Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TBM Avengers of Lt. George 'Skin' Bush  (Read 3382 times)

Knochenlutscher

• Flying Ass Clown #10
  • Modder
  • aka Segfej
TBM Avengers of Lt. George 'Skin' Bush
« on: June 13, 2011, 12:17:50 PM »

I couldn't resist. Never knew this might happening to me. It's one of these occasions a skinner needs having lots of fun doing exceptionals. It's far from perfect.

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads2&file=details&id=6344

1 historical Skin for TBM-3 Avenger of Pilot Ensign George H.W. Bush:
TBM-3 Avenger FT 42, Fort Lauderdale Trainer, "Fox Tare 42"

2 historical Skins for TBM-3 Avenger of Pilot Lt. George H.W. "Skin" Bush:
TBM-3 Avenger X2
TBM-3 Avenger X3

(named Barbara II, Barbara III...) of VT-51 onboard USS San Jacinto (CVL-30)

The USN service of Mr. Bush from Wikipedia:

"Following the attack on Pearl Harbor in December 1941, Bush decided to join the US Navy, so after graduating from Phillips Academy earlier in 1942, he became a naval aviator at the age of 18. After completing the 10-month course, he was commissioned as an ensign in the U.S. Naval Reserve at Corpus Christi, Texas on June 9, 1943, just three days before his 19th birthday, which made him the youngest naval aviator to that date.

He was assigned to Torpedo Squadron (VT-51) as the photographic officer in September 1943. The following year, his squadron was based on the USS San Jacinto as a member of Air Group 51, where his lanky physique earned him the nickname 'Skin'. During this time, the task force was victorious in one of the largest air battles of World War II: the Battle of the Philippine Sea.

After Bush's promotion to Lieutenant (junior grade) on August 1, the San Jacinto commenced operations against the Japanese in the Bonin Islands. Bush piloted one of four Grumman TBM Avenger aircraft from VT-51 that attacked the Japanese installations on Chichijima. His crew for the mission, which occurred on September 2, 1944, included Radioman Second Class John Delaney and Lieutenant Junior Grade William White. During their attack, the Avengers encountered intense anti-aircraft fire; Bush's aircraft was hit by flak and his engine caught on fire. Despite his plane being on fire, Bush completed his attack and released bombs over his target, scoring several damaging hits. With his engine afire, Bush flew several miles from the island, where he and one other crew member on the TBM Avenger bailed out of the aircraft; the other man's parachute did not open. It has not been determined which man bailed out with Bush as both Delaney and White were killed as a result of the battle. Bush waited for four hours in an inflated raft, while several fighters circled protectively overhead until he was rescued by the lifeguard submarine USS Finback. For the next month he remained on the Finback, and participated in the rescue of other pilots.

Bush subsequently returned to San Jacinto in November 1944 and participated in operations in the Philippines until his squadron was replaced and sent home to the United States. Through 1944, he flew 58 combat missions for which he received the Distinguished Flying Cross, three Air Medals, and the Presidential Unit Citation awarded to San Jacinto.

Because of his valuable combat experience, Bush was reassigned to Norfolk Navy Base and put in a training wing for new torpedo pilots. He was later assigned as a naval aviator in a new torpedo squadron, VT-153. Upon the Japanese surrender in 1945, Bush was honorably discharged in September of that year."

I knew he flew 3 different planes on USS San Jacinto, these 2 and another 3rd (possibly "Barbara") I couldn't find info about, I'm sorry.  :-[ OK, we found a 3rd, not the 3rd from his combat service, but still, three is better than two.

Template by Imme
Markings by Imme

Skin by Segfej/2011

Have phunn
Regards
Segfej
Wiseman : "Did you speak the exact words?" Ash : "Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah."

Cranky.1

• Modder
Re: TBM Avengers of Lt. George 'Skin' Bush
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 01:02:35 PM »

Thanks Knochenlutscher
There is is film footage by the sub crew of bush being pull out of the sea onto the deck.
great skin mate

Knochenlutscher

• Flying Ass Clown #10
  • Modder
  • aka Segfej
Re: TBM Avengers of Lt. George 'Skin' Bush
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 07:43:33 PM »

Saw a still from it, I guess.
BTW. check back to M4T, I found a 3rd, his trainer from Fort Lauderdale, Pack updated.
Regards
Wiseman : "Did you speak the exact words?" Ash : "Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 24 queries.