Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to IL2, PC upgrade  (Read 1432 times)

brettt777

New to IL2, PC upgrade
« on: January 09, 2012, 09:55:28 AM »

I have only just started trying to play IL2 in the last few days and so far I like it. The plethora of mods is amazing. I am anxious to get the IL2 1956 mod working and get into some Korean war era combat. My Step Father was USMC stationed in Korea, plus I have just always had a fascination with those early jets. Anyway, I am having issues running IL2; frequent GSoD, blank screen and lock up, things like that. I am not really blaming IL2 as it occasionally happens in other games. So I probably have some kind of graphics issue in my system which is an Asus G73 driving a Samsung HD 23" monitor, i7 QM 720 @ 1.6ghz, 8gb DDR3, Radeon HD 5870 with 1gb DDR5, Win 7 Premium Home, TrackIR 5 and Logitech G940. I have an old Dell XPS 710 with XP that I want to upgrade. Due to the age and design of the system, I am limited on upgrades but there are some things I can do. I want to replace the Duo Core CPU with a Core 2 Extreme QX6700, increase the RAM from 1gb to at least 4gb, possibly 8gb if possible, and replace the broken nVidia 8600 GTS with a much more powerful 8800 GTX. I don't have the $$$ for a major upgrade but I can do these upgrades for about $300. I am thinking this should be enough of a system to run sims like IL2...? Any suggestions, comments, snide remarks?

LuseKofte

Re: New to IL2, PC upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 10:02:36 AM »

As I see it , it should do just fine, Nvidiacards are best in IL2 . That is the good thing about this game. Do not need  a big rig for it , before you hit the memory wall in game.  :) How much ram you put in it depends on your using 64 bit system or not

brettt777

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 10:06:44 AM »

Well, right now that PC has XP 32 bit for an OS. I really like Win 7 but would like to stay with XP on this machine because of some older titles that seem to have issues in Win 7, but I would like to upgrade to 64 bit XP. Stupid question; to upgrade from 32 XP to 64 bit XP, is that just an OS upgrade or are there hardware changes necessary for that also?

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 10:14:02 AM »

64bit XP is a particular OS.
Many device (gaming device) makers don't release device drivers for 64bit XP.
And some games/applications don't run on 64bit XP, even if they run well on Win7 64bit.
When you want to get 64bit OS, Win7 64bit is the best at device drivers.

So, when you want to stop at XP, 32bit is necessary.
That shows main memory limit 4GB.
No need to over 4GB.

And with upgrading graphics card, you remember Power Supply Unit may be changed to more powerful.
8800GTX or GTS250(=9800GTX+) needs more 50W or 100W than 8600GTS.
Old PSU will not be enough.

I think... CPU is enough at Core Duo.
IL-2 1946 doesn't use multi-core CPU. Using only 1 core.
When you change to Core 2 Extreme, nothing will change.

brettt777

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 10:42:11 AM »

Okay so stay with XP 32 bit unless I want to just go right to Win 7 64 bit. Are there any compatibility issues with IL2 in Win 7 64?
My PSU should be fine at 750 watts. I have a PSU calculator that tells me I would need about 620 watts for the system I would upgrade to.
I would want to go with the QX6700 on the CPU because other sims I play like FSX are CPU hogs and the old duo core struggles to keep up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.