Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 33   Go Down

Author Topic: DCG for Dark Blue World - New Packs for DBW 171 & DCG 346/7  (Read 138717 times)

sa_475th_Chaney

Re: DCG for Dark Blue World v1.1 - Important new update v01
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2011, 08:17:43 PM »

Indeed lam, just download and install DCG as per Paul's instructions, the only difference is replacing Paul's "stock" files in the DCG "Data" directory with these three, which will enable all the planes in DBW in DCG.
Stock DCG campaigns should run without problems (now most of the bugs have been fixed!?). You may want to review the planes at the start of the campaign though as I said for Poland39, as the old campaign planesets only use stock 4101, and remember to choose loadouts for the planes in your chosen campaign, no bombs, no bangs.

Third party campaigns might use previous modded planes from UP2 which may since have been changed in DBW, so unless or until a campaign is updated it's worth checking the campaign files first to see if everything matches up. The other place to look is in the timetable.dcg file for your campaign, this could contain "NewPayload" entries which may specify a loadout which was in UP2 for example but has been changed in DBW, so again, check out your campaign first to avoid sudden errors spoiling your fun.

This is basically just a "mod enabler" for DCG like the previous sets for UP2 and HSFX, but it's the combination that extends your horizons, they basically go hand in hand, and the files will be updated as things move on and I get through updating all the data for the planes, which may take a while though.

Happy to be of service and hope you enjoy flying DCG in DBW.

ok confused a bit. On paul's site, they never said to install the DCG into the main game folder but he made a separate folder outside the game. Is that right?

PA_Willy

Re: DCG for Dark Blue World - Version 06.1
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2011, 12:24:53 AM »

It's right. DCG program in separated folder. Later, program will ask you for the IL2 path.

Slink

• Cosmetic to some; to others a nightmare! - Merlin
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2011, 11:18:45 AM »

Thanks for helping out PA_Willy, very appreciated.

Chaney, these files are indeed for Paul's DCG, not the stock DGEN. DCG is however only intended for the stock game, what these files do is simply enable all the planes in DBW so you can use them too, but you have to put them into campaigns yourself as all the original ones also only use stock planes, but once they're in DCG that's easy.

DCG is an alternative to DGEN, you can use both if you want to, but generally most people go for DGEN replacement mode which is the easiest, where DGG backs up your DGEN file and replaces it with a copy of DCG, which also has to be named DGEN or the game won't recognise it, but you can always tell the difference as the new icon has DCG written on it! Using this mode you can play just as you would normally with missions being generated directly by clicking the Apply button in-game, just as if it were the stock game. You can also reverse this to get DGEN back at any time.

You can install DCG anywhere on your machine, except over a network, but putting it in the game directory itself seems to make sense to me. I have it in the Missions folder, as that way I can access any of the default template missions in FMB for editing, but wait until you're more familiar before trying that, but it doesn't really matter where it is as long as the paths in the two ini files are correct; one in the DCG folder and another in the game root folder. Use the set up wizard in the top left menu to set the path to your game folder and your DCG folder, and IL2 version (should be 1946 of course).

Once it's installed and running you can choose the mode you want under options, best and easiest to activate replacement mode, you can also replace NGEN for co-ops if required. Then you only have to click on the little globe, choose your airforce and campaign, create the campaign, close DCG and start the game. Then just continue as normal starting the campaign in IL2, just select user defined DCG campaign on the list and continue as always, if you replaced DGEN with DCG you can continue through the campaign by simply clicking on Apply after a mission, the rest is automatic.

DCG is really very simple, but any new program is unclear until you're familiar with it, just takes a bit of practice until it all becomes second nature, bit like riding a bike.

You can use any mod plane as long as the data is there in DCG, which is why I started these files so everyone doesn't have to do it themselves, and any stationary objects too, try adding some of CY6's amazing C&C objects to a campaign template mission, just start with dynamic weather, and DCG will put it in for you in every mission, bliss!

You can also use modded maps, which DGEN cannot, but these are a lot of work to add but some have already been done in some third party campaigns, but play the game with DCG first, fiddle about later.

There are no conflicts with other missions/campaigns, you can still fly single missions or static campaigns, even DGEN if you want, just disable "replacement mode" to restore your backup of DGEN.

This does all raise a question though, as originally I didn't want to explain how to use DCG here, as it's not my program rather Paul's, and he does a pretty good job of it anyway, but perhaps a very basic introduction in the first post would be useful for new users wondering what it's all about?

sa_475th_Chaney

« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2011, 10:38:33 PM »

Thanks for helping out PA_Willy, very appreciated.

Chaney, these files are indeed for Paul's DCG, not the stock DGEN. DCG is however only intended for the stock game, what these files do is simply enable all the planes in DBW so you can use them too, but you have to put them into campaigns yourself as all the original ones also only use stock planes, but once they're in DCG that's easy.

