Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Maraz Exporter  (Read 12998 times)

mac1

• Modder
Maraz Exporter
« on: October 14, 2011, 07:33:30 AM »

Step 1: Install 3ds max 9 (not 2009!!!) and maraz exporter
Pick a part you want to import into il2
Im picking my Fa223 helicopter rudder of this model as an example

Step 2: Align the model as usual and as shown, flying into the x axis, perpindicular to the y axis.

Now align the pivot points as shown:

The y-axis is the axis around which the object rotates. The 0,0,0 coordinated of the pivot point is where the actual rotation takes place from making this a very flexible tool.

Step 3: Set up export parameters using a config file. The config file is palced in C:\Users\Username\Documents\3dsMax\export
and has the same name as the part to be exported so in this case, Rudder1_D0.cfg, and contains this basic information:

scale_factor   1
n_lods      0
lod_dist   500
lod_type   s
lod_prefix   _00 
n_coll      0
n_hooks      0
shadow_char   Y

A number of config files and examples are supplied with the exporter for  more complicated parts with lods, collisions hooks etc. Not I havent any hooks on this prop yet.

Step 4: Export. Have the part selected then click file, export selected and choose from the drop down save as type : il2 export v 0.6
This menu pops up

, ensure that if its an animated part you have animated mesh selected! Click ok, a mesh and hier.him entry are now created in your
C:\Users\Username\Documents\3dsMax\export folder
The hier him data reads as this:

[rudder1_d0]
Mesh rudder1_d0
Parent Scene Root
Attaching 0 1 0 0.014573 0 -0.999894 -0.999894 0 -0.014573 -11.090000 0.000000 3.000000
Exact coordiantes and exact angles calculated. The parent needs to be changed to CF_D0

Also check the mesh that is produced, sometimes the material needs to be changed. In my case
 [Materials]
Matt1D0o.003
Must be changed to an appropriated material

Step 5 Place them in game:
:D

Here's an example of what you would do for a rotor

Now there is a lot more to this tool than just what Ive shown here. Depending on the configuration file a lot can be achieved.
Also the hierarchy of objects and linking collisions shadows and LODS etc is a whole other kettle of fish. Asheshouse is the expert

C6_Claymore

• Modder
Re: Maraz Exporter
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 09:30:12 AM »

One question; is it possible to import in Max9 a model modelized under 3DsMax 2010 ? (for example)
Cooler Master Cosmos 2 SE, Intel core i7 950 3.1, Asus Z87-A, Nvidia Geforce GTX 580, 8 Go DDR3, Corsair 750W, Samsung Syncmaster 2232BW 22" & 2032BW 20", W7, Sa

mac1

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 09:34:41 AM »

Yeah there's a number of ways to do it, but as to loss of smoothing groups etc Im not so sure. One option is to export the entire model as a 3ds format an reimport. You could also use .obj as well with different results. Another option is a 3ds import plugin by a guy called chris cookson, just google chris cookson 3ds import and use that, it has different results than using 3dsmax own 3ds import function. All vary but really good results can be obtained

mac1

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 09:35:39 AM »

seriously once you get the hang of this tool, its setup takes the longest but once you have it I dont think youll  want to go back!

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 09:48:21 AM »

Maraz Expoter, this is very useful for ship MODs.

Step 3: Set up export parameters using a config file. The config file is palced in C:\Users\Username\Documents\3dsMax\export
and has the same name as the part to be exported so in this case, Rudder1_D0.cfg, and contains this basic information:

This "*.cfg" placing is a first hurdle to use/understand Maraz Expoter.
I had troubled 1 day or 2 days about it.
I feel, Maraz's documentation is misleading.

"Where we have to place *.cfg", this is at last very simple, only 1 rule:
 - The same place(folder) we want to create new .msh file
anywhere we can. any drive, any folder.

