Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Quarantined Modder  (Read 5364 times)

cbradbury

Re: Quarantined Modder
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 04:49:41 PM »

The other thing to consider is something new for a while. Can I recommend ‘Orbiter’?

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Free, with fairly limited intrinsic content, but a large number of add-ons and mods to cover most RL space vehicles and many fictional ones. It is a bit of a learning curve, particularly orbital mechanics, (which might be just what you need), and personally I would recommