Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Sikorsky HRS3 & H19D version 1.05  (Read 131289 times)

F22-Raptor-2006

• Aviator Mod Team
  • SAS Honourable Member
    • Aviator Mod Team
Re: Sikorsky HRS-3
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 01:35:56 PM »

Ah okay now I get it, that's perfectly possible with the heli, just not quite as stable as the helicopter in that video but that's basically what I did earlier... I do it every time I land... it's like the way you land a helicopter lol Just didn't finish it like 1 meter above the ground...

One bug, also on the F-84. I don't know why but your open canopy things always seem to be like a massive extension of time where nothing happens :S the complete movement takes around 5 or more seconds but the actual animation is 1 second...? Some value must be wrong here.

EoW_Drew

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 01:37:05 PM »

SAS is the best for making my day, just got halfway through my first week at highschool as a senior, and what do ya know, helis for IL2 now beta test version.... This soo deserves a donation to SAS.... Best of hopes for the Bell 47/UH-1 Huey projects...

F22-Raptor-2006

• Aviator Mod Team
  • SAS Honourable Member
    • Aviator Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 01:38:06 PM »

This is one bumpy ride! Hopefully the final release won't be like that. Outstanding work, guys! It likes to shake a lot, and that "auto stability" thing won't let me bank my helicopter even a little bit...

You can bank and let it fly sideways quite easily with some practice. The auto stability thing means that it will be like that. You can't do anything about it so learn to fly it like that! lol Give it a few days and you'll be absolutely fine, as long as you have an accurate joystick. Any dodgy joysticks will have a hard time from stopping the helicopter wobbling unrealisticly.

Flakiten

• SAS Honourable Member
    • Grupo Aeronaval Embarcado Virtual
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 01:39:27 PM »

Some value must be wrong here.

Yeap, but I cant solve it since F84 :P

F22-Raptor-2006

• Aviator Mod Team
  • SAS Honourable Member
    • Aviator Mod Team
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 01:43:13 PM »

lol, should be a simple value that's just gone wrong :S I can't think of what it could be though... cos normally the animation is timed to a certain length of time. However it seems to think that you move this bit, and then you move something else that is invisible that it doesn't know about XD

I'll have a look at the class files for you and see if I see anything notably odd.

SAS~Sani

• Shredder
  • SAS Team
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 01:51:37 PM »

Near the ground (100/50 ft agl) you begin the flare manouver to stop descent, reduce speed and gain rotor RMP. You can hold the flare until your speed aproachs to zero, then level the helicopter and make a fast hoover landing using the rotor RPM to stop descent (like a IGE hoover engine fail). This (full stop flare manouver) its used in small or light helicopters. I never flow a S-55 so can´t tell if needs a small run or not.

S!

Bell can do that :)..although on needs to be very careful with throttle control ;)

Flakiten

• SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 02:36:58 PM »

are the uninflated floats available all the time or is there a version just with the main wheels only?
Yes...the HO4S but you have to wait.

btw...  i flew in a version (years ago) that had actual metal type 'tank' floats on it's struts (with i think skids or runners on the bottom of those tank floats for landing on ground.)  such a model possible?
Is Possible, but I have to do other models.

Flakiten, you red out or nearly red out when you fly forwards for a long time at near max speed of the helicopter.
Yes I know. that's why I asked Killer Ghost how fast he was flying.
S!

Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
  • I'm French and Rebel_409! Nobody is perfect!
    • Some tinkering here
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 03:49:15 PM »

J'adore les hélicoptères !
Bravo ! Formidable ! ... One giant leap for IL-2 !  :D
Thank you very much !  :) :) :)

- engine overheating occurs rapidly (85% around).
- Red Sail 200 km/h around
- self-rotation works very well!  :D

- la surchauffe moteur intervient rapidement (85% environ).
- voile rouge à 200 km/h environ
- l'auto-rotation fonctionne très bien !
If your results do not live up to your expectations, tell yourself that the great oak was once an acorn too. - Lao Zi -

RGA

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 04:30:14 PM »

A quick review for heli-newbie (well, I'm myself a newbie, too and honestly, it's also the first time I "fly" a helicopter. So if you experts know something else, feel free to correct.)

First impression: The Sikorsky looks clumsy, heavy and somewhat unstable. Just compare it with the legendary UH-1, it's way more elegant. And before you try: there's no prop pitch setting and no trim. Tried to open the side door but failed to close it :)) It's really amusing to see how the blades react to your stick. Tried to activate the floats, remembered that there's no way back, but the floats don't seem to cause much drag.

