Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: USN battleships  (Read 27582 times)

Gofo

Re: USN battleships
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 08:43:32 AM »

hi all, good day.
I could not resist. A very preliminary view of the Colorado BBs as they appear in the game:

As I already said, had it not been for Ashe...He exported the LOD0 into IL-2 saving me from days and days of headache and frustration. Thanks a lot Ashe  ;).

Gianni

P.S. Kapitansky, be patient, sooner or later... ::)

Gofo

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 01:51:38 AM »

good day all,
this is a much better shot.

It has been taken by Ashe, the boat looks fine, or not? ::)

my regards mates

Gianni

Whiskey_Sierra_972

• Modder
  • In memory of my beloved hero: Saburo SAKAI!
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 02:55:52 AM »

Yes mate this lady look really sexy!!!

HundertzehnGustav

• Banned on Sep 11/2012
  • Arrogant Narcisistic Pussy
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2011, 06:53:47 AM »

The deck needs some serious wethering, but she turned out pretty!
also happy that the alphachannel for the "towers" turned out fine.
worthy representation of US Naval Firepower!! *thumbs up*

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2011, 07:01:20 AM »

The plan is for the Colorado to take over the USSBBGeneric slot from KGV, but it will be given its correct name in the menu lists.

Pursuivant

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2011, 09:09:12 AM »

In the times before the USA entered WW2 the Navy ships were painted in grey. The blue paint job was applied only in 1942, well after the facts of Pearl Harbor...

That's why it looked strange to me!

But, technically, Gofo's camouflage is correct. It appears that the USS Colorado didn't get refits to cut down the "birdcage" masts until 1943, so the model and camo job is correct for 1942, when the Colorado was involved in combat around Guadacanal.

I hope that as later projects, we will get this ship in 1941 solid gray camouflage and in her post-refit configuration with cut down masts.

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 09:16:16 AM »

It seems according to some sources that at least some of the ships were painted blue at Pearl Harbour and also they had colour panels applied to some of the turret tops to assist identification from the air.

It appears that they were being repainted in November 41, but may not all have been completed by the date of the attack.

http://archives.starbulletin.com/2006/12/07/news/story04.html

Quite a lot of summarised research here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1699533&mpage=1&key=&#1699533  --- but not original sources.

Gofo

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2011, 10:02:13 AM »

good day all,

mates, you’re partially right, the largest part of the US warships at the beginning of hostilities was painted in gray.
In particular, all US battleships (all but two of the New Mexico class) wore a MS 1 camouflage, a dark gray 5-D covering all vertical surface until the top of the stacks, beyond this line surface were painted Light Gray 5-L. And the horizontal surface, except wood decks, were painted Dark Gray 5-D. This is confirmed by the Ship-2 recommendation document, in the first release and its 1st revision (September 1941). Those interested in the matter can take a look to http://www.shipcamouflage.com (it's a mine of information!)
Many years ago, in mid ‘90s if my memory is still good, I discovered  the existence of a PH blue in the inventory of USN colours. Unfortunately, I don’t remember where I found it and the source of the palette, but believe me that was a total novelty to me, never known of such a tint in the US Navy.
A little mystery, which vessel used it?  I quickly forgot my curiosity until I fell into a very interesting site http://www.navsource.org  and I saw the reproduction of a oil-on canvas painting representing some battleships during the Pearl Harbour attack. See by yourselves:

I’m convinced that all (or almost all) the battleships moored at Pearl Harbour  wore a modified MS1 measure having the 5-D and 5-L gray  replaced by the so called PH-blue and white (or a very pale gray?) respectively. Why I am so convinced? Simple: most probably the artist had not been a witness of the attack, but the painting was commanded  by an USN VIP and made under the supervision of experts.
About the identification marks over the turrets top, I heard something many years ago, at that time it was generally reported as a red square for all Pacific major surface ships.
As I said, my aim was to represent the Big Five as they appeared at the PH time, so I did. Shortly afterwards, all the still serviceable ships ot Colorado and Tennesse –class were painted in MS 21 (vertical surfaces Sea Blue 5-N with no paler top, horizontal surfaces Deck Blue 20-B). This scheme will be adopted for my next labour, the Big Five showing a stump rear cage-mast. The 3D model is 90% ready

my regards

Gianni

rollnloop

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 06:10:11 PM »

Deck looks too yellow on my screen, still this BB looks sexy, hope to bomb it soon  :)

Ribs

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2011, 10:15:24 PM »

Great job - love to see the South Dakota , North Carolina and Iowa classes represented someday!

Ribs
I've spent most of my money on Whiskey and Women. The rest I just wasted.

Pursuivant

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2011, 04:56:53 PM »

I’m convinced that all (or almost all) the battleships moored at Pearl Harbour  worn a modified MS1 measure having the 5-D and 5-L gray  replaced by the so called PH-blue and white (or a very pale gray?) respectively. Why I am so convinced? Simple: most probably the artist had not been a witness of the attack, but the painting was commanded  by an USN VIP and made under the supervision of experts.

Very interesting stuff and some very interesting links. You've convinced me!

But, if the links Asheshouse have provided are correct, you'll need to paint the tops of the front turrets black and the top of the #3 turret white.

I also have to agree with rollnloop, the deck color looks a bit too bright and uniform. The deck color in the painting looks better.

EMS2/7_Puma

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2011, 10:27:17 AM »

work in progress.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 26 queries.