Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: NACHTJAGD MISSION GENERATOR - Dozens of nightfighting missions in a few clicks.  (Read 6025 times)

sputnikshock

• Modder
  • exclusively IFR

EXPLODING ON THE RUNWAY ISSUE SOLVED

If your plane explodes on the runway right after you load a mission the reason for this is that the regiments/wings specified in the [wings] section of the .mis file do not match the wings actually present in the mission. If it happens with Nachtjagd Mission Generator then the data you copied from the light blue spreadsheet cell to your mission file is incomplete.
If you see this at the bottom of your mission file you can be sure it's complete:

[FrontMarker]
  FrontMarker0 409.34 128244.16 1
  FrontMarker1 102063.09 253174.64 1
  FrontMarker2 133101.65 225094.63 2
  FrontMarker3 18236.03 111010.41 2
  FrontMarker4 51857.47 152751.60 2
  FrontMarker5 38841.85 164671.68 1
[Buildings]
[Bridge]
[House]

CWMV

• Kalashnikov connoisseur
  • Modder
  • A free people ought to be armed and disciplined.

So what all needs to be done? As I'm sure you know, my missions don't have that part ;)

sputnikshock

• Modder
  • exclusively IFR

So what all needs to be done? As I'm sure you know, my missions don't have that part ;)
In excel or calc, select the light blue cell, right click "Format Cells...", select the "Alignment" tab, on the "Vertical" pull down menue select "bottom". Now you will see the last lines of your mission file.

If [House] shows up as the last entry, something's wrong with your copy/paste to the text editor.

If the last entry in the cell is not [House] then your excel/calc has problems handling the data. In this case, the best solution is to get OpenOffice 3.3. Just google it, it's a free download.

CWMV

• Modder

Well that's not quite working, I select 'bottom' and hit OK and all it does is move half a line down. Oh well.
Sounds like I need to download open office again...fuck.

Well.....I downloaded OpenOffice 3.3.
There was a whole lot there that wasn't in my excell based copy. Seemed it was missing nearly half the document. So I guess this really does need open office.

EDIT:
Wow, so this is probably the coolest thing Ive downloaded yet!
I learned a few things about night fighting tonight.
Becon navigation is the shit.
Trim is awesome.
The RO cant tell what the radar is looking at. A 110G-4 looks just like a Mosquito. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what the RO was calling out during takeoff, and when circling my standby position above a beacon. Then after I shot one down I realized he calls out ANYTHING his radar see's.
The Luftwaffe frowns upon shooting down friendly aircraft. ;D

CWMV

• Modder

Been playing for 3 nights now and its great. 8) Ive added the Mosquito NF Mk. II and the -110G-4. Going to add the Lancaster tonight.

Obviously -110G-4 does not have beacon nav ability. Sputnikshock, would you be able to add that to the 110G-4 like you did the 219?

the bombers don't seem to fly in a bomber stream, more in larger formations. I haven't yet come across a single Halifax, always in groups of at least three. Would it be possible to generate more, individual bombers with waypoints in a future release?

I'm not sure why, but about half of the RAF bombers are destroyed in collisions. Formations fly right into one another after spawning and through the mission. Way more are lost to collision than I can shoot down!

And like I said I'm going to switch from Halifax to Lancasters. The Halifax gunners are just too damn good to be real even with the AI sniper turret fix.

sputnikshock

• Modder
  • exclusively IFR

Adding nav features to planes is unfortunately a tedious task (at least for me, since I hardly know java). I am not planning to "navpatch" more planes in the near future.

I am aware about the bomber formation issues. As far as I know, Bomber Command formations were pretty generously spaced compared to say 8th air force day raids. This is of course due to the fact that flying in close formation at night is a demanding task. I am not unhappy with the spacing in the stream on average, the problem is more that there are clumps of 3 to 4 with large gaps in between. That's how it is in IL-2 and I can't do anything about it until Frog's formation mod becomes available for 4.10. Collisions did happen in reality, although loosing half seems a bit high. In the test runs I did there were collisions, but loss rate was nowhere near 50%. In the end this is the price I had to pay for a more or less compact conglomerate of quad formations (If someone has found a good solution for this I'd be happy to learn).

But....I'm working on Nachtjagd Mission Generator 2.0 which apart from lots of small corrections and improvements will come with completely new surprise features ;)

CWMV

• Modder

Adding nav features to planes is unfortunately a tedious task (at least for me, since I hardly know java). I am not planning to "navpatch" more planes in the near future.

