Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Damage to ships using guns  (Read 21324 times)

elephant

• Modder
Re: Damage to ships using guns
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2011, 04:18:44 AM »

Yes, please...

Dakpilot

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2012, 09:32:39 AM »

Any further thoughts on this topic? just a quick bump as well, because it seems to be of interest at the moment

ben_wh

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2012, 04:40:34 PM »

Another bump.

Perhaps if it is too much work to research and edit damage models for all the ships, the author(s) can organize and have us in the forum help out.  The author(s) can focus on getting to the right damage figures and the tedious work of editing can be parceled out.

Cheers,

stellarmagic

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2013, 02:16:40 PM »

I did some personal testing and tweaking on the ship damage model before deciding to switch to 4.11.1m version (I'm anxiously awaiting 4.12m and plan to switch to that once SAS gets an activator out for it... multi-turret functionality for tanks is something I've been hoping to see for a long time, and with it I'm sure we'll see the modders here go to town with adding bow MG to tanks and so forth).  Anyway...

I experimented with tweaking the entire system for ship damage.  In short, I wasn't really happy with most of the mods around... I felt that to be realistic, the ship's damage should be modeled so that MG fire would be effective against the unarmored superstructure of ships, and unarmored guns, but not the hull.

I remembered what one veteran said in an interview... "If you want to put a hole in a ship, use a bomb.  If you want to sink it, use a torpedo."

So I went in and tweaked the strengths of the ships overall so that only the largest of bombs could sink a ship, but machine gun fire and small bombs could do lots of damage to the rest of the ship.  How?

To do this I created a separate class of strength types, and tweaked the stats for each of them.

Strength_Hull - For 'Vital' Parts which represent the actual ship's hull.

Strength_Structure - For structural parts like smokestacks, radars, and structural components.

Strength_Gun - For the various turrets mounted on the ships.

I'm thinking of going back and redoing this and posting the ship.ini information if you'd like.  Though I often find that deciding what would be realistic for some things is something that could be up for debate... for example there are multiple accounts of machine gun fire from aircraft knocking out tanks by hitting the engine deck or even bouncing up through the floor.  How do you account for pure flukes of luck when you assign penetration values?  I mean, a 37mm gun might not penetrate the front of a tiger normally, but what if it goes through the driver's port?

Lots of things to consider.

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2013, 01:02:38 AM »

Any further thoughts on this topic? just a quick bump as well, because it seems to be of interest at the moment

I don't have the slightest idea how this works and all ... but my thoughts are that it would great to see this developed further. Even just ships developing fires on deck from mg strafing would be nice and add to gameplay ...

So you get my bump too ...

Semor

• IL2 without Mods is possible,but senseless!
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2013, 06:38:55 AM »

Me too. +100 for the idea!

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2013, 09:39:31 AM »

In my mind the damage model is not the most important thing to address.
Game play would however be transformed if it was found possible to develop AI for ships.
First priority for me would be collision avoidance.
At present you can stop an entire column of ships just be disabling the one at the front.
The same collision avoidance might be used to track and avoid torpedoes?

I have no idea how to achieve it. Just throwing my thoughts in.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2013, 10:11:24 AM »

At present you can stop an entire column of ships just be disabling the one at the front.

Can you have ships in column? Meaning a convoy like with armored columns for vehicles? If so, that would be great. Is there a link for this?

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2013, 12:52:10 PM »

No. I meant when you create a column by placing each ship individually.

352nd_Hoss

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2013, 09:28:36 AM »

Would love to see the Ship AI done................ I have mentioned before that I would love to see ships put into convoys like you can do with the vehicles, that way you could put 6 to 10 ships into a convoy with a single mouse click and not have to set the course and speed for each ship.  Maybe Diadalos will give this some thought.... I finally got a rise out of them to do a Formation Mod for FMB after years of whining for it....lol, so maybe we can get this in time too.

Cheers

Hoss

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2013, 09:32:43 AM »

Maybe Diadalos will give this some thought.... I finally got a rise out of them to do a Formation Mod for FMB after years of whining for it....lol, so maybe we can get this in time too.

Frog made a Formation mod for the FMB years ago ... and a fine mod it is too ...

352nd_Hoss

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2013, 11:24:56 AM »

Maybe Diadalos will give this some thought.... I finally got a rise out of them to do a Formation Mod for FMB after years of whining for it....lol, so maybe we can get this in time too.

Frog made a Formation mod for the FMB years ago ... and a fine mod it is too ...

Yep I have it, and it works well in DBW 1.7.1, but not everyone does................ or can make it work..................

The new Formation Mod in FMB for 4.12 along with the AI taxi to take off and your skins on Static Aircraft is going to be an early Christmas (or B'day present for me if in June)
for Mission builders.  So everyone will have it as a stock option so any missions built by 3rd party builders will be usable by all....

Cheers

Hoss
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 25 queries.