Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: How to install a New Aircraft  (Read 117482 times)

SAS~CirX

• R.I.P.
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • No Zips, Only Buttons
How to install a New Aircraft
« on: October 10, 2009, 04:20:54 AM »

How to Install a New Aircraft Easily:

Quick Overview:

Step 1:Download and Unzip properly
Step 2:Place correct folder in your MODS folder
Step 3:Add lines to weapons_ru and plane_ru files (Not Essential)
Step 4:Add lines to air.ini
Step 5:Check for latest Buttons file and instal if needed
Step 6:Make a new Skinfolder and name it correctly (Not Essential)

NOTE: In different Modactivators and Packs, the "MODS" folder may have a different name. In SAS Modact 3 or later or vp-modpack, it is called #SAS, in Dark Blue World it is called #DBW, in UP3 it is called #UP#, in BAT #JTW3 etc..

Read detailed explanations below:

OK, so you have a WORKING MODDED GAME already, and you want to easily add a new plane.

Step 1

Download the plane, and UNZIP the package.

IMPORTANT: Using unzip utilities from Windows do not always work. It may not unzip everything completely, and you wont even know. Use a good free unzipper like 7zip to unzip it.

Step 2
Look inside the package you just unzipped. There will be a folder that has to be placed inside your MODS folder.
Sometimes the modder will pack the download in a "mods" folder, to indicate to you where it must go. Dont put the "mods" folder inside your "mods" folder!! :D

The folder that contains the mod will have some "hashed" classfiles in it. They are those funny files with no extention, and names like "EDE76D64039F61DE" . Beside them may be a folder called "3do", which contains the 3d models.

You can name the folder that the mod is in anything you want. All that is important, is that you place it in your MODS folder at the right depth. It must be …IL2 Sturmovik 1946/MODS/TheNewPlaneFolder/3do

Like in this picture:

Step 3

Add the correct lines.
With every new plane you install, you will see the modder has given you some new lines to add to some files.
This is so that the game can "see" the mod.

There are 3 files concerned. they are
~ air.ini
~ weapons_ru.properties
~ plane_ru.properties

You can edit them with notepad or wordpad.

You can find them in your mods folder, either in the STD or in the XTD folder. You should have only one of each.

The two _ru.properties folders will be inside the i18n folder in one of the places I mentioned. Do a search for them if you cannot find them, and make shortcuts to them for yourself for next time you install a new plane.

But the realy IMPORTANT file, is the air.ini file. It will be in your mods folder, inside the STD folder, inside the com folder...
at this place:

…IL2 Sturmovik 1946\MODS\STD\com\maddox\il2\objects\air.ini

Air.ini is the only file you have to add lines to that is ESSENTIAL. The other two files are cosmetic. They only make changes to the way the plane is named for you in the game, or the weapons is named for you in the game. They are not realy needed , so we wont discuss them here except to say, just copy and past what you have to into them, the order does not matter.

Step 4

Adding the right lines to air.ini

As I said, this air.ini lines you must add are the only ones that are ESSENTIAL. Sometimes the line you have to add is in a readme inside the mod, sometimes it is in the thread where you downloaded it from.

Copy the line, and paste it into your air ini file, like this:

Take care WHERE you paste it, because that is where the plane will appear in your QMB and FMB list of planes. You can arrange these lists as you please. As I said, in the weapons_ru and plan_ry lists, the order does not matter, but in the air.ini, it will make a difference, but it is your choice where to paste it.

More info on that and the air.ini file here: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,23.0.html

Step 5

Check that you have the latest version of SAS Buttons installed. The buttons file contains the flightmodel data, and if your new plane's FM data is not in your buttons file, your game will crash after 60% loading.

