Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying a New PC - IL-2 1946 Install Question  (Read 633 times)

Barkhorn1x

Buying a New PC - IL-2 1946 Install Question
« on: July 01, 2020, 05:49:48 AM »

So, I'm finally buying a new rig.

My questions are;

- What is the least amount of stuff I need to install from a disc as I plan to port the rest of the content over from the old PC?
- Just the base Il2-1946 content?
- Anything I should know about W10?  (My current rig is running W7.)

Thanks in advance.

Kelso

Re: Buying a New PC - IL-2 1946 Install Question
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 07:38:49 AM »

You don't have to reinstall the game itself - just transfer the game directory to the new computer. The same with mods.

Barkhorn1x

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 07:59:47 AM »

You don't have to reinstall the game itself - just transfer the game directory to the new computer. The same with mods.

So, no need to worry about Registry entries?

sniperton

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 08:25:08 AM »

No worry. Just copy  ;)

Barkhorn1x

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 09:29:29 AM »

No worry. Just copy  ;)

Excellent!!!

Thanks guys.

larschance

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 02:23:36 PM »

Hi Barkhorn. I have run Il2 1946 in 5 versions on Windows 10 since it came out and had no problems.
If you want to fly the Il2 BoX series too make sure you have a CPU with at least 3.5Hz  and screen 144HZ refresh rate.
I had seen mixed messages re which Nvidia Graphics cards to use. It seems the 2080RTX is best if you can afford it. Prices may be coming down as the 2090 card will be out later.
You can copy the files from one pc to another with no problem. I keep my copies on an external drive, updated monthly as back ups.

Barkhorn1x

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 03:21:10 PM »

Hi Barkhorn. I have run Il2 1946 in 5 versions on Windows 10 since it came out and had no problems.
If you want to fly the Il2 BoX series too make sure you have a CPU with at least 3.5Hz  and screen 144HZ refresh rate.
I had seen mixed messages re which Nvidia Graphics cards to use. It seems the 2080RTX is best if you can afford it. Prices may be coming down as the 2090 card will be out later.
You can copy the files from one pc to another with no problem. I keep my copies on an external drive, updated monthly as back ups.

The card will be a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super.  But, truth be known, I like Il2 1946 BAT much better than Il2 BoX so I will be good here.

larschance

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 05:19:20 AM »

Card 2070 is good. It appears the 2060 series created problems for a few players but all our computers are different so who knows.
I agree with you that BAT is currently better than BoX as it is more immersive and has a wider range of objects and theatres for offline play.
I bought BoX but cant get it to work even after two downloads - something about missing a compiler. BAT is so much more straight forward thanks to the care taken by the modders with trouble-free downloads.

Barkhorn1x

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 07:00:29 AM »

I agree with you that BAT is currently better than BoX as it is more immersive and has a wider range of objects and theatres for offline play.

8) 8) 8)

Koi

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 11:06:16 AM »

I suggest that you consider putting your BAT game onto an external drive.  Then it can easily be transferred to any machine, new or old, .( I have 2), a windows 7 as a back up  and a windows 10. Just plug and play. The price has dropped considerably on these external drives a 1TB or 2TB portable Hard drive  can be found for around $25. and even the large capacity back up drives are not too expensive and can hold all of the BAT game easily . It is a lot easier the having to do a new DL install of the game or a copy paste on new machines.
  I play the game directly off  my external large capacity 6TB Drive and there is no lag and the Desktop short cut finds it easily.  One of and you will be buying another one in a few years. Our coop group plays his off a large capacity  USB drive 128 Gb and has no problems with play either. When there is a new patch released or update I just direct the DL to the external and it  update no problem.

Barkhorn1x

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 12:40:35 PM »

I suggest that you consider putting your BAT game onto an external drive.  Then it can easily be transferred to any machine, new or old, .( I have 2), a windows 7 as a back up  and a windows 10. Just plug and play. The price has dropped considerably on these external drives a 1TB or 2TB portable Hard drive  can be found for around $25. and even the large capacity back up drives are not too expensive and can hold all of the BAT game easily . It is a lot easier the having to do a new DL install of the game or a copy paste on new machines.
  I play the game directly off  my external large capacity 6TB Drive and there is no lag and the Desktop short cut finds it easily.  One of and you will be buying another one in a few years. Our coop group plays his off a large capacity  USB drive 128 Gb and has no problems with play either. When there is a new patch released or update I just direct the DL to the external and it  update no problem.

I have a 2TB external drive.  And I am in the midst of copying ALL games/sims I play over to this drive in advance of the decommissioning of my old box. So "great minds..." and all that.

DESPEREAUX

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2020, 05:13:30 AM »

I have long been BAT on a regular home-made external drive from a 110GB laptop :D
Everything works great.
The main thing that would be "USB" 3.0 .. :)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 26 queries.