Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New type of clouds.  (Read 595 times)

LOOdNO

• http://www.youtube.com/LOOdNO
New type of clouds.
« on: November 15, 2023, 11:49:24 PM »

Oleg Molva made for me new 3D object. Cloud. I think it is wonderful! But there some problems... it doesnot give shadow, it is transparent for sun and sometimes it becomes invisible (as I understand when you dont look to the geometrical point of this object). But in most cases it is possible to enjoy nice views! My reccomendation how to use: open FMB and place this objects with pitch 10km by axes x and y. Grid 10km. Hope somebody will help and make it better!

Dawnlat zip folder: https://disk.yandex.ru/d/WTK6mqCeiXEluw

ansons

Re: New type of clouds.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 06:28:59 AM »

Hi, 

Nice overcast clouds !
What are the lines to add to the static.ini file ? There is no instructions in the .zip file to install this mod...
Best regards

LOOdNO

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 07:10:33 AM »

[buildings.House$Oblako]
Title           Oblako
MeshLive        3do/Oblako/mono.sim
MeshDead
IgnoreShadowData
Body            RockMiddle
Panzer          0.30

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 07:55:13 AM »

I've just added this to my game...

(1) Make a mod folder having a path like this:

#WAW3/Oblako/3do/Oblako/

(2) In that last folder (Oblako) go the 4 files you've just downloaded.

(3)In static.ini, add the following:

//===========================================================================
[***]
Title Oblako
//===========================================================================

[buildings.House$Oblako]
Title           Oblako
MeshLive        3do/Oblako/mono.sim
MeshDead
IgnoreShadowData
Body            RockMiddle
Panzer          0.30

NOTES: This object is an infinitely thin, flat square having side lengths of 40km. The thinness means that you will instantly transition from below to above, and vice versa, when passing through it.

Because the game has a distance draw limit rather smaller than this 40km side length, when placing this object you should put down as many as needed to cover the area of operations, and about 10km apart. This will assure that there will be no gaps in the coverage as you fly across the map. The draw limit means that this object would be better to use in conditions of lower visibility, such as "Poor".

It might be wise to use the configurable distance mod, which allows to apply, via a conf.ini entry in the [Mods] sectin, a draw distance limit for various objects. This object is treated like a building. Although it has a far draw distance value in the texture's .mat file, altering the relevant limit used by World.class (which the distance mod does) could be good in that it should increase the distance at which an individual object disappears (and is replaced by the overlapping object already drawn due to the 10km grid spacing.)

The ground base hook is set at 400m, meaning that each individual object will sit at 400m AGL for the point on the ground under the center of the object. On sloping or irregular terrain, each object will have a different height above sea level, or the lowest map elevation. If you would like this cloud to sit at a different height above ground/sea, in Body.msh alter

1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 -400

to, say

1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 -700

in order to have the cloud placed at 700m AGL.

One could make up a whole new object, identical in every other respect except this one particular ground hook value, by which to create a set that sit at different heights. In the mod folder each new object would have its own, e.g.,

mono400m, Body400m.msh
mono600m, Body600m.msh
mono800m, Body800m.msh

Then static.ini could have, e.g.,

[buildings.House$Oblako400m]
[buildings.House$Oblako600m]
[buildings.House$Oblako800m]

each with the relevant properties as given above.

I note an odd, transparent layer near the ground, which is probably the shadow, or related to it. On undulating ground there are areas which lie below this, resulting in areas of 'shading' and areas of none. I'll try deleting the shadow vertices/faces to see if this fixes that.

I'm already wondering if a smaller version or two, having an irregular shape instead of square, might be worth experimenting with. These could be used where there are existing clumps of cumulus clouds in good weather, or scattered about under heavier cloud conditions.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 08:58:45 AM »

After some testing, including trying different sized objects (40km, 20km and 10km on a side), I'm becoming less enthused. For one thing, the same problem as occurs for full airfield plates plagues this object. But the much larger size only makes the issue so much more prominent. And that is, once the view direction puts the center of a particular object past the edge of the field of view, the object is no longer drawn. But when there remains a considerable extent of the object still within the field, its winking out as glaringly apparent. If the adjacent object has its center within the field of view, where it overlaps will result in a 'jump' in appearance unless the two objects are essentially identical in the overlap area. But this will not be so unless the texture has terribly repetitious tiling; otherwise they can never be the same when offset. And this is exacerbated when the terrain irregularity has adjacent objects differing in height above seal level.

This winking on and off involves changes in the vertical view angle as well. When looking past a certain angle from horizontal, when the center of the object goes outside the upper or power screen edge it disappears.

There are too many hurdles to overcome for such a scheme as this to succeed for such large objects. Unless someone knows of a means by which to keep an object drawn no matter where it lies outside the field of view (as long as within the permitted draw distance limit, of course.)
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

LOOdNO

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2023, 10:00:15 AM »

Thank you for detailed aswer!
My translator translate
[buildings.House$Oblako400m]
as:
buildings.House price 400 million dollars   :-| ;D ;D ;D

It might be wise to use the configurable distance mod,

Do you know it? I think there was something...

There are too many hurdles to overcome for such a scheme
    ::( ::( ::(

It is unpleasant to hear but it is truth....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 24 queries.