I am aware about the bomber formation issues. As far as I know, Bomber Command formations were pretty generously spaced compared to say 8th air force day raids. This is of course due to the fact that flying in close formation at night is a demanding task. I am not unhappy with the spacing in the stream on average, the problem is more that there are clumps of 3 to 4 with large gaps in between. That's how it is in IL-2 and I can't do anything about it until Frog's formation mod becomes available for 4.10. Collisions did happen in reality, although loosing half seems a bit high. In the test runs I did there were collisions, but loss rate was nowhere near 50%. In the end this is the price I had to pay for a more or less compact conglomerate of quad formations (If someone has found a good solution for this I'd be happy to learn).

But....I'm working on Nachtjagd Mission Generator 2.0 which apart from lots of small corrections and improvements will come with completely new surprise features ;)
Oh well then sorry for asking, You made it look pretty easy throwing the 219 patch up in its thread so soon after posting this :D

formations of 3-4 ships wouldn't be bad at all, and I wouldn't mention it if that's what I was encountering. I just "landed" from one of these missions where I encountered two groups of Lanc's, one of 10+ and the other of about 16. In my previous post I should have been more detailed, the formations I'm seeing are of a minimum of 3 ships, but they fly in the same area as many other three and four ship formations. It makes for huge numbers of bombers in no distinguishable formation in close proximity to eachother. Ive seen some as large as 20+. Whats really a trip is watching all 10+ bombers corkscrew and plow into one another, its like the mere presence of the Uhu destroys them! :D

I also meant to ask if you put the AM radio station beacons in the generator? Just curious to see if I should add any music.

Regardless, I'm enjoying this generator a whole lot! I don't mean to try to pick at what I think is an awesome accessory to the sim that fills a MUCH needed gap.
The mission I just "landed" was the most trying Ive "flown" since I first got IL2 in '01. Thanks so much for this, and I anxiously await version 2.0.

sputnikshock

• Modder
  • exclusively IFR

No worries. Glad you're having so much fun with NJMG.
I will take a closer look at the formation issues again. v2.0 is basically done, just finetuning and waiting for CY6 latest version of Ground Control (= Command & Control) to be released as NJMG 2 will include the new features of his mod.

Concerning the AM stations: Currently there are none in the missions. But you could easily add one if you want. Either by placing it in the mis file or as a more permanent solution by adding the following line at the end of cell Mission.A42 in the spreadsheet (make sure it's at the beginning of a new line; Ctrl+Enter instead of Enter to add a new empty line in a cell):
249_Static vehicles.radios.Beacon$Grossdeutscher_Rundfunk 2 438092.66 134054.24 360.00 0.0

CWMV

• Modder

CY6 is constantly updating the Combat Control mod with new features. I don't expect you to release a new version of the NJMG for every update, so how can one add the newest version to the generator? Would it be any more complicated than adding the AM radio beacon?

Ok I'm having some trouble editing the A42 block. Every time I try to scroll to the bottom of A42 it just jumps to A43. Regardless of what I do I cant get to the bottom of the cell.
And I'm not familiar with "Strg+Enter"? Is that like Control+Enter?

sputnikshock

• Modder
  • exclusively IFR

CY6 is constantly updating the Combat Control mod with new features. I don't expect you to release a new version of the NJMG for every update, so how can one add the newest version to the generator? Would it be any more complicated than adding the AM radio beacon?

Ok I'm having some trouble editing the A42 block. Every time I try to scroll to the bottom of A42 it just jumps to A43. Regardless of what I do I cant get to the bottom of the cell.
And I'm not familiar with "Strg+Enter"? Is that like Control+Enter?

Lol...yes strg=ctrl on your keyboard. My mistake I edited my post. Either reduce the cell's row height so it fits into your screen or change vertical alignment to bottom (richt click, format cells). Hitting enter = jump to next cell. Ctrl+enter = next/new line in a cell.

Adding/changing items is no more difficult than adding the am radio in theory. Depending on what you intend to change you might have to change things in a whole string of cells which refer to each other or have certain dependencies. Just check the formulas in the cells and try to figure out what is happening when.

Anyway, version 2 will be out any day now and include the new possibilities of CY6 command & control.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 26 queries.