Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Dixiecapt South Vietnam 1968 map release.  (Read 61117 times)

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
Re: Dixiecapt South Vietnam 1968 map release.
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 07:46:34 PM »

This map really rules. :D

farang65

• never two weeks two decades
  • SAS Team
  • Fortress Formosa
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2011, 11:54:10 PM »

Again with the trees.   :D ;)

The 6th pixture down from Tom2's picture posting I see a few interesting trees beside the river.

The definitely look like trees and not radar    ;D   had to be sure.

Any particular mod tree for them as they are interesting;  File name etc.

Cheers and thanks again for an awesome map   :D ;)

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 11:52:05 AM »

Hello Kirby, Uufflakke decided that pine trees would look kind of weird in Vietnam so he stripped them of the leaves to make them appear as dead ones.  No special objects just altered tree files in the jungle effect he created for this map. ;)

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

The_Alaska_Man

• TAM
  • Modder
  • Map modder
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2011, 12:05:16 AM »

i get an error when i load the map

it says

section [MAP2D] not found in PS_South_Vietnam_1968 load ini

and then i go to the load ini and theres is [MAP2D] like this

[MAP2D]
;map_ed.tga
;ed_m03.tga
ed_m02.tga
ed_m01.tga

any tips? this map looks really cool
Just call me TAM.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2011, 04:38:46 AM »

Hello all, reading through the posts I see some have problems with objects in their 409 version of the game.

I've checked through the static and these are where the objects can be found:

Northsea Houses
Northsea Roadplate
Northsea Airfield Plates
Concrete Plate_KDP
Darwin Objects
Airfield Munitions
Bridges_Object
Tow House II
Castles by Uufflakke
Path_KDP

I hope that is the complete list. :-\

I had the same problem and tried various ways to remedy it.  First I tried to add the sfs files that can be downloaded here at SAS, the objects showed in the dropdown but not on the map even though I'd disabled all the object packs in my mod folder.  In moving files about I fucked up my install and and had to delete it and copy another one from my external hard drive. ::) :-[

Edit:  I've now managed to install the sfs files successfuly by following the instructions for adding the big skin mod files. 8)  I'd missed adding the text for the four files to the RC file in the Files folder.

The second try was more successful, I extracted all the four object packs from DBW and put them in a folder titled Extracted objects and popped that in my MODS folder with the static from DBW going into the STD folder.  Loaded up the sim again but the map was still missing its objects.  I'd re-activated the previous object packs so as they were higher in the pecking order my new folder wasn't showing. :-[

Once they were turned off again all was well, the old familiar ways of adding things is much more to my liking and ability I guess. :D

Because of the way objects are grouped in DBW I found it hard to actually figure out which bits had the necessary objects I wanted so I just used the whole lot in the one folder.

Up to now I haven't experienced any problems, but I haven't checked my other maps yet, but with DBW being up to date I can't imagine there will be anything missing, unless you've installed a new map with new objects that is.

Map now works in my UP 2 setup. :)

Hope this helps.

The Map 2D not showing thing is I think usually down to an incorrect entry in the all file, but I may be wrong there.  Try a new install of the map ensuring all the bits go where they should and check the all entry is correct.

Mission_bug

• Modder
Alterations to my own copy of Dixiecapt's Vietnam 68 map.
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2012, 03:42:44 PM »

I've recently got around to making some changes to Dixecapt's superb detailing of my South Vietnam 1968 map for my personal use and thought I'd share the reasons for it, and the alterations with the community.

Link to altered map updated 10th March 2012 is now on the first page as people were having problems with 4Shared.

Note:Original 4Shared ink removed on 15/22013 by myself.

Please be aware the active load file for this version of the map is set for the Uufflakke jungle effect.
Within the map folder is the original load just remove the "-" after removing the active file.

If you have an existing copy of the map in your mapmods folder please make a copy and put it somewhere safe as
this altered version will replace it. ;)

I tried making a number of small missions for the map to test out the jets and stuff and found the map had some rather peculiar behaviour where AI taxi and parking where concerned.  At Bien Hoa I found that landing aircraft veered away from the runway soon after landing and crashed into nearby buildings!  At other bases AI aircraft would land and dissapear!

