Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: Command and Control Mod v 1.11  (Read 102106 times)

Benno

• Retired Airline Pilot
Re: Ground Control Mod v 1.04
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2011, 03:10:41 AM »

SAS~Malone
Thanks for "turning on" my light ;D
Benno

slipper

• Modder
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2011, 02:07:32 PM »

Thanks for the reply CY6, i'll find what i can and post it here.

cheers mate

regards

slipper

p.s In the meantime theres a good site here that gives a great overall view of WW2 radar and countermeasures

http://www.vectorsite.net/ttwiz.html

Another one here that gives the ranges of German WW2 airborne sets

http://www.4reen.com/view/view.php?urllink=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nsarc.ca%2Fhf%2Fgerman_radar.pdf&searchx=Airborne%20Radar

finally one that gives a few free books for download

http://www.radarworld.org/books.html

Checkyersix

• Modder
  • Dr. Frankenplane
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2011, 04:47:58 PM »

Thanks slipper, these will be very useful ;)

Wad_Cutter

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2011, 05:58:22 PM »

A big thanks Cy6. This has all the ear marks of being a real aid. Installing now. I'll let you know. Thank you for the great idea. Oh hell yes!

slipper

• Modder
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2011, 05:20:59 AM »

Your welcome CY6,

Its the least i can do, i will dig out some more info when i get a bit more time.

Off the top of my head, i was thinking about the implementation of jammers, such as window,Mandrel, jostle etc. They either affected enemy radar directly, transmitted a noise over R/T channels, or gave a false reading. The outcome though would be the inability to detect the Bomber.

Fo the purpose of AI, Somehow the game recognises enemy and friendly aircraft, could enemy aircraft be made to appear as friendly or neutral whilst in the radius of a jamming aircraft (maybe for a random time), therefor the enemy would not 'detect' them as enemy and not attack.

just a thought.

cheers mate

p.s A good link for allied Air Intercept radar, with nice little gif's showing how the display worked

http://website.lineone.net/~norman.groom/index.htm

a couple of links for oboe blind bombing

http://www.radarpages.co.uk/mob/navaids/oboe/oboe1.htm

http://www.381st.org/Portals/19/old381st/stories_howland-geeh.html

slipper

• Modder
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2011, 05:45:37 AM »

CY6

Check pm please mate.

regards

slipper

Checkyersix

• Modder
  • Dr. Frankenplane
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2011, 06:01:32 PM »

I've been thinking about jammers too.

For direct interference ones I think something that had the RO say "chaff!" when within a certain radius of the object could simulate window. For other ones we could have "fake" GCI that send out periodic false messages with random bearing to target, but which look just like the real thing...

Changing how the AI reacts to other planes would be much more complex, and I think beyond the range of this kind of mod. I can make the player miserable with jammers, but the AI is harder to convince ;)

What I CAN do is set up tail warning radar or have the rear gunner shout "corkscrew right!" whenever a nightfighter is behind your bomber...

I've been thinking about OBOE too... in theory simple enough, the problem would be setting up a virtual 'bombsight' that could tell the player when to bomb and actually hit the target, taking into account range, altitude, airspeed, etc. I'd have to figure out how the AI does it and apply that to the object messages. If it works though we could also have a Knickebein and Shoran system...

slipper

• Modder
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2011, 06:26:34 AM »

Thanks for the update CY6

Sounds like you have most of the ideas thought out, looking forward to anything else you add to make the game more immersive.
I like the sound of all of your suggestions above, however with the tail warning radar (Monica), from reading various books it seems most crew did not pay a lot of attention to them or even switched them off. I believe that Monica was not able to differentiate between Enemy and Friendly aircraft and just gave a visual warning, red,amber or green depending on how close an aircraft was. In theory this sounds ideal, but in the middle of a several hundred plane Bomber stream, false alarms were common place.

Maybe if you made it so that it could not tell if plane was enemy or friendly?

For me overcoming the hurdle of the AI reacting to enemy plane would be the Holy Grail, as it would make the jamming aircraft really valuable and usefull, rather than having no effect at the moment, other than for player craft. Shame we can't all think of a way to simulate this.

The Oboe idea sounds great to, i wonder if Benitomuso's bombsight calculator might help out in anyway? As this calculates the angle at which to drop ordinance based on the planes height and speed, at any moment.

While we are on the subject do you have any ideas how H2S might be implemented?

Thanks again mate for your great work

take care

regards

slipper

Tomoholic

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2011, 07:29:39 PM »

This is a much needed mod. Thanks :)

I've found with the Spotter object, it only calls ships out when you are directly over them. Is this a bug or is it ment to be like that?

Checkyersix

• Modder
  • Dr. Frankenplane
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2011, 08:29:39 PM »

The spotter object has the same range for ships, vehicles, etc. I should probably increase the parameters for larger warships.

Comm Cody

• OBJECTION!
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2011, 11:31:32 PM »

I once heard of a story of the flying tigers. Two of their P-40s got a message to land immediately. But the message was a Japanese message and when they landed they got hit on the ground by 4 Japanese planes. Maybe you could put that in?

Checkyersix

• Modder
  • Dr. Frankenplane
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2011, 05:27:11 AM »

Not sure how that would work. You'd have to have valid "land now!" messages for the fake ones to work...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 26   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 23 queries.