Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linebacker '72  (Read 2622 times)

Vampire_pilot

Linebacker '72
« on: October 08, 2021, 10:06:41 AM »

This is probably not for autopilot jocks, this is for flyers.

14 missions for a B-52 over Vietnam, April to December 1972. You will fly a B-52D with 307th Strategic Wing from U-Tapao, Thailand on Geschrirrschpülmaschine19's reworked big Vietnam map.

Do you want long flights at night in poor weather?
Do you like to operate an ass load of engines as you negotiate your way in for a blind landing?
Then this is your campaign :)

I've been tinkering with this for almost a year now, but I can't get it any better so here it is :)

A few words on particulars of the missions.

U-Tapao has a blind landing beacon and an LSO, who will only come on at very short distance!
Make clever use of the altitude and heading autopilot options as you home in on the radar marker. That last bit to line up properly feels way too short most of the time.
I recommend to play it with way points and player icon to ON! The B-52 has sophisticated nav equipment and you have a capable navigator with you. You are supposed to know where you are and where you are going at all times! This is not seat-of-your-pants flying guesswork, this requires some calm hand and precise flying to actually hit anything! (and to find back again)  ;)

There are SMAs and there are countermeasures, controlled by a spawn chance percentage. So you may actually have SAMs incoming in some missions, maybe you never become a target.... maybe you can hear others who had less luck over the radio.

There will be a jeep sitting in front of your plane for about a minute until it drives away. Don't run over it. It forces you to wait a bit, since you can start engines up much faster than the AI buddies behind you and if you take off too fast, they can't follow you....

I found building these kinds of missions definitely different and interesting. Enjoy!

D/L
https://www.mediafire.com/file/r3b2fqmouy7kefp/Linebacker72.zip/file

suggested reading:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35514328-fly-fight-win

by SAS~JackS

Gubi

• Flying Ass Clown #34
  • Modder
  • RIP
Re: Linebacker '72
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 01:41:05 PM »

Cheers VP.  Building "relatively realistic" missions is my desire too. Will look at this.  Prost.
I am a moron.

taminzahid

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 09:11:22 AM »

now this is a pickle....flying a heavy bomber is the same as flying a bus, so do i need two type of flight stick? there's no way a bomber can be flown with the single yoke flight system....

Witchy

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 02:59:50 PM »

If only these b52's had all the working stations modeled that the old classic game, Megafortress had (which is still a great game and very payable in dosbox.)
Just a girl who loves to fly.

oilburner

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2024, 07:05:03 AM »

I"m enjoying the missions so far (I've done the first one) but I have no clue how "OBOE" works? I've looked through documentation and according to readme there should be a countdown or something? I just dropped blind on the first mission but I have a feeling I'm missing something or should be doing something different in regards to being on target. Can anybody point me in the right direction in regards to OBOE and how it works in BAT?

EDIT - OK I figured it out...basically as long as you are on waypoint/course there will be a countdown in the map screen ... briefing says release bombs when it reaches "2" so that's it..real simple.

Witchy

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2024, 01:24:35 PM »

now this is a pickle....flying a heavy bomber is the same as flying a bus, so do i need two type of flight stick? there's no way a bomber can be flown with the single yoke flight system....

Actually you can fly with a stick, its the same principal as using a yoke. While its not historically accurate to the plane it works very well and there is no problem. Same can be done for the P-38. Its too much of a hassle for most people to switch out a stick they use most and plug in a Yoke to fly just one aircraft.
The  airbus airliners use side sticks like an F-16. Its no big deal.
Just a girl who loves to fly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 24 queries.