Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: New Map - Ifni - Spanish Territory in Africa  (Read 36228 times)

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
New Map - Ifni - Spanish Territory in Africa
« on: December 23, 2010, 12:51:29 PM »

Here we are finally. Here is a download link for a map featuring the Spanish Territory of Ifni, along with surrounding Moroccan areas and small parts of the Canary Islands.

more screenshots can be found in this post:
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,10717.0.html

DOWNLOAD LINK
https://www.mediafire.com/?fvg0ag41akp36b7

This map is of a little known part of the world, the Spanish Territory of Ifni, situated on the west coast of Africa. It is now a part of Morocco. There are a number of links to the history of the area in the downloadlink, as well as youtube videos of newsreel footage showing operations in Ifni during the 1950's, when a 'Forgotten War' was fought against insurgents from Morocco by Spanish troops and air force units. Also included is a folder with old period photographs of Ifni and military operations. You may perhaps notice that Uufflakke used those photos to make templates of military camps, installtions and villages.

But aside from simulating this small and now almost forgotten war, the map should also prove interesting for alternative history scenarios. One can imagine colonial rivalry getting out hand, resulting in a war between Spain and France over control of the territory. This during the 1920's or 1930's prior to the Spanish Civil War. Or perhaps a conflict between Vichy France and Spain for the same reason. Or perhaps Spain attempted to gai control of Gibraltar during the early days of WWII and Great Britain retaliates with strikes against Ifni or the Canaries. Or perhaps Germany uses Ifni as a base of operations against Allied shipping ... in any case, there are enough possibilities for use.

The map was at first meant to be a quickie, something simple, but it somehow grew into a rather large map, with an actor's of 6mb. And though this is large as actors go, it still seems that the desert is virtually empty.

Sidi Ifni, or Ifni City is the only densely populated area on the map. It was populated entirely by Uufflakke and this following period photos and the actual satellite texture of the city itself. The other towns and villages were also done with templates by Uufflakke. Without his help with textures and especially with templates, it would have been a far poorer map.

As it is, Ifni is together with Hankow, the only maps that have really come out as I had imagined them to look. The terrain around Ifni is a sort of semi-desert with many hints of green.

The download also includes a folder of FMB missions that I made for use in testing the map. They have no particular rhyme nor reason and all kinds of aircraft are used, mainly fun fun. But they will help you get going quickly should you wish to try them out. Uufflakke will also release a set of QMB missions shortly for this map. The south-eastern area of the map, the part with circular looking mountain ridges, is particularly colorful and fun for dog fighting. It is also recommended to fly in the early morning and late afternoon.

We used all the texture slots on Ifni, there is not one left unused. That meant that there is only 1 airfield texture in use, at Sidi Ifni and Arrecife. All other airfields, which are fictitious by the way, are mainly emergency airfield types. Meaning that they can be used to land or take-off, have flat terrain and just a few objects to store fuel and supplies in. From the air they are indicated by T-shaped banners, making it a bit of a challenge to try and find them when flying. These are indicated by an airfield symbol on the FMB map. Only several emergency airfields have runway points, most are just flat fields.

Military encampments are indicated on the map by special symbol - a circular set of red small circles. Their location is mainly fictitious, but in probable locations near border crossings with roads or near major habitation.

Please check that you have all object packs installed. There are links to all mod packs used in the map, as well as links to Zuti's Friction Mod. These are all to be found in the downloaded file.

Many thanks to Uufflakke for his new objects and his wonderfully realistic templates.

Here is a link by Uufflakke for QMB missions for this map.
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,12158.0.html

Mick

• Modder
Re: New Map - Ifni - Spanish Territory in Africa
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 01:07:54 PM »

Thanks a lot Agracier, now we "only" need a good fictitious campaign ...  :P

Baco

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 01:26:59 PM »

Nice, And you can use as an excuse for The rebirth of the International Brigade and as Franco began his civil war from there, The New Republic (we could summon Obi Wan Kenobi and Yoda for this) could be formed there and try to take over the Canarias, with help from their firends Mikoyan and Gurevich... And Of course Franco could get some Sabres and Hunters (when available) to combat comunism right at Europe´s back door he?

RealDarko

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 02:15:06 PM »

Thanks my friend!! A really apreciatted map for all the spanish members! I'm sure other members will love it as well. Hope there's a Buchon to use on it soon

dsawan

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 04:19:05 PM »

Hi, i did like the readme said and installed all ground objects. The map loads up fine. However, when I clcik fly after placign my units, it does not go to the briefing sceen like the default maps do. You click fly or play and nothing happens. Even after you save the file, it does it. But I usually fly when I am i FMB. Any ideas here?

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 04:44:07 PM »

Hi, i did like the readme said and installed all ground objects. The map loads up fine. However, when I clcik fly after placign my units, it does not go to the briefing sceen like the default maps do. You click fly or play and nothing happens. Even after you save the file, it does it. But I usually fly when I am i FMB. Any ideas here?

You are probably missing some objects. If you don't have all the objects installed that are used in the map itself, then you will be able to load the map fine, but you will not be able to save and fly in the map.

In the download there are txt files that give you links to all the objects used in the map - make sure these are all installed. You can use the Universal Static.ini Checker to see which objects are missing from your install.

There is a link to the Univ. Static. Checker in the notes as well.

This map uses almost every type of object you can think of. Many of these objects are not standard in any of the UP or HSFX packs, since they are often newer. You will have to manually install them. But as said, there are links to all of these objects. It's best to take your time and go through these object packs to determine what you are missing.

Installing them will help you with subsequent maps to come as well ...

Badmuthafunker

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 06:47:14 PM »

Thanks for another beautiful piece of work ag.  :)

Ectoflyer

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 06:51:54 PM »

Ag, really thank you for the map  :) and also for making me to discover the forgotten war of Ifni. (I didn't know the "Guerra Olvidada" of 1957 -1958)
All the aircrafts mainly used in that colonial war are in game: He-111, Ju-52(for paratroopers), C-47, T6 texan, Bf109, helicopter H19, and even the CR-32, going to be dismissed at that time !
Only thing we could need is an AA light artillery playable, so we could play also the rebel side... 8)

Triad773

• Triad's website
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 11:07:46 PM »

Wow great- I just installed the Friction Mod (thanks to SAS~Malone ;) )

I have been looking forward to this map and will enjoy it at first opportunity.

Thank you and Happy Holidays to all involved!

Triad

Riptide_One

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 01:19:06 AM »

agracier and Uufflakke,

Thanks for another great map and for some ready made missions. The period pictures were also a welcomed introduction to this place I've never heard of before. Once again, you have enriched the IL-2 experience with another beautiful place to fly.

Cheers,

Riptide

RealDarko

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 03:00:47 AM »

and even the CR-32, going to be dismissed at that time !

Where did you found that info?

Ectoflyer

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 03:34:59 AM »

and even the CR-32, going to be dismissed at that time !

Where did you found that info?

I searched on Wikipedia "Ifni war" and there was a link to a document about Spanish Air Force in the war of Sidi Ifni:
http://www.ahistcon.org/docs/murcia/contenido/pdf/02/marcelino_sempere_domenech_taller02.pdf
but now, reading better (my spanish is so rusty ::)  ) it should say that they were just dismissed... :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.