Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Purchasing BOS via Steam or Direct  (Read 360 times)

SGT68

Purchasing BOS via Steam or Direct
« on: June 29, 2020, 11:38:22 AM »

Seems a good time to purchase BOS + its various dlc packs right now as a sale is on... Both Steam and il2sturmovik.com pricings are about the same.
Is there any difference to the game whether I purchase via Steam or Direct?  . What is the conventional wisdom on this?
"A day without slaughter is like a day without sunshine" ..Marcus Kincaid

Forager

Re: Purchasing BOS via Steam or Direct
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 12:04:01 PM »

Buy direct, the developer gets more money when you do.

SGT68

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 12:14:48 PM »

Buy direct, the developer gets more money when you do.

Will the revenue gained by the developer make any difference to my game installation? That's the question I asked. I dont give a damn about game industry politics. But thanks for your reply

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Failure is not an option.
    • What goes around comes around, you'll see
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 12:26:14 PM »

Direct install usually causes less issues as you don't need to have steam running in parallel.
Other than that, functionality wise both versions are identical, you can even have a mixed steam and direct purchase, like I have for instance.
While love lives, while suns set, while snowmoons rise in november skies, while ties bind, while souls cry, while oceans ride in an endless tide, while love grows, while blood flows, while truth is real you need never feel alone.
In loving memory of times when I cared.

[FAC]Ghost129er

• Modder
  • SAS Certified Nuisance
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 12:30:13 PM »

Steam has a bunch of bloatware (not really bloatware? but like for my potato with only 8Gb RAM maybe) crap like Steam Overlay, Steam network helper, and other kinds of crap like that.

If you have other Steam games/a Steam account and stuff (I have a fuck ton of Steam games/inventory) so for me I thought it was the best way to go) but the down side was a bit of RAM and memory, which could have been spared for the game, was lost into Steam.

Fortunately, our 1337 SAS~Storebror made FUMS - which helped eliminate that problem for me (wasn't a problem) but could be for people with shitty PCs. If you got a decent rig capable of handling it, I mean, go whichever route you want.

I like my Steam Badges, stats and it's something I use, hence, why I went for Steam. Otherwise, installation wise, not really. Directories are more or less the same (Will be in Steam Game library folder [eg mine is -disk letter here-\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad]) and I have JSGME on and it's pretty much just perfect. What can I say.

Your choice. Hope it answers what you asked ("Will the revenue gained by the developer make any difference to my game installation?")
No, it won't.

But take it from the hardware/specs thing I was saying. That's something that should be considered.
Used to be chat banned, will be again at some point.

SGT68

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 02:57:35 PM »

Direct install usually causes less issues as you don't need to have steam running in parallel.
Other than that, functionality wise both versions are identical, you can even have a mixed steam and direct purchase, like I have for instance.

thank you Mike, you confirmed what i thought about having more processes running than i absolutely need with Steam. My ocd issues however forbid me to have a mixed install, so I will go purely direct. The upcoming Battle of Normandy looks very exciting. I hope a Typhoon is involved

SGT68

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 03:01:41 PM »

Steam has a bunch of bloatware (not really bloatware? but like for my potato with only 8Gb RAM maybe) crap like Steam Overlay, Steam network helper, and other kinds of crap like that.

If you have other Steam games/a Steam account and stuff (I have a fuck ton of Steam games/inventory) so for me I thought it was the best way to go) but the down side was a bit of RAM and memory, which could have been spared for the game, was lost into Steam.

Fortunately, our 1337 SAS~Storebror made FUMS - which helped eliminate that problem for me (wasn't a problem) but could be for people with shitty PCs. If you got a decent rig capable of handling it, I mean, go whichever route you want.

I like my Steam Badges, stats and it's something I use, hence, why I went for Steam. Otherwise, installation wise, not really. Directories are more or less the same (Will be in Steam Game library folder [eg mine is -disk letter here-\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad]) and I have JSGME on and it's pretty much just perfect. What can I say.

Your choice. Hope it answers what you asked ("Will the revenue gained by the developer make any difference to my game installation?")
No, it won't.

But take it from the hardware/specs thing I was saying. That's something that should be considered.

thank you Ghost

sgt.wingspan

• New normal
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 06:55:37 PM »

SGT68                 Steam is useful in Asian countries where the buying currency is not in $ but in the countries own national currency [like baht, peso, etc.] using steam wallet. Direct buying is not that way and no way I for instance can purchase. Frankly I am not fond of steam. There are issues infact my account was hacked before. Direct buying is good if possibly you can. Hope this answers. ::(
Flight sim fan.

SGT68

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 02:54:16 AM »

Many thanks to everyone for their advice.

BOStalingrad
BOMoscow
BOKuban
BOBodenplatte

Premium editions with Collectors Aircraft

all for 99 usd Direct from il2sturmovik.com... seems to good to miss

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Failure is not an option.
    • What goes around comes around, you'll see
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 03:33:55 AM »

Welcome to the club.
If you enable mods (it's an ingame setting) you can see our "Flying Ass Clowns" Server in the multiplayer section where we meet together on evenings randomly, and on weekends regularly.

]cheers[
Mike
While love lives, while suns set, while snowmoons rise in november skies, while ties bind, while souls cry, while oceans ride in an endless tide, while love grows, while blood flows, while truth is real you need never feel alone.
In loving memory of times when I cared.

SGT68

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 10:40:27 PM »

Welcome to the club.
If you enable mods (it's an ingame setting) you can see our "Flying Ass Clowns" Server in the multiplayer section where we meet together on evenings randomly, and on weekends regularly.

]cheers[
Mike

thanks for this
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 27 queries.