Take off: take off is quite smooth, just start the engine and push the throttle to about 50% and you're airbone. Very much like the Lerche, that bird climbs quite fast. Just a note: the torque is significant. I've always thought that the torque in a helicopter should be minimal. Fact is, I rotated an almost full circle because I could bring the bird under control. Curiously, the helicopter seems to fly backward and aside after the take off. Don't look like the movies I saw. Perhaps it's a game limitation, or just I've done something wrong. No idea :P

Landing: Tried to land it in the "Lerche's way": stop at about 500ft, slowly reduce the power and watch the altitude carefully. Wreaked the landing gears twice, perhaps this bird doesn't have strong legs as the lerche. Landing on water is somewhat easier. The floats work nicely.

Handling: the first try was terrible, this bird shaked a lot, rotated a lot and when you go too fast, that's the end: engine overheat, engine inoperable, pilot killed, misson failed :))

Conclusion after a few "reflies": fly a fixed wing aircraft and fly a helicopter is completely different. Helicopter (well, at least this bird) doesn't like speed and acceleration, it loves smoothnees. A few "lessons":
- Don't try to push the throttle way to high up, the optimal range is about from 40% to 60%, with about 10% tolerance. At about 50%, the helicopter will stay in the air.
- Don't fly too fast, watch the speedometer closely (that's the reason why it's located in the place which is easiest to see). No idea which unit (my guess: MPH x 10), but don't go above 10. Optimal speed shoud be between 4 and 6.
- Use rudder to counter the torque. Don't bother "step on the ball" (well, it didn't work with me).
- If you want to speed up, push the stick foward. To slow down, pull the stick.
- If you want to go high up, increase the throttle. To descend, decrease the throttle.
(Well, that's the most confusing part. After 7 years of "flying", I always use throttle to control speed and stick to control altitude)
After learning all of those tricks, flying is now way easier and very enjoying. Fly low and slow between the factories, make a U-turn in just a few seconds, flying and landing backward, that you are virtually "catched up" by your ground dust (well, I guess it's another game limitation),... there are something that only helicopter can do.

Damage test: I always dreaming about a helicopter campaign like of the US air cavalry in Vietnam. So I did some damage test. 20mm or above should be the end to any helicopter, but I really hoped that bird can substain some small fire. 3 tests were made: with 7,62mm (from SdKzf whatever, I forgot the number :P, from DShK AA and .50AA and from Flak 38). Results: the Sikorsky can eat about 20 hits from 7,62 caliber, just 4 hits from 12,7 caliber and only 2 hits from 20mm caliber. The outcome was always the same: mid-air explosion. Pilot doesn't seem to have much protection. One hit from a 7,62mm machine gun and you're heavily wounded.

A few bugs I found:
- A side door bug: I can't close it.
- From outside view, in normal and gunsight view, if you rotate to see the helicopter from behind, you can see through the tail.
- Rotor blade: if you look up from the cockpit, you'll notice a space between the blades and the ceiling of the cockpit.
- Torque: don't know if it's a bug or not, but I must use much rudder to counter the torque.
- [IMPORTANT]: fly against a 12,7mm machine gun nest. Right after its tracers flying toward you, the aircraft disappear in the outside view. In the cockpit view, the rotor blades disapper too.
- Mid-air explosion: IMHO, it would be more logical if you receive more engine failed, fuel tank leaked, pilot wounded than sudden death. And 4 12,7mm rounds to down a helicopter, I've never expected that the Sikorsky is so vulnerable. BTW, the damage modell seems to be quite primitive: no bending blades when they strike the ground, no cockpit damage (at least I've never seen it. Too few tests I guess), no parts that can be shot off, no control loss, no FM punishment when damaged (again, never seen)...
- Load-out: not really a bug, but may you please consider adding more loadout like cargo that can be drop to besieged troops.

Last but not least, thanks a lot for your magnificient work.

Flakiten

• SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 04:38:56 PM »

Don´t forget this

S!

SAS~GJE52

• Editor
  • Orchard Studios
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 05:39:25 PM »

As always with the things you do Flak .. another fantastic new model, and Sani's FM is a real innovation.

This FM is really good - after struggling with flying the Bell 47 with the original FM in development, this is a whole step up in "flyability".  I know I have had some "practice" already - but I jumped in and flew this one straight away. This is so much easier to put down on a set spot, carrier landings are great fun now (and survivable  ;) )...  :D  I also love the head-out & co-pilot options and the cockpit detail is spot on.

All I can say is .... brilliant and thanks guys ;)

G

Do not criticise a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes...  Then you can call him what you like, as you have his shoes ... and he is a mile away......

Flakiten

• SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 06:44:24 PM »

this thing's a beauty. but i wonder why do the engine overheat even after shutting off the engine? you cant go any faster than about 250 other wise instant overheat, then again, it's just a WIP can't wait for teh final

How do you think is the normal speed for a helicopter?

Specifications (H-19)
Performance
Maximum speed: 101 mph (163 km/h)

S!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 23   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 26 queries.