Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Marshalls  (Read 19230 times)

canonuk

• Canons Skins - textures for Il-2
Re: The Marshalls
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2013, 04:44:14 PM »

I used the same approach in my Channel map - each airfield consisted of 16 plates, except I used 1 texture shared between all 16 plates. However, because I had about 80 airfields this became a little cumbersome.

Dave - are you saying then that you have up to 20 1024x1024 textures per airfield, one for each plate?

DaveOD06

• Modder
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2013, 10:39:37 PM »

Here's a sneak preview for my Marshalls plates:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4435031/Dave's_Plates.zip

If you look at the file structures and static.ini entries, you should be able to get an idea of how it works. I came up with these working from KevinP's airfield plate tutorials.

One important note: With the way the textures are mapped in Gmax, there is a 64-pixel border of "unused" buffer space around each texture in the plate. This is done to avoid gaps, or seams, in the plate once you assemble it. I'll try to illustrate that with the following two images.

The white space in the middle is what you want to focus on

Then, once you have painted in the white space, continue your runways (or whatever you might be drawing on that particular texture) at least part of the way into the red 64-pixel border area to eliminate join seams between textures. Again, all this has to do with the way Gmax does the UV-mapping. I have no idea why it does this, I only know the solution to get around it.

As an example, I give you the #11 texture from my Wotje plate (white area is actually transparent in the .tga version of this)

When you don't leave the 64-pixel gap, this is what happens (the stuff circled in red).

I hope this isn't too hopelessly confusing. I need to go to bed, I'll try to clarify this tomorrow. I've also just realized I may have lost all of my airfield's master texture files. F@#%!

DaveOD06

• Modder
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2013, 11:18:30 PM »

Before I go to bed, one last thought.

1. Identify the airfield you want to create a plate for.
2. Identify how big the area you want to cover is.
3. Try to get some good direct overhead aerial photos, airport diagrams, or maps.
4. For now, pick one of my plates that is close to the size you need by looking at the Airfield Plate Dimensions.txt file in my download (Explaining how to make your own from scratch in Gmax is a whole other can of worms right now)
5. Create a transparent image in Gimp of the correct size based on which airfield of mine you chose to base your new one off of
6. Draw your new airfield (do a good job, use lots of layers, and save it as a .xcf file)
   a. I like to keep each individual runway on it's own layer, as well as the taxiways and parking areas
   b. You may need to develop your own custom "patterns" to use in Gimp to fill in your runways using the bucket tool, this is an acquired skill and I can't explain how to do it in a short amount of time.
   c. Make sure the runways have their main axes in increments of 5 degrees (like I attempted to explain in an earlier post)
   d. You can use aforementioned aerial photos and maps in your bottom layer as a rough guide, but make sure the runways you draw follow the 5 degree rule
7. When you have finished drawing your airfield, contact me for further steps (such as the 64-pixel border business I was trying to explain up above)

DaveOD06

• Modder
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2013, 11:19:57 PM »

I used the same approach in my Channel map - each airfield consisted of 16 plates, except I used 1 texture shared between all 16 plates. However, because I had about 80 airfields this became a little cumbersome.

Dave - are you saying then that you have up to 20 1024x1024 textures per airfield, one for each plate?

And yes Canon, that is precisely what I mean. Download and install my plates and open up the map building version of the game to check them out.

bigans

• Maw-Superaereo
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2013, 09:44:56 AM »

Unfortunatly Gmax12 seems not run with my Windows7...setup program end after few seconds. I can't let him run chosing XP version by properties tab.
anyone could give me a solution? Thank you

Rogue

« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2013, 09:48:16 AM »

Looks really nice

Bee

• Modder
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2014, 07:56:47 AM »

This map is looking fantastic.  The colours especially are spot on.  Hope you're still making progress, its a beaut!

DaveOD06

• Modder
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2014, 12:50:26 AM »

Yep, I'm still working on this one. Slowly, haha.

Bee

• Modder
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2014, 01:00:00 AM »

Best of luck.  Definitely some of the best PTO texture work I've ever seen.  ;)

genXgamer

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2023, 09:12:58 PM »

Hi Guys

Does anyone have the two tutorials mentioned in reply #43?
Go in quickly - Punch hard - Get out!

Flamer50

• 'Tracers work both ways.'
    • photobucket.com
'The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.'

genXgamer

« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2023, 11:49:13 PM »

A big thanks!   The Member Formerly Known as......

I'll download after dinner or first thing tomorrow when I get to work.
Go in quickly - Punch hard - Get out!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 26 queries.