 07:40:21 PM »

Wonderful mod. Only problem I've seen thus far is the FAC. When placed on a map, Il-2 freezes as soon as a QC mission starts, then CTD. This only seems to happen when a target is within range of the FAC. If you put the FAC on the map, with no enemy nearby, it doesn't seem to freeze then crash.

RooMan296

« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2013, 12:27:40 PM »

Wonderful mod. Only problem I've seen thus far is the FAC. When placed on a map, Il-2 freezes as soon as a QC mission starts, then CTD. This only seems to happen when a target is within range of the FAC. If you put the FAC on the map, with no enemy nearby, it doesn't seem to freeze then crash.

I have the same issue. Never figured it out. I just stopped using the FAC.

btasm

« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2013, 07:13:43 PM »

That's unfortunate. Seems it would make a nice addtion to Il-2.

PS: Also noticed the AFAC has the same issue.

kondor999

« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2013, 10:08:56 AM »

Please excuse my ignorance. I assure you that I read all 9 pages of the thread but I'm still confused as to how to install. All I'm really trying to do is use the mod for one of the Ju88-G6 nightfighting missions which requires it.  I'm just getting back into IL-2 and Wow a lot has changed.  I'm incredibly impressed with the amazing hard work and dedication of all the modders out there.

I've got a DBW 1.71 install which, of course(?), includes UP3rc4.  But I don't have a #UP# folder.  Instead, I have #DBW and #DBW1916 folders.  Am I supposed to simply extract the files directly into either of those folders? 

I've included a "before" and "after" screen cap of my directory so you can tell me if my setup is correct.  I'll obviously be using DBW for the nightfighting missions that I wanted to try.

Before:

After:

Atoka220

• Bomber
  • Modder
« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2013, 06:33:28 AM »

How to use it?
There are 2 certain things in life: Death and CTDs

RooMan296

« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2013, 07:20:02 AM »

Kondor..sent you a PM.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 25 queries.