Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4.11 FW190 FM  (Read 2595 times)

Paulo Hirth

• MOD is Life!
4.11 FW190 FM
« on: January 16, 2012, 11:36:30 AM »

I notice the new 4.11 FM fell like the old times of IL-2 sturmovik, the stoll and spin is more dangerous, was a heavy...

Petr Winter

Re: 4.11 FW190 FM
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:42:51 AM »

I notice the new 4.11 FM fell like the old times of IL-2 sturmovik, the stoll and spin is more dangerous, was a heavy...

It is now FM of the aircraft so close to the reality as it's possible!

Sakai07

Re: 4.11 FW190 FM
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 08:34:26 PM »

I love the new 190 FM personally!!!!  I have always loved the looks and history of the 190, but I could never get it to perform for my flying style in IL2. My bread and butter is a mix of BnZ with a little TnB for when the situation is right. I call this 'Angles Fighting' or 'Energy Fighting' (not my term, picked it up when studying air combat tactics when I started on Air Warrior back in the day when it was free on AOL, then $9.95/month on Gamestorm....but I digress) as this style of fighting is a real hybrid. I try to always start with both alt and speed, and keep at least one of these superior to the enemy during the fight. If he is higher then me, run away, get some alt, and rejoin the fight. Once I engage, I either use the speed from my first attack to climb back up for another shot, or turn with him if I know I can make the kill, or do a low or high yo-yo if my first attack ended up out of position to shoot (last is rare, but it's in my 'bag of tricks). 

I couldn't get the 190 to turn 180 degrees if I promised it valhalla and virgins for completing the task. Even with easy pressure, she would buffet into an accelerated stall and it was just frustrating, not fun, to try and fight in this aircraft. My first IL2 kill was in the 190, I really wanted to fly and love this aircraft. After a little while of plane hopping, I finally settled on the 109G-6 as the first aircraft I would learn inside and out in IL2, and that's just what I did. Joined 5/JG-27 and everything while I learned the finer points. The 109 is well suited to my flying style, the G-6 in particular since it still has some of the great handling manners of the F series and can mount a 30mm in the engine bank, two 13mm up top, and the option of a couple 20mm gun pods under the wings for 'heavy work' at a cost in fighter vs. fighter capability. That 30mm is a beast, but the overall weapons load for fighter combat is a bit on the weak side when you are mostly taking snap shots.

Enter 4.11 and the new Fw-190 FM. First run I made was a QB in the new 190A-4 1.42ata. The guide said it was more stable and more maneuverable in the horizontal, and I didn't buy it. I attacked a Yak9, and when he broke to avoid me, I followed him with a good head of steam on the airspeed indicator. I was surprised, in the best kind of way. Granted, I started to black out, but my 'wurger' stayed right with him. A short all guns burst later and that yak was a flaming wreck. I have since flown all the 190 models to see if the changes were across the board, and indeed they are. Granted, the late 'antons' aren't as nimble as the A4 and A5, but a vast improvement over the old ones. The D-9 is a real threat down low to the soviet all stars, fast and now really able to stay with them for at least the first circle and a half with decent speed going in. As a gun platform, they are much improved. In fact, I am having a lot of trouble with the conversion to the 190 from the 109 as my main fighter, since the 109 isn't the best gun platform and years of compensating for this has me missing to all sides of the enemy aircraft!!! It's something I can get used to however, and I am going to love it!!!

The 190's current FM also reflects what her pilots said about her during the war. Granted, I haven't read an account yet that said she could turn and burn with a Yak-3 all day long, but they did say that within her flight envelope, she was a very maneuverable aircraft in the roll and, to a certain extent, in the horizontal. In the vertical, not so much, and many 109 pilots converting to the type had issues with this. On the other hand, some 109 pilots who previous had very little success in air combat came into their own after converting to the 190. 

Lt. Gunther of III/JG-51 had not had much in the way of kills while the unit flew 109s, then in fall of 1942 their unit converted to the Fw-190 he shot down SIX Pe-2's on his first sortie in the new bird, and by 11 February ran his score up to 30. Unfortunately, a shortage of 190's forced the Gruppe to convert back to 109s. (Squadron/Signal Productions "Focke Wulf Fw190 in Action")
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 26 queries.