Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: GEE + Navaid mod (v1.2)  (Read 15454 times)

sputnikshock

• Modder
  • exclusively IFR
GEE + Navaid mod (v1.2)
« on: October 11, 2011, 02:02:54 AM »

GEE + Navaid mod v1.2

UPDATED! Can now also report in nautical miles (see end of this post).

NAVAID:

Navaid is a virtual navigator/navigation help intended for use with planes that did carry sophisticated navigation
instruments like D/F loop antennas and radio compasses, but do not have these in game.

When the player selects a radio beacon, Navaid mod emulates a navigator, who will report to the pilot bearing and
distance to the selected beacon. He will keep updating his report frequently until the player selects a different
beacon, which the navigator will then report on, or selects 'beacon: none' which will deactivate the reports. In
order for the navigator to properly receive radio signals and do his calculations (imagine him actually tuning into
two beacons and then triangulate your position) you need to be no further than 120km from a beacon, and no closer than
2.5km. Also, your altitude must be at least 150m above that of the radio beacon.

Navaid mod adds three objects to game. These need to be placed in mission builder to take effect. Also, the units will
only work when assigned to the same side as the player (Blue, Red, etc).

Navaid(km) outputs metric units, while Navaid(miles) outputs statute miles. Navaid(bearing) omits the distance
to/from a beacon and shows bearing only.

It works with any type of radio beacon, NDB, YG, YE(carrier), and blind landing beacons. Remember that a beacon needs to be assigned to the same side as the player in order to be receivable.

GEE:
The GEE object represents the allied GEE hyperbolic navigation system.
For GEE to work, there needs to be at least one radio beacon on the map, and it needs to be assigned to the same side as the player.
The reason for this is that a GEE navigation fix will only be reported if you have a radio beacon (no matter which) selected. This method is used to simulate the pilot asking for a fix, instead of the navigator reporting continuesly. As the GEE object provides coordinates every 30 seconds or so, it is important to be able to turn it off when other objects produce a lot of HUD messages and you have no need for nav fixes.
GEE reports in map coordinates, as indicated by the km scale on the minimap. The message "GEE: 245/151" thus tells you that you are 245 km to the east and 151 km to the north of the lower left corner of the map. GEE reports are completely independent of the location of a selected beacon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DOWNLOAD:
https://www.mediafire.com/?bqp3hy987ohs82z

version 1.2, by sputnikshock.
Special thanks to CY6 for help and letting me use a lot of code from his brilliant Command&Control mod.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BACKGROUND INFO:
I always found it annoying that most aircraft do not make full use of the realistic nav features. Actually a lot of WW2 aircraft (except maybe single seat fighters) were actually equipped with quite sophisticated (for the time) navigation instruments, like rotating loop antennas. Actually, what bothered me is that most allied aircraft (with the B-25 being an exception) don't have radio compasses or any navigation instruments at all, leaving you with listening to morsecode from YG beacons. Certainly not appropriate for, say, a Mossquito. On the axis side, Me 110 and Ju 88 are exceptions as they have fully working radio compasses that actually allow you to obtain a bearing to a beacon, and AFN gauges showing distance. However, changing the cockpits of those planes that don't have such instruments but should have, would be a pain in the neck. Therefore I developed Navaid as a quick and flexible workaround.

NAUTICAL MILES FIX

Download and replace existing file:
https://www.mediafire.com/?34fiv8ieval5glh

How it works:
Place Navaid(km) object on the map and assign it to your side.
In the [Mods] section of your .mis file you can configure Navaid to show different range units.
If you don't have a [Mods] section in your .mis file, just create one at the end of the file.

Rangeunit 0 will show no range, just bearing
Rangeunit 1 will show km
Rangeunit 2 will show miles
Rangeunit 3 will show nm

Example:
Code: [Select]
[Mods]
Rangeunit 3

If you don't put anything in the .mis file, Navaid will show km.

Also with this 4in1 object you can remove the other two Navaid objects from your stationary.ini if you like.

slipper

• Modder
Re: Navaid mod (v1.0)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 04:06:47 AM »

Brilliant idea Sputnikshock, glad to see you building on the excellent work done by CY6, will give it a go on the weekend.

Cheers

slipper

Baco

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 05:45:48 AM »

Brilliant, specially for modded aircraft that use other planes cockpits or in witch for some reason the instruments don´t work properly.

Thanks!

sputnikshock

• Modder
  • exclusively IFR
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 06:09:41 AM »

Isn't it annoying that it says "Navigator: xy°" when flying in a single seat plane?  :-\
Should I change it to "Fix: xy°", or "Navigation: xy°", or just "Beacon: xy°"???

EDIT: Changed it to "Beacon: xy°, xykm" in v1.2

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
Re: GEE + Navaid mod (v1.2)
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 11:42:01 PM »

nice mod, thanks sputnikshock! :D
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

OberstDanjeje

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 11:44:41 PM »

Oh yes, and I missed this one, thanks

Plowshare

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 07:36:04 PM »

sputnikshock:

Just dl'd and installed this and it works great. Now I'll start using the beacons and try not using the minimap path so much.

Great work.

Bob

Kopfdorfer

• Potez 63.11 France's most significant AC in 1940
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 07:51:40 PM »

Great work Sputnik!

Kopfdorfer

Plowshare

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 06:29:47 PM »

sputnikshock:

A bit of a nitpicker of a question here: Could you, or would you please make an object of the Navaid in nautical miles? As a naval/marine aviator I use this the most. All my measurement tools for maps in the game are nm and km. Just too lazy to bother trying to do the conversion math! Nautical mile: 1.1508 statute miles; 1.852 kilometers.

Thanks for mod by the way. I'm honing my navigation skills with it.

Bob

sputnikshock

• Modder
  • exclusively IFR
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 06:44:59 PM »

Making one with nautical miles is totally possible.

As this mod might be included in a new version of a different mod, which will be released in an unspecified time in the future, I will consider adding a nm version if there is enough demand for it. So speak up navy flyers!  ;)

Plowshare

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 05:34:27 PM »

I'm speaking up!!!

I'M YELLING!!!

Sorry.

Bob

Dauntless1

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 06:44:13 AM »

THIS IS YELLING!  ;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 25 queries.