Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: This change made a HUGE impact on my frame rates!  (Read 5895 times)

Jiver67

• Modder
Re: This change made a HUGE impact on my frame rates!
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 12:34:25 PM »

For those of you who have an Nvidia GeForce card

Sorry if it is obvious but why only for Nvidia GeForce ? I have an ATI card and sometimes have only very low fps, would like to boost it a little bit  ;)

If the ATI driver software has a setting for "Threaded Optimization" (or similar) by all means make sure it is set to "off". Of course you will also want to set v-sync to "off" for the highest frame rates but this might introduce some horizontal tearing (it didn't on my computer). As Crazyflak said, I only mentioned Nvidia cards as that is what I have in my PC. I'm not familiar with the ATI driver software and so don't know if this change will work for those with ATI cards. If it does, please let me know (and let others know!). 

Jiver67

• Modder
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 12:59:27 PM »

Block your FPS to 50 and spare your card for doing other things.
200 FPS is only commercial !.... and for Geeks.

I beg to differ on this. If you fly at low altitudes on a map that is heavy on objects and textures (such as Slovakia) I can guarantee you that your 50 frames per second will drop by almost 50% when flying over the city areas (using highest in-game video settings). So now your are at ~25 fps (still a reasonable frame rate). Add in other aircraft, ground units, etc. and your 25 fps will drop even further and you will begin to notice a "slow motion" effect. For me this is an immersion killer. Having very high frame rates provides a buffer against this happening if you play on maps with a large number of objects.

BT~Tarik

• Modder
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 02:16:11 PM »

Couldn't find any "Threaded Optimization" or "v-sync" in the ATI Software. (It is this CCC Thing right ?)

madcop

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 05:32:15 PM »

Block your FPS to 50 and spare your card for doing other things.
200 FPS is only commercial !.... and for Geeks.

I beg to differ on this. If you fly at low altitudes on a map that is heavy on objects and textures (such as Slovakia) I can guarantee you that your 50 frames per second will drop by almost 50% when flying over the city areas (using highest in-game video settings). So now your are at ~25 fps (still a reasonable frame rate). Add in other aircraft, ground units, etc. and your 25 fps will drop even further and you will begin to notice a "slow motion" effect. For me this is an immersion killer. Having very high frame rates provides a buffer against this happening if you play on maps with a large number of objects.

Hi Jiver

You're totally right.I must admit that I didn't think about that fact. Yes , indeed in this case the more FPS the better.
But you will agree with me that for the human eye (brain) 80 FPS or 200 FPS is about the same !
I wish I could have 25 FPS above a big town with another 15 aircrafts in the air ! (NVDIA 7800GS P.IV 3.2Ghz )

Madcop ;)

Jiver67

• Modder
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 07:01:53 PM »

But you will agree with me that for the human eye (brain) 80 FPS or 200 FPS is about the same!

Agreed. Assuming a static environment where other elements don't cause a drop in frame rate then anything over about 30 fps will not be noticed by the human eye.

acred99

• Modder
  • Meditation the only way to fly!!
    • Asisbiz.com
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 10:51:25 PM »

Sorry guy's but where the fuck do you find "Threaded Optimization" on your card ?  I have looked and looked, can't see it though. Any advice I would appreciate it, cheers !

Uufflakke

• Modder
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 11:39:15 PM »

Sorry guy's but where the fuck do you find "Threaded Optimization" on your card ?  I have looked and looked, can't see it though. Any advice I would appreciate it, cheers !

I think it's an option only available at higher end cards? I haven't found it on my NV Geforce 8600GT either.
And by the way with VSynch turned of it increases fps but it's too much of an immersion killer this horizontal tearing effect.
"The Best Things In Live Aren't Things"

CWMV

• Kalashnikov connoisseur
  • Modder
  • A free people ought to be armed and disciplined.
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 11:40:12 PM »

Yep, cant play without it.

Jiver67

• Modder
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 12:51:00 AM »

As Uufflakke said, this option must be specific to later version cards and/or drivers. I'm running Nvidia reference driver version 275.33 on a GTX 460. If you don't have the latest drivers installed you might try updating them and see if the option becomes available. I thought this feature was common to all the GeForce series cards from the 8800 up. 

Blaubaer

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 12:55:35 AM »

Thanks for the tip, this gave me a big performance improvement as soon as I started it up (TO off, VSync off)!
Even with VSync on it gives me a big fps-plus. Thanks for the tip!

Regards - der Blaubaer

Jiver67

• Modder
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 01:14:10 AM »

Here is what I see in my driver properties:

acred99

• Modder
  • Meditation the only way to fly!!
    • Asisbiz.com
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 02:30:20 AM »

Thanks for the advice anyway fellas, Im running NVIDIA Gforce GT 240 And I don't think I have those driver properties available Jiver. Maybe Im not looking in the right place ? right click your mouse and go to properties, then setting ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 24 queries.