Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IL2 Setup and Steam  (Read 3397 times)

kpn.kardif

IL2 Setup and Steam
« on: January 10, 2012, 02:11:45 PM »

I was wondering, does anybody else who has the Steam version of the game have trouble running il2set.exe? 

Here's my quandry:  I'm trying to find that sweet spot between looks and performance, so I've been doing a lot of tweaking of settings lately, primarily in conf.ini.  I have my copy of the game through Steam, and I am using DBW 1.6, started by IL-2 Selector 3.06 v1.5.2.  When I go to into the game directory and try to run il2set.exe, it just launches the IL-2 selector.  If I already have the selector running, it tells me that "steam was unable to launch the application".  This has been an issue for a long time, come to think of it.  Back when I was running UP2.01, when I would try and run il2set.exe it would just launch the game...

Any ideas?  Do I even need to run il2set?  My game looks/runs pretty good, though in comparing it to some vids on youtube, my colors don't seem to be as vibrant.  The only place where I get fps issues is over cities or when there are A LOT of things happening at once. 

amd phenomx4 3.6ghz
radeon 4890
4gb ram
winxp32

Thanks for any help.

LuseKofte

Re: IL2 Setup and Steam
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 04:49:07 PM »

The new EXE selector will come up yes, this allowes to choose ramsettings and a lot of other things. You push start game now and it will run

kpn.kardif

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 11:59:45 PM »

I've got the selector going fine, and I can run the game fine.  It's the IL-2 setup utility (the one where you pick video options and such) that I can't run.  I've seen it mentioned quite often when looking through the forums here, but for some reason I can't get it to work.  I have three .exe files in my il2 directory, il2fb.exe, il2set.exe, and testapp.exe.  I'm assuming that il2set.exe is the one for the setup utility?

Another question, do I even need the setup utility?  Can all of the options in the setup utility be found in other places, like conf.ini?  I think I have my conf.ini settings where I want them, but what I want to know is are there other settings which can be adjusted thru the il2 setup utility that aren't in conf.ini? 

LuseKofte

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 12:15:13 AM »

When you have modded your game there are little use in that setup tool. You need to go in conf.ini to change screenresolution intro or not

Backup your conf.ini before change anything

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,9756.0.html

kpn.kardif

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 01:52:05 AM »

Thanks, LeOne.  I wasn't sure if the setup program did anything differently than manually editing conf.ini. 

Sounds like the setup tool isn't really necessary, so I'll just stick with what I've been doing. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 25 queries.