Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: USN Fleet Carriers - update  (Read 51068 times)

Bennymick

Re: USN Fleet Carriers - update
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2011, 05:25:55 AM »

This looks like a really nice mode but being new to all this modding and especially trying to change the INI files....quite difficult. For me, that is.  In a nutshell I don't understand how to do it.  I would rather that you just have your entire Chief and Stationary INI files available to Copy and Paste instead of trying to figure out where to insert the text exactly.

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2011, 05:30:27 AM »

Everyone's ini files are different, depending on which mods you have installed.
Simply pasting an entire new *.ini into your install is almost guaranteed to crash the game.

You need to get your head around how to do the text edits to add custom mods, or alternatively stick to pre-packaged Mod packs like HSFX or UP3.

The text edits for ship mods can be quite complicated.
Try adding an aircraft mod first, like the new B26 Marauder.
The text edits are easier to follow with that mod, although you do have to get involved with DiffFM as well in order to get it to work  :)

When you try your first ship mod start by adding only the chief.ini and ships.ini text. It will work without the other edits being added.  Always keep backups of any files you are changing.

Kiosk

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2011, 09:42:24 AM »

think of it this way, I keep a ZIP of the STD folder handy in case I bork something up, when adding a ship or ships, make sure to follow the readme, and have a checklist for each ship, mine kinda goes like this :

chief.ini - 2 entries ( check ! )
ships.ini - 1 long entry ( check ! )
stationary.ini - 1 short entry ( check !  )
technics.ru - shipname entry ( check ! )

( test by heading straight for your FMB or full mission builder, add the ship onscreen and hit play to see her go )

having a checklist helps you avoid forgetting to add an entry and eliminate one of the most common mistakes in adding anything into IL2 ( a 70% CTD due to a missing ini entry ) but as stated above there might also be conflicts with other mods, "assembling" a custom mod install takes a bit of patience and testing.

I know the big E is supposed to be a yorktown class, but I needed a stand in, so I repainted your generic essex class CV9 as a "theoretical remodel" - thanks again for the excellent set of carriers to fly from (now if I can only get the CVLs to work )

PlaneEater

• Akimbo pixelslinger
  • Modder
    • Garage Bay 9
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2011, 06:18:42 PM »

think of it this way, I keep a ZIP of the STD folder handy in case I bork something up, when adding a ship or ships, make sure to follow the readme, and have a checklist for each ship, mine kinda goes like this :

chief.ini - 2 entries ( check ! )
ships.ini - 1 long entry ( check ! )
stationary.ini - 1 short entry ( check !  )
technics.ru - shipname entry ( check ! )

( test by heading straight for your FMB or full mission builder, add the ship onscreen and hit play to see her go )

having a checklist helps you avoid forgetting to add an entry and eliminate one of the most common mistakes in adding anything into IL2 ( a 70% CTD due to a missing ini entry ) but as stated above there might also be conflicts with other mods, "assembling" a custom mod install takes a bit of patience and testing.

I know the big E is supposed to be a yorktown class, but I needed a stand in, so I repainted your generic essex class CV9 as a "theoretical remodel" - thanks again for the excellent set of carriers to fly from (now if I can only get the CVLs to work )

Hold your horses, I'm getting there... slowly.   ;D  Had to finish working on Forza 4 first.

Kiosk

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2011, 07:19:33 PM »

Very nice, she looks real good, any ETA on that WIP or do I have to sacrifice some sheep and dribble blood all over my desktop to get you goin' ?  ??? ;D

PlaneEater

• Akimbo pixelslinger
  • Modder
    • Garage Bay 9
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2011, 07:20:30 PM »

Very nice, she looks real good, any ETA on that WIP or do I have to sacrifice some sheep and dribble blood all over my desktop to get you goin' ?  ??? ;D

Sheep and blood, dude...  I'm working on it, but can't give you solid timeframes.

Plowshare

• Modder
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2011, 08:03:04 PM »

PlaneEater:

When or if you get this great ship and and running I'd be honoured to paint 'er up for you. Done a bunch of research and am ready whenever...

Bob

PlaneEater

• Akimbo pixelslinger
  • Modder
    • Garage Bay 9
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2011, 08:12:30 PM »

PlaneEater:

When or if you get this great ship and and running I'd be honoured to paint 'er up for you. Done a bunch of research and am ready whenever...

Bob

Thanks!  I'll need to do the alphas since I'm using lots of alphacut to shape small details, but I wouldn't mind handing off the painting at all.

I'm planning on doing Yorktown, Enterprise, and Hornet at each major overhaul / refit.  Enterprise is going to be the biggest job, since it changed constantly from the beginning to the end of the war, especially the AAA fit.

JG54Spookie

• Modder
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2011, 02:01:23 PM »

PlaneEater, you are the MAN! I've been waiting forever for the Enterprise!!

By the way, Forza 4 looks so good that I might have to steal my friend's XBOX 360. I've been playing GT5 since Christmas, and it's fugly compared to Forza 3.

Sorry, to hijack the thread with racing sim talk... :P   Back to the ships!

NIGHTFIGHTER

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2011, 12:26:25 PM »

Well folks after trying 5 times to install this mod, I think i can say it wont run in HSFX 5.1 :( I have followed the install by the letter even taking advice from folks on this post and testing the game after each edit of the Chief ini file.  All went well until the momment we come to edit, as soon as i put in the first two lines of new text,
 USSSaratogaCV3_1943_1945 ships.ShipPlow$USSSaratogaCV3_1943_1945  1 icons/shipDestroyer.mat
 USSSaratogaCV3_1944      ships.ShipPlow$USSSaratogaCV3_1944       1 icons/shipDestroyer.mat
I got to 70% then CTD.
Dam this is a real shame as your shipping looks fantastic.  Im not a virgin to modding the game (20% of my aircraft are moded) but this would have been my first Ship Mod...Anyway thanks for the chance, and thanks for all the hard work you have done..Gary

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2011, 02:22:14 PM »

It runs fine in HSFX5.1
That's what I am using.

As a minimum you need text entries in two places in chief.ini to make it work.
Your post suggests that you only have a text entry in one place in chief.ini for each of the two ships.

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2011, 12:01:54 AM »

yeah, i think that's most likely the problem - many guys have been caught out by the two separate entries that need to be done in chief.ini.
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 25 queries.