Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spad Training - HistoMod in-game footage  (Read 3296 times)

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
Spad Training - HistoMod in-game footage
« on: November 14, 2010, 03:39:14 AM »

HistoMod In-Game Demo Video: SPAD Training Mission

Magic Carpet Ride - SteppenWolf

HistoMod advanced engine start procedure, taxi, take-off, gunnery test, & landing.

For all the modders of the SAS, UltraPack and HistoMod Teams.  You rock, dudes.  8)

Peace out brothers!
KB

Rock

• Aviator Mod Team
  • Modder
  • Aviator modding
    • Axis and Allies Paintworks
Re: Spad Training - HistoMod in-game footage
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 05:04:39 AM »

Great stuff KB, love it!

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 05:34:35 PM »

Great looking video mate! That looks good, I like the song too! Congrats!

BTW, what settings do you have for your water effects?

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

5./JG54_s0crazty

• http://roen911.deviantart.com/gallery/
  • A Greek in the cockpit.Better run!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 05:38:46 PM »

Very nice KiwiBiggles :D

Can i ask what map was that?

Dark Apostle

• SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 06:39:53 PM »

S~ KB, nice vid matey. How in depth is the Spad in The Histmod mission wise?

congo

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 06:56:36 AM »

The only thing that is out of sequence is the mag activation, on most large engined aircraft you spool up the powerplant first and while its spinning you then activate the magnetos. That way if there is any raw gas laying in the exhaust manifold because of the amount of prime, you lessen the chances of a large intake,backfire or engine fire. But still a neat video none the less. Most pilots will count from six to nine blades before throwing the mag switch. Sometimes on certain aircraft the mixture is left in Idle Cutoff also and as soon as the powerplant fires on the prime the pilot will place it at auto rich or full rich as this lessens the chances of flooding the powerplant. Other reasons for the delayed mag are also to ensure that even though the powerplant was rotated by hand to check for hydraulic lock, if any oil flowed back into the intake and even though the starter develops beaucoup torque there is less of a chance of pushing a cylinder off the case or destroying a piston which could happen if the operator did not count blades during startup. If it does happen though the powerplant will still need work to check for bent rods and such and the mechanic will probably heve to remove sparkplugs to free it up. Oil for the most part is a non compressible fluid. The reason the powerplant develops hydraulic lock when it sits static is for another time.

congo

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 11:29:03 AM »

Cool info Congo.  Next time I play HistoMod I'll try spooling the engine first before flicking the mags - hopefully it will work in the sim too. 

The HistoMod exhaust flame effect is pretty cool too - but unfortunately it didn't show in the vid.  From the cockpit view there is a really nice transparent/glowing ebbing flame effect, and it seems to last a bit longer than other engine exhaust flame effects I've seen in the sim - funnily enough when I first saw it, it actually made me think of raw fuel burning in the manifolds at the time.

Thanx for watching and commenting Congo! :)

Cheers
KB

Another thing to check in the sim would be to see if there is a mag drop between one and two. Thats another check that pilots verify during their runup. They also normally cycle the prop a few times as part of the runup. All of these things are done after the oil temp comes up. The prop cycling verifies rpm drop and puts nice heated oil up in the prop dome. most will check mixture operation also. most ac will indicate somewhere around a 75 to 100 rpm drop between the two mags.

congo

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 01:47:52 PM »

You might find this interesting, There is a preflight checklist there in section 3, I dont think you can copy anything but it is definitely worth reading some parts. This will give you a good idea of what a USN Technical Order looks like. Used by both maintenance folks and pilots alike, depending on what dash # is. And they probably have several T.O.s for the R-3350 also.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Om6SRzgGhBgC&pg=SA1-PA12&lpg=SA1-PA12&dq=proper+magneto+drop+for+Skyraider&source=bl&ots=-rDGJJGFdQ&sig=mCL7gF182llJzfosjxxpX-fbtEI&hl=en&ei=K-DmTOi2F8GblgfhxuzDCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

congo

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 02:16:04 PM »

Cool info Congo.  Next time I play HistoMod I'll try spooling the engine first before flicking the mags - hopefully it will work in the sim too. 

The HistoMod exhaust flame effect is pretty cool too - but unfortunately it didn't show in the vid.  From the cockpit view there is a really nice transparent/glowing ebbing flame effect, and it seems to last a bit longer than other engine exhaust flame effects I've seen in the sim - funnily enough when I first saw it, it actually made me think of raw fuel burning in the manifolds at the time.

Thanx for watching and commenting Congo! :)

Cheers
KB

I checked if you could spin up motor and then activate mags and it is not possible, it seems that the mag switches are just an on/off switch for the prop animation at startup. Give it a try by stopping the engine with the mag switch but keep it depressed once it stops try using your normal key for startup on my system I use I for ignition. It will not work until you reactivate the mag. In real life these are two distinctly different functions in the aircraft.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 28 queries.