C:\Users\Username\Documents\3dsMax\export
Here is a default exporting folder, we set this "where" at the menu of 3ds Max - Custermize - Configure User Paths - Export.
I change this folder "D:\MODS_modeling".
Then, I select the menu of 3ds Max - File - Export, opening folder dialog "Select File to Export" at D:\MODS_modeling.
But I don't have to write exporting .msh at D:\MODS_modeling.
I can select sub-folder or parent-folder or another drive... in this dialog.
So when I want to export at D:\MODS_modeling\KongoHaruna\Kongo\Maraz, I double click KongoHaruna folder - Kongo folder - Maraz folder , and input .msh filename "Hull1" and enter.
Hull1.msh is made at D:\MODS_modeling\KongoHaruna\Kongo\Maraz.
At this time, "Hull1.cfg" have to be set at D:\MODS_modeling\KongoHaruna\Kongo\Maraz.

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 09:52:06 AM »

seriously once you get the hang of this tool, its setup takes the longest but once you have it I dont think youll  want to go back!

Absolutely correct. My first attempts were with Buggybuggy, which I used for Warspite. When I was working on Fiji I switched to the Maraz tool and have never used Buggybuggy since. The setup seems complicated but once you have done it a few times it does not take long. Quicker to create object links in a text file than it is in Max.

If there is a problem with later versions of Max then you should contact Maraz to see if he will update the exporter. I last saw him posting at 242 Squadron. Or he can probably be contacted via CharlieChap here.

Following on from Westerns post I keep all my export meshes in a subfolder in the model folder.
Example:  scenes\HMSEagle\Exports\

In here are both the *.cfg files and also the *.msh files are saved here automatically.
When I archive a project I can just zip up the HMSEagle folder and everything is saved.

The only problems I tend to get are related to objects that have been re-scaled.
If you do this it is necessary to reset the scale and transform of the pivot point, in the pivot dropdown

just champi

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 10:26:08 AM »

Someone of you can tell if shared/combined smoothing groups are correctly exported with Maraz exporter?
or only individual/separated? First option will be a blast...
Haven't tryed fully yet, but I remember saving the UVW mapping of a model in max 2009, before exporting the file to 3ds, choosing "discard mapping" (wich preserves smoothing) and then import again from 3dsMax9 (to be able to work with Maraz exporter) and paste the saved UVW mapping, and all seemed well so far then.

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 01:07:13 AM »

All smoothing groups created in Max are preserved using Maraz Exporter  :) :)

Ashe

Docholiday

• SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 02:34:01 AM »

Hallo @ all.

That Tools seems to be very useful !

Do You know if there is a version too which works with the newer 3ds-Versions ??

Thx

Doc

C6_Claymore

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 02:40:00 AM »

Unfortunatly no  :( I asked to Charlie Chap on 242 forum and no... He suggest me to contact Maraz to ask him if he could upgrade his export plugin for the newer version of 3DsMax.

Charlie also talk me about the same plugin for cockpits  ;)
Cooler Master Cosmos 2 SE, Intel core i7 950 3.1, Asus Z87-A, Nvidia Geforce GTX 580, 8 Go DDR3, Corsair 750W, Samsung Syncmaster 2232BW 22" & 2032BW 20", W7, Sa

Docholiday

• SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 03:03:02 AM »

:(
Unfortunatly no  :( I asked to Charlie Chap on 242 forum and no... He suggest me to contact Maraz to ask him if he could upgrade his export plugin for the newer version of 3DsMax.

Charlie also talk me about the same plugin for cockpits  ;)

:(  :'(

Cheers

Doc

just champi

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 06:31:54 AM »

All smoothing groups created in Max are preserved using Maraz Exporter

Thanks Ashe, Very glad to know!!   :)  all my projects are done with 2009 version, so I wanted to be sure it worked before going all the hassle to import them all back to 3dsmax9, and then use Maraz tool. But knowing that smoothing works, I think it worths, (even if only for this) to take the time to do so. great!   ;D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 29 queries.