DCG is an alternative to DGEN, you can use both if you want to, but generally most people go for DGEN replacement mode which is the easiest, where DGG backs up your DGEN file and replaces it with a copy of DCG, which also has to be named DGEN or the game won't recognise it, but you can always tell the difference as the new icon has DCG written on it! Using this mode you can play just as you would normally with missions being generated directly by clicking the Apply button in-game, just as if it were the stock game. You can also reverse this to get DGEN back at any time.

You can install DCG anywhere on your machine, except over a network, but putting it in the game directory itself seems to make sense to me. I have it in the Missions folder, as that way I can access any of the default template missions in FMB for editing, but wait until you're more familiar before trying that, but it doesn't really matter where it is as long as the paths in the two ini files are correct; one in the DCG folder and another in the game root folder. Use the set up wizard in the top left menu to set the path to your game folder and your DCG folder, and IL2 version (should be 1946 of course).

Once it's installed and running you can choose the mode you want under options, best and easiest to activate replacement mode, you can also replace NGEN for co-ops if required. Then you only have to click on the little globe, choose your airforce and campaign, create the campaign, close DCG and start the game. Then just continue as normal starting the campaign in IL2, just select user defined DCG campaign on the list and continue as always, if you replaced DGEN with DCG you can continue through the campaign by simply clicking on Apply after a mission, the rest is automatic.

DCG is really very simple, but any new program is unclear until you're familiar with it, just takes a bit of practice until it all becomes second nature, bit like riding a bike.

You can use any mod plane as long as the data is there in DCG, which is why I started these files so everyone doesn't have to do it themselves, and any stationary objects too, try adding some of CY6's amazing C&C objects to a campaign template mission, just start with dynamic weather, and DCG will put it in for you in every mission, bliss!

You can also use modded maps, which DGEN cannot, but these are a lot of work to add but some have already been done in some third party campaigns, but play the game with DCG first, fiddle about later.

There are no conflicts with other missions/campaigns, you can still fly single missions or static campaigns, even DGEN if you want, just disable "replacement mode" to restore your backup of DGEN.

This does all raise a question though, as originally I didn't want to explain how to use DCG here, as it's not my program rather Paul's, and he does a pretty good job of it anyway, but perhaps a very basic introduction in the first post would be useful for new users wondering what it's all about?

Damn I guess I just screwed this all to hell. I followed the instructions to a T and was actually enjoying flying a battle of midway DCG and now when I click on the il2fb.exe, i don't get the selector and it freakin goes straight into pacific fighters 4.10.1m or some crap where it used to load thru DBW. I have no clue what went wrong. i giess I'll keep digging for a solution. even with your patch, i don't think it's possible to change the opposing side's planes is it? they just get stock dcg planes right?

Slink

« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2011, 03:19:01 AM »

Whoops, no selector and stock game means you have the stock exe, does it ask for the CD? Something must have replaced the file, anything in jsgme? Weird old mod? DCG simply cannot change your IL2fb.exe, something must have happened in-between, what was the last change you made?

Lonestar has a new updated Midway campaign in the missions & campaigns section.

You can change any plane in DCG, anytime. Do this either upfront/permanently by editing the campaignname.mis file in the DCG/Masters folder using FMB, where you can also add extra squads, columns,  AA or new objects like dynamic weather to the mission map, or you can do it after starting the campaign by simply opening DCG and clicking on the squadrons button at the top. You then get a list of every squad in the game (top left drop down list) along with it's plane type, skill level, max/min planes, radio settings, skins, pilots, etc etc. The one immediately below is the name box for the displayed squad, don't mix them up ( I do, often). Then comes a box with the plane type for that squad, just choose whichever you like for any squad you select and it will be used in the next mission you generate. You can however only have mod planes by using the DCG4DBW files, stock DCG only has stock planes of course. You can also use the plane upgrade function to change plane types semi-automatically according to date, also on the planes screen. This is normally for upgrading to the latest model but obsolete types can change to new types or something completely different if you like, but this does then affect all squads using that plane, although they won't all upgrade simultaneously, so it's a nice bit of unpredictability. Incidentally, you don't really have to quote previous posts in full unless it's strictly relevant, or you really want to, makes posting  & scrolling a lot quicker, but everyone has their own style.

sa_475th_Chaney

« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2011, 10:24:28 AM »

Whoops, no selector and stock game means you have the stock exe, does it ask for the CD? Something must have replaced the file, anything in jsgme? Weird old mod? DCG simply cannot change your IL2fb.exe, something must have happened in-between, what was the last change you made?

Lonestar has a new updated Midway campaign in the missions & campaigns section.

