Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Memory Use Improvement for 64bit systems  (Read 33326 times)

vegetarian

Memory Use Improvement for 64bit systems
« on: December 11, 2009, 04:29:09 AM »

G'Day, first post.

For guys who have 64bit Operating Systems

You might want to check out this little program at. It modifies an exe file to allow 32 bit apps (eg IL2) to access 4GB of virtual memory on 64bit systems. I used it to modify il2fb.exe in UP1.8. Resolved issues I had with stuttering and game freezing after 30 - 40 mins on some maps. Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, 4GB RAM.

NTCore's 4G Patch Page
or
NTCore's Homapge

Since that website seems to run very sporadically, I have uploaded the patch here also:

Download the Patch Directly

Form the original Website:
I originally wrote this tool for a friend of mine who needed it. This very little tool patches x86 executables in order to let them have 4GB (instead of only 2) of virtual memory on x64 platforms. This tool comes very handy for applications which need a great amount of virtual memory like games, 3D renderization, multimedia etc. To gain these 2GB, you just have to use this tool to patch the executable (*.exe file) of the software you want to have these additional GBs of virtual memory. It can be used by clicking on it and choosing the file or through command line (e.g.: "4gb_patch file.exe"). It automatically creates a backup copy of the original executable.

Why things are this way on x64 is easy to explain. On x86 applications have 2GB of virtual memory out of 4GB (the other 2GB are reserved for the system). On x64 these two other GB can now be accessed by 32bit applications. In order to achieve this, a flag has to be set in the file's internal format. This is, of course, very easy for insiders who do it every day with the CFF Explorer. This tool was written because not everybody is an insider, and most probably a lot of people don't even know that this can be achieved. Even I wouldn't have written this tool if someone didn't explicitly ask me to

This tool was made by Daniel Pistelli

Cheers,
vegetatrian

Post edited by CirX

thefruitbat

• http://dangerdogz.com
    • Dangerdogz
Re: Memory Use Improvement for 64bit systems
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 04:05:05 PM »

Just tried this with my hsfx 4.1 install, and now i can finally run cannons channel map without any texture compression,  8)

vista 64bit, 6 gig of ram, gtx280 i7-940.

Thanks for the heads up,

fruitbat

Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 08:36:54 AM »

Vegetarian, can I or fruitbat have permission to reproduce this post over at the Ubi forums? We can't post a link to SAS because of the mod rules (even though this is not a mod), but this is a very important discovery.

thefruitbat

• Dangerdogz
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 08:57:30 AM »

Urufu's talking about the ubizoo, not aaa.

At ubi you are still not allowed to direct link mod sites, such as aaa, sas ultrapack etc, although you are allowed to talk about this stuff via pm.

I asked him if i could post this at ubi (where Urufu is a mod), since its not a 'mod' as such, and we can as long as i don't link here,

So can I reproduce this post over there and host it myself please,

cheers fruitbat 8)

Oops, posted at same time, lol

SAS~CirX

• R.I.P.
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • No Zips, Only Buttons
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 09:01:57 AM »

Well Fruitbat, post and host away! It is not our software,and we would not hang on to it even if it was. Nice to see you over here at SAS also btw.

thefruitbat

• Dangerdogz

BravoFxTrt

• "BIGFOOT"
  • Modder
  • Flying Ass Clown #13
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 05:48:54 AM »

Since I installed Win7 I have tried all of the exe patches. the 2GB worked well, but when I installed this 4GB patch, wow the difference is awesome.I recommend this for those who do upgrade to Win7 x64. Thank you for this Patch. ;D
MSI R9 280X 6GB x2/Crossfire /ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo/AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer 4core CPU/RAM Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB/ Corsair RM 1000WATT PSU/Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit

Korrigan

• SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 03:24:26 PM »

Very interesting ! I use currently the 6DOF_Tracker_4GBVersion il2fb.exe of the UltraPack on a SAS mod activated game (Win7 x64, 4GB ram) with success. Is this patch better than my current config ? And if so, on which version of the il2fb.exe must it be applied to keep the TrackIr compatibility ?
I'm interested if someone has an idea about that and I will try to make some tests by myself when I have some free time  ;)
Thanks  :)

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 03:54:59 PM »

Does this 4gig patch supersede the older 1gig patch as found here?

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,2475.0.html

Can you use the 4 gig patch to upgrade an already patched 1gig il2.exe or should this be done to the original il2.exe?

I'm always wary of experimenting with these things on my own without some advice from people more in the know ...

BravoFxTrt

• "BIGFOOT"
  • Modder
  • Flying Ass Clown #13
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 05:50:56 AM »

I used this patch on top of the 2GB that comes with UP2.01 and works flawlessly.
MSI R9 280X 6GB x2/Crossfire /ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo/AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer 4core CPU/RAM Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB/ Corsair RM 1000WATT PSU/Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit

Badmuthafunker

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 07:22:04 AM »

Hi all,

Forgive me if I'm being a thick git, but what do we do with it once we've downloaded? :)

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 07:51:23 AM »

Forgive me if I'm being a thick git, but what do we do with it once we've downloaded? :)

When the file is downloaded and unzipped, you click on the .exe file within. It will ask to navigate to a program .exe file that you wish to modify so that it has 4 gig of memory available.

In the case of Sturmovik, navigate to your Sturmo directory and choose your il2fb.exe file. The 4gig mem mod will then change your il2fb.exe into an exe that will be able to access 4gig of memory. In practical terms that means Il-2 will work better and faster with less or no stuttering in game ...

I've tried this mod out and it works just fine.

Even though the mod automatically creates a backup of the original .exe, make your own copy just to be on the safe side.

And as an extra treat, it works for other programs too. If I have read the webpage correctly, it allows old 32 bit programs to access memory as if they were 64bit programs ... that's what i make of it and in any case, I've used it on several older programs of mine, old 32 bit programs that I still use and it works on those as well.

I modded my old graphics program, a 32 bit prog that I know well and do not wish to upgrade, with this mod and now it can apparently access 4gig of memory. In any case it does not crash when using huge graphic files anymore so i suppose the mod does what it promises ...

There is also a 1gig memory mod for il2,
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,2475.0.html
which i would think is similar to this mod.

I can't say which is best, but I would be careful using both on one and the same .exe ... best to choose one of these mods ...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 25 queries.