You can find our buttons file, together with insatllation instructions here: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,97.0.html

Step 6

Making and Naming the skin folder

You can make a new folder in your skins folder for your new plane. Working out what to name that folder is easy, just see this thread : https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,983.0.html

if you did all that and your game crashes at 60%, go through the troubleshooter here :
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,22.0.html

If you have other problems, like soundloss, or other issues, try to search for the answer in our school and tech help forums. If you dont find the answers there, ask ! :)

Dinosbacsi

Re: How to instal a New Aircraft
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 05:59:37 AM »

"IL2 Sturmovik 1946\MODS\STD\com\maddox\il2\objects\air.ini"
I hadn't got these folders D:

SAS~CirX

• R.I.P.
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • No Zips, Only Buttons
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 08:03:09 AM »

have you ever installed any mod at all?

Dinosbacsi

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 12:59:52 PM »

Not yet ??? (I did in other games though, but...)

SAS~CirX

• R.I.P.
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • No Zips, Only Buttons
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 01:44:39 PM »

I assume you dont have any sort of modpack or modactivator either?

Dinosbacsi

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 12:59:54 AM »

Yeah...
I hasn't got "modpack"...
What is that? :o

SAS~CirX

• R.I.P.
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • No Zips, Only Buttons
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 04:19:30 AM »

flying scotsman

• Dvr Stewart No 6 Commando, also known as, Dad
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 03:59:46 AM »

:)Just a bit THANK YOU, I have read the tutorials, downloaded the a/c & fumed while 4.09 didnt work. I get lock ups that seem to be the Lanc & Halifax. So after multiple re-loads of 1l2-46(takes as long as the backup) I did without the Bombers with turrets. Since then no problems. Looking at the information here, it was probably trying to use FMB with the MODDED aircraft (well you just have to do take offs!!!  :D - I have had 2 years without the PC, man that was boring. But fixed now and glad I found your site and although I will never be a brilliant flyer.....man I do enjoy this game. My thanks to all who have built tested & taught.
But let us never forget those who we try to emulate, they did this for real, and withoug the ability to reset.
Happy flying
Dave Stewart

SAS~CirX

• R.I.P.
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • No Zips, Only Buttons
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 04:24:27 AM »

Hi Scotsman. Yes the FMB bug can be a bitch. But you can always use the "scramble" option in QMB. Also, you can use our QMB and Mission Pros by BenitoMuso, to switch planetypes on the fly when loading another mission. Many ways to skin the cat as they say :D

Maico

• Knight Knee Dragger
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 12:28:09 PM »

I am running HSFX4.1 but I dont have a MODS folder under C:\Program Files\Ubi soft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\  I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out where to drop the aircraft files.

Please help. 

Thanks

Maico

SAS~CirX

• R.I.P.
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • No Zips, Only Buttons
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 12:49:18 PM »

I am running HSFX4.1 but I dont have a MODS folder under C:\Program Files\Ubi soft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\  I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out where to drop the aircraft files.

Please help. 

Thanks

Maico

That is because the guys who recommended you use pure HSFX as a modpack were, frankly, more concerned with getting you NOT to use UP, than they were in giving you good advice.

But be that as it may, you may very well be a dedicated SEOW player after all, in which case HSFX is the pack for you. In that case, you can just make your own Mods folder in it to put the mods in, and you can search in the files folder in your HSFX instal for the appropriate files to edit or update.

Maico

• Knight Knee Dragger
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 02:37:11 AM »

Maybe your motto should be " I UPed my standard game so UP Yours"   ;D  :D ;) :)
Thanks for the clarification.  If I had the time, I would just install IL2 all over again and use UP.  As it is now, I am just trying to add a couple of new aircraft in the hour or so of gameplay I have per night. 
  Here is what happened, I tried to install the new S-199.  I added the required lines to the plane.ru and the air.ini.  I created a MODS folder and put the aircraft in it.  This Mods folder is in C/ubisoft/IL2 1946/MODS inside MODS is the S-199 folder.  The game fails at 60% (or 65%).   When I remove the lines from the plane.ru and air.ini files, the game runs no problems. 
  I have the New Mig-17(bitting my nails to fly it) but since it has no instructions, I dont even dare put it in play.
  Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks again for your support.

Maico
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 24 queries.