You can change any plane in DCG, anytime. Do this either upfront/permanently by editing the campaignname.mis file in the DCG/Masters folder using FMB, where you can also add extra squads, columns,  AA or new objects like dynamic weather to the mission map, or you can do it after starting the campaign by simply opening DCG and clicking on the squadrons button at the top. You then get a list of every squad in the game (top left drop down list) along with it's plane type, skill level, max/min planes, radio settings, skins, pilots, etc etc. The one immediately below is the name box for the displayed squad, don't mix them up ( I do, often). Then comes a box with the plane type for that squad, just choose whichever you like for any squad you select and it will be used in the next mission you generate. You can however only have mod planes by using the DCG4DBW files, stock DCG only has stock planes of course. You can also use the plane upgrade function to change plane types semi-automatically according to date, also on the planes screen. This is normally for upgrading to the latest model but obsolete types can change to new types or something completely different if you like, but this does then affect all squads using that plane, although they won't all upgrade simultaneously, so it's a nice bit of unpredictability. Incidentally, you don't really have to quote previous posts in full unless it's strictly relevant, or you really want to, makes posting  & scrolling a lot quicker, but everyone has their own style.

Ok was odd but some weird way my selector got corrupted. well i downloaded a new one and all is good now. Midway is loading and I'm enjoying this DCg thing. thanks a ton.

Slink

Re: DCG for Dark Blue World - Expansions
« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2011, 12:21:11 PM »

So here's a draft doc with my suggestions for expanding DCG, at 9 pages it's a bit long to post, but thoughts, comments and additions are welcome before I ask Paul to look at it on the Lowengrin website. Relates to both standard DCG (and using the DBW files) and some aspects particularly relevant for the CoE campaign, where I mentioned this, but belongs here really as it is actually for DCG generally. Would never expect to get all of this but maybe prioritise?

DCG REQUESTS.DOC: http://www.datafilehost.com/download-6f131bb5.html

WindWpn

• Modder
« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2011, 01:08:46 PM »

Wonder if there is also a way to always maintain the "Apply" button even if a pilot dies during a DCG mission.  Basically allow the recording of activity for the mission (which only occurs when "Apply" is pressed) where the pilot was killed, though still resetting the player's stats (if chosen) when the new mission is created.  Realistically, action that occurred during the mission where a player dies should be recorded and the player should not have to experience "Groundhog Day."

ElmarBoehl

« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2011, 02:57:09 AM »

As a complete newbie in DCG, I need to know how to handle the whole stuff. I think I 1st have to download all the material from here:http://www.lowengrin.com/news.php, install it and the 2nd step will be to update it with  version 06.1....that´s all ? Or is there anything to keep in mind for DBW?

Thanx in advance

elmar

Slink

« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2011, 11:51:55 AM »

Yep, that's just about all there is to it, and welcome to DCG elmar!

Installation and usage instructions are all available at Paul's site, unfortunately a load of info on the forums got lost when the server died so it's back to square one there I'm afraid, but if you get stuck just ask.

Make sure you enable DGEN replacement mode so that DCG replaces DGEN in-game and generates missions automatically without any input. You can always reverse this at anytime if you want to play DGEN again.

Standard DCG only supports stock IL2, so these files just replace the standard DCG originals to enable the mod planes used in DBW. However, the standard DCG campaigns also only use stock IL2 planes, and are getting a little dated, so to put a new plane into a campaign you have to add them manually, just generate the campaign, open DCG and look at your squadrons panel, you can then give any squad any plane you like. This is only for the campaign you generated though, start a new one and all your changes are gone of course. To change planes permanently you have to edit the mission templates in DCG, easy enough in FMB, or even in a text editor. You can also change or add squads, columns, objects etc. There's a quick Poland39 mission template in this thread where I added new planes and columns, just for testing, shows how easy it is, so you can customise your campaigns to however you like them.

Some third party campaigns are also available, mostly designed for UP2, which should mostly work but may need to be updated if a plane or it's loadouts have changed in the meantime, so stick to the stock DCG campaigns until you're more familiar with DCG, there are plenty of them!

These files are still not complete, (been busy, honest... see my other thread) but seem to be fairly reliable as there have been no error reports for some time, but the jet era planes still need to be finalised, and DBW 1.7 is around the corner which will bring some major changes so we're just waiting to see what happens.

ElmarBoehl

« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2011, 02:54:14 PM »

Yep, that's just about all there is to it, and welcome to DCG elmar!

Make sure you enable DGEN replacement mode so that DCG replaces DGEN in-game and generates missions automatically without any input. You can always reverse this at anytime if you want to play DGEN again.

...how do I do this?

Slink

« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2011, 05:20:17 PM »

Start DCG, and on the top menu bar go to "Mode".
In the drop-down list you can now select "Replace Career Generator (DGEN)".
This will back up your DGEN.exe file and replace it with a copy of DCG.exe, which will still be called DGEN as the game needs this name to recognise it, but it's actually the DCG.exe file, you can tell by the icon which now says DCG in big letters.
You can now generate a campaign in DCG, go into the game and start it, and continue through as if playing with DGEN i.e. missions are generated automatically when you click on "Apply" at the end of a mission, no need for hot keys or anything. Unticking this option will then put DGEN back again.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 33   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 29 queries.