Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Passing of an American hero  (Read 359 times)

Flanker27

Passing of an American hero
« on: May 23, 2020, 10:06:34 PM »

Sad news from my part of the world today, none of you knew him but were connected in a way, my friend and fellow civil war reenactor Bob Bucky passed away. The man was an Air Force Colonel that flew F-4 phantoms during Vietnam, he was a survivor of tongue and throat cancer and at 84 was running around with us young guys on the re-enactment battlefields then would drink us under the table around the campfire. He drove the 67 mustang his wife got him for Christmas a few years ago like he stole it, and whenever we started dumping lamp oil on the camp fire would be the only person still sitting in his chair, when asked if he was worried about getting burnt his reply was this “I dropped napalm, this is nothing, your all a bunch of pussies”

Fresco23

• Part-Time Skinner
  • Modder
  • F.A.C. #23
Re: Passing of an American hero
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 10:08:42 PM »

Sorry to hear that news Flanker.  :( Sounds like a great guy.
cogito, ergo sum armatus

BlackAce7727

• (F.A.C No.77)
  • Skinner
  • Spitfire connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 12:34:43 AM »

Blue skies Flanker... I'm so sorry....  :(
Let The Victor, Be Justice.

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
    • Old stuff about RB3D and a tiny "IL2 corner"
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 01:31:36 AM »

I wonder why when an American dies he is always a "hero". Who did he drop his napalm on during the Vietnam War? Maybe this little girl should be asked:

@edit by Admin (yep, me!): Tasteless picture removed from this tasteless post. Holy fucking something... ::)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

BlackAce7727

• (F.A.C No.77)
  • Skinner
  • Spitfire connoisseur
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 02:03:27 AM »

A bit up front that grey... but granted I can see where you're coming from... the thing is it's down to teachings that make them the enemy and us the heroes etc... I don't want to say too much because I don't want to get banned as I respect this site too much...  :-X
Let The Victor, Be Justice.

Kilo

• Hold my beer!
  • Modder
    • Sqn. 71 fighter-bombing Silver Wings
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 03:46:46 AM »

I wonder why when an American dies he is always a "hero". Who did he drop his napalm on during the Vietnam War? Maybe this little girl should be asked:

Fun fact: The pilot who dropped napalm during that event was Vietnamese.

This is war. Normal people being sent to fight each other with gruesome weapons. We are a community that deals with simulating combat, so I guess we should be aware of its murkiness.

My condolences to Bob's family and friends.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Failure is not an option.
    • What goes around comes around, you'll see
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 06:13:04 AM »

What's wrong with you greybeard?
The pilots in that war, quite like any other soldier in any fucking war, just fulfilled their fucking duty.
For fucks sake, or that of their fatherland, or fucking politics behind it - it doesn't make no fucking difference for a poor soldier who just has to do the fucking job.

And if you, as a soldier, do your fucking job really good with really great success, then you end up as a hero.
And no fucking man/woman/child who got killed while you fulfilled your fucking duty will ever be asked whether he/she agrees to that.
Never ever, not gonna happen.

Next time someone comes along taking a snipe at such a hero who just passed away, in a thread started by a friend of such, I'll do my fucking duty and swing something.
For now, I'm just fucking done with it, and fucking sad about the passing of this friend of Flanker, and hero.
Fuck!

]cheers[
Mike
While love lives, while suns set, while snowmoons rise in november skies, while ties bind, while souls cry, while oceans ride in an endless tide, while love grows, while blood flows, while truth is real you need never feel alone.
In loving memory of times when I cared.

Flanker27

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 06:22:10 AM »

Thanks mike, I was pretty much thinking the same thing when I saw that post but was too nice to say anything about it

bomberkiller

• Treffen sich zwei Jäger...!
  • Modder
  • Bf-109G-6/R6 = Bomber Killer
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 06:27:13 AM »

Mike,

wanted to note something similar here, but had expected your answer.

So I can save my comment.  ;)

Flanker, my condolences to you.

]cheers[

Gerhard
FAC N° 9 ...cheers mein Schatz

SAS~CirX

• Editor
  • No Zips, Only Buttons
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 07:36:29 AM »

What's wrong with you greybeard?
The pilots in that war, quite like any other soldier in any fucking war, just fulfilled their fucking duty.
For fucks sake, or that of their fatherland, or fucking politics behind it - it doesn't make no fucking difference for a poor soldier who just has to do the fucking job.

And if you, as a soldier, do your fucking job really good with really great success, then you end up as a hero.
And no fucking man/woman/child who got killed while you fulfilled your fucking duty will ever be asked whether he/she agrees to that.
Never ever, not gonna happen.

Next time someone comes along taking a snipe at such a hero who just passed away, in a thread started by a friend of such, I'll do my fucking duty and swing something.
For now, I'm just fucking done with it, and fucking sad about the passing of this friend of Flanker, and hero.
Fuck!

]cheers[
Mike

What Mike said.

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
    • UberDemon's Website
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 11:53:19 PM »

Sorry Flanker, I do mean it.

I have worked with many veterans.  They all have their stories.  One in particular was also an F-4 flier, and he had the craziest stories.  I worked with him, who I shall call "Fred" (not even close to his name, but hey...), from 2009-2013.

So to diffuse things and think of funnier things, this particular veteran, "Fred",  was a WSO in the F-4, and in between tours in Vietnam him and his pilot were doing training missions off the West Coast of the US.  Well, one day they took a flight headed West over water.  The pilot was tired and asked Fred if he wanted to take over and fly.  Fred was happy to oblige.  It so happens that Fred was more tired than he thought, so he fell asleep for about 15-20 minutes.  When he woke up they were flying very close to the water, something like 50-100ft over the water, at about 80% throttle (details escape me, but he was close to the water and flying fast).  After a "WHOAH!!!!", he tried to wake up the pilot who was in deep sleep as he turned the Phantom around to the East.  They made it back to a base on the West Coast (can't remember if he told me which).  They landed.  The pilot told the crew chief they were on a special training mission and requested refueling.  The crew chief reported that they were way under their emergency fuel levels and that he had to note that on his logs.  (As most of us know, that is a huge no no...)

Well, they gave him a B.S. story about their "special" training mission and that he better refuel the plane because of the consequences...  Well the young enlisted Crew Chief obliged, since a couple of Captains were ordering him to do it.  Not saying it was right, but that is what they did.  Fred laughed a lot during this story, which he told me a handful of times.

Fred told me only one story from Vietnam, and he never repeated it.  It involved a lot of Flak and some of their mates being shot down.  His depiction of what it felt like was not fun at all.  One thing I noticed was that he was very lively in the beginning of the story and progressively be became more and more somber towards the end of the story.   

Hell of a thing war is and what it does to a human being.  Unless you've done it yourself, it probably is a good idea to measure your opinions about it.  Just saying it.
Best Regards, UberDemon/danzigzag, Get UQMG at http://www.uberdemon.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 27 queries.