The Bien Hoa problem was caused by the adjoining helicopter landing strip, essentially aircraft were landing on the main runway but then trying to make their way by the shortest route, usually through anything in the way,to parking areas meant for helicopters.  It may be that Dixiecapt intended the map mainly for helicopter traffic, but for me I primarily fly fixed wing so alterations were made.

The helicopter landing strip waypoints and parking stays were removed and with a few tweaks to the other existing taxi and parking areas all was to my liking at Bien Hoa. ;)

Note C-47 sized aircraft cannot use this approach and taxi way due to the proximity of buildings which block
the path for them to park, however, they can use the other apprach. :)

Chu Lai was the airfield with the dissapearing aircraft and this was sorted out by removing the revetments.

I also made the parallel runway active.

I've been steadily modifying bits and pieces here and there to taxi waypoints and parking areas at other airfields as well. I'm currently testing my changes so will post those changes here as I test them.

If anyone else out there has found any similar problems post them here and I'll try and take a look at them as well, no guarantee I can produce a solution but I'll have a look. ;)

I only fly offline so I'm adapting the map speciffically for that, others who fly online will probably not be aware of any problems.
The intention will be to make the changes I make available for anyone else who would like them, either as another seperate map or just to add to your existing one.

gianluca

Re: Alterations to my own copy of Dixiecapt's Vietnam 68 map.
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2012, 11:22:33 AM »

I was aware of these probs but did not dare ask... Thks Pete, I'll wait for the release!
Best regards,
Gianluca

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2012, 02:18:32 PM »

Hello gianlucabagatti, never be afraid to ask, at the worst we can only say no. ;)

One of the other areas that I've altered is the approach to the Khe Sanh combat base.

The original approach from inland if viewed from an approaching aircraft was quite weird, the aircraft seemed to skim the trees in a rather strange flare approach.  The aircraft usually managed to land, but visually it left a lot to be desired.

I've now adjusted the surrounding hills to give a what I think is a more natural approach.

The taxi after landing has been left alone, when viewed from a landing aircraft it looks quite scarry
as the previous aircraft is coming towards you as you approach.  However it manages to get to the
parking spot before you collide.  Adds to the immersion me thinks as this was regarded as quite a
dangerous airfield. ;)

At Nakhan Phanom the landing aircraft would go right to the end of the runway before coming back on
themselves before taxying to the parking spot. 

This has now been altered thus:

Looks a little better I think, a natural movement from runway to taxi.

Parking spots have also had some adjusting.

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2012, 09:03:49 AM »

Thanks a lot, Pete. Please upload your workaround if you like  ;D, I intend to make a map selection for Histo this weekend and this map is on the list for jet war maps at the top, so to say. :D

Best Regards

Thorsten

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2012, 11:59:50 AM »

Glad to hear the map is top of the list Thorsten, Dixecapt will be pleased. 8)

As for uploading that won't happen just yet, I've still to get in touch with Dixecapt to get his thoughts on the project.

He originally detailed the map as preperation for a series of campaigns he was planning so I don't want to do anything
to the map that may hamper any work he may already have done.  There is the option to give my alterations a new title
but that adds another map to your inststall when really it would be better just to drop my modified files into the existing
folder.

Parking at Nakhan Phanom.

At Pleiku the revetments were interfering with the taxying aircraft so I adjusted the taxi and parking slightly to save removing
any detail.

These shots show the parking behaviour from each approach.

The Loation airstrip has also had a little treatment.  The existing approach has had the hills around it altered slightly, although
I was limited in what I could do there.  Like Khe Sanh the aircraft floated over the trees on the approach, still do unfortunately,
but I also added a second approach at the other end so you can use that instead.

The amount of spaces available at each airfield really depends on the size of aircraft used, the spaces are more intended for Skyraider size aircraft, so if something larger is used aircraft will use other slots thus reducing what I may have added.

Still testing. ;)

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2012, 05:05:27 PM »

Thank you for the reply and the gorgeous work on these maps. And take all the time you need..I will now try to get the version of this map with the (I hope) optimal use of Uufflakke's trees and the jungle and inserting something for the future for this compilation is surely easy to archieve. ;D

Cheers,

Thorsten

Hawkman

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2012, 08:52:33 AM »

I have yet to try this map out - but judging from the screenshots (and speaking as a Vietnam resident) - this captures the look of Vietnam remarkably well.

Most impressive work, Gents & Many Thanks.  :)

Hawkers :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 27 queries.