Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help with RGB values for water...  (Read 7473 times)

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
Need help with RGB values for water...
« on: September 16, 2009, 03:09:53 AM »

Hi guys/gals/Caster's  :D
Ive been playing with getting a nice 'rice fields/paddies' effect, and am making some good progress.
I've found the best effect can be got by doing some intricate map_c work.
I've been trying to get a nice muddy brown water effect by playing with the RGB values in the load, but so far I've got almost every color except what I'm looking for.
I'm sure I'll find it eventually, but if anyone knows what a good RGB value would be for getting this muddy brown water effect, I'd really appreciate if they could share that info with me.
Another map question, as I'm bound to post with this at some point, is how does one go about getting water to display at different elevations?
Thanks in advance for any assistance... 8)
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

SAS~highlander_262

• Aviator Mod Team
Re: Need help with RGB values for water...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 03:33:34 AM »

Don't know if it will be of any use but the Earth Brown colour I use for skinning is 123 105 78

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 04:18:35 AM »

Another map question, as I'm bound to post with this at some point, is how does one go about getting water to display at different elevations?
Thanks in advance for any assistance... 8)

Can't help with the water colors I'm afraid, but getting water to display at different altitudes is fairly simple.

While sea-level water is normally RGB value 0 on the map_h, when you create lakes or rivers at higher altitudes DO NOT make them rgb 0 in map_h. Simply make sure that the areas that are eventually to be covered by water all have the same rgb value, whatever that may be, depending on elevation.

With lakes it's fairly simple of course. Make sure the water of the lake, only covers a same value rgb area, preferably with a bit of a smaller margin for safety's sake.

With rivers it can be a bit trickier as they generally drop in height as they flow downhill towards the sea or wherever. For that, make sure the rgb values on map_h are as unvaried as possible along the river tract. You can always soften the riverbed course in map_h, using a soften tool, set to a rather high level.

What you must however do to get all water to show up is to first of all, make sure all water is shown on your 'my_mapc.tga' . This is a large sized map and is used as base for generating map_c and the mapc_table. So you will first of all make sure ALL water, rivers, lakes, etc are shown in rgb 0 (black) on my_map.tga. Don't forget to blur all black several times after you have finished placing or modifying water covered areas. If you have added just a bit of black here or there, use a hand soften tool on those specific areas, instead of doing a general blur of the whole map.

Then run it through the mapc toolbox utility and afterwards run the coast align tool as well with my_mapC.tga and with your adapted map_h.

Then you have to have all water, once again all seas, rivers, lakes, ponds, swimming pools or whatever, as rgb value 31 on map_t.tga. If you make your map_t as a layered psd file at first, with each rgb layer getting a separate layer assigned, then it is easiest if you put a water layer rgb 31 all the way at the top of the layers.

Later, you of course flatten map_t.psd into a single layered map_t.tga and the water should show up nicely on top of all other types of terrain. To make sure that all maps mesh nicely, you therefore have to take care that the water layer from map_t, aligns pixel perfectly with the areas meant for water in map_h.tga, but which are not necessarily rgb value0.

It's a bit tricky at first, but the simple rule to remember is that while sea-level water is usually rgb0 on map_h, you should not use rgb0 for water anywhere else on map_h (unless you wish to create canyons or deep river valleys - then you can use rgb0 for rivers on map_h, but be sure to soften the surrounding terrain along the riverbanks to a width of several pixels or more at least. But perhaps canyons and sunken level lakes are not of immediate concern).

And also remember, when you make any changes to your waterways, be sure my_mapC, map_h and map_t are all altered accordingly in synch and then run mapC toolbox and coast align again. A bother, but it helps get good results.

Hope this was not too ramshackle. If so, feel free to ask more. I've been doing some extensive waterways work on an Iraq map (of all areas) and picked up a few points along the way.

SAS~Malone

• Editor
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 04:29:12 AM »

Thanks highlander, agracier.  ;D
Not ramshackle at all, mate, all much needed info. Appreciated.  8)

SAS~Bombsaway

• Choose your battles wisely.
  • SAS Team
  • A day without laughter is a day wasted
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 05:26:09 AM »

Schatten and I have been working on this for a while. I sent him the texture and here is the RGB values he sent me for the "muddy" water.
R: 120
G: 095
B: 073

R: 158
G: 132
B: 117

R: 149
G: 110
B: 081

R: 157
G: 116
B: 088

R: 131
G: 103
B: 078

Hopefully you can can get it. Its been driving me crazy. Schatten too i'm sure. ;D
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

SAS~Malone

• Editor
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 05:37:22 AM »

Thanks Bombs, I'll try those.
I'll post some screens in your rice paddies thread soon.  :D

viking4570

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 09:57:19 AM »

try 255 255 0

it's pure yellow but in the game looks muddy yellow brown.  I used it in a SE Asia map I made for realdarko a while back.

-viking

Schatten

• My Muddled Screenshots
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 12:43:03 PM »

Yeah well for me "crazy" is a really short drive so yeah I guess you could say that. :D :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 26 queries.