Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Campaign Idea For Heavy Bombers. Sabu's Squadron. The 307th Bomb Group  (Read 3477 times)

Ishmael

• Boiling Frogs Post

I was watching the original Jungle Book tonight and started researching Sabu, The Elephant Boy. I found out that he served in the Air Corps as a B-24 Ball Turret gunner with the 307th Bomb Group in World War 2 here:

http://www.moviefanfare.com/fanfare-guests/anybody-remember-sabu-the-elephant-boy/

"Sabu flew forty two combat missions in the very vulnerable position of ball-turret gunner, and when he was discharged in 1945 he was the proud recipient of the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Air Medal with Four Oak Leaf Clusters, The American Campaign Medal, and the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal. At the time of his separation from the military he had been a resident of the United States for five years and had served two of those years in the armed service."

More on the 307th Bombardment Group here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/307th_Bombardment_Group

They saw action in the Solomons, Bismarcks, New Guinea, the Palaus, Truk, the Phillipines, the Dutch East Indies and Indo-China. I thought that such a campaign could be made using many existing game maps and ould be a fitting tribute to Sabu and the rest of the 307th.

cyberolas

• Modder

Ok, Ishmael, 307BG, this is Long Rangers, or not?
Right now is my campaign Long Rangers (1943 in Solomons) in beta tester.
Campaign is with radio, runways lights and other for 4.10, 4.101
Here is trailer

CraigM

Hi Cyberolas

Well mate I thought I was in the theatre watching an old news real with your trailer all it neede was some voice overs and well it could have been....sensational..

CraigM

Ishmael

• Boiling Frogs Post

Ok, Ishmael, 307BG, this is Long Rangers, or not?
Right now is my campaign Long Rangers (1943 in Solomons) in beta tester.
Campaign is with radio, runways lights and other for 4.10, 4.101
Here is trailer

That is correct. I just came across THESE youtube links you should find helpful. About 30 mins of home movies OF life in the 307th filmed by a squadron member during WW2.

cyberolas

• Modder

Screwball

Hi Cyberolas, finally been able to start up my engines and take wing up the Slot - been excited about being able to do so since I first saw your trailer, which has got to rank not just among the top teasers but among the best Il-2 shorts. It certainly worked on me!

My B-24's just on the way home from the first mission (love the idea btw, and appreciate the placement of targets ;) ) and was just wondering if you could explain the whole Radio Honolulu thing? Would make this trip perfect :)

Screwy

Edit: What you do is apply the DBW radio hotfix :)
Edit 2: I've set my B-24 down for the last time, and very sad it was too. It's been a great tour, and despite fairly heavy use of my 'co-pilot' I formed quite an attachment to Henderson, Radio Honolulu, and The Joker (I couldn't resist that skin, sorry!) and could happily have seen through another raid or few ;) Thanks for a great few hours (!) - from reveling in the Pacific sunsets, to bringing my battered crate home with just rudders, throttles and flaps still working (proud of myself for that one!) to using her as a gunship to knock marauding fighterbombers out of the sky, to reducing revs right back to conserve gas after a fuel-tank leak and settling down to some serious nav whilst watching your squadron speed home as the darkness rises...some great moments. Looking forward to whatever comes next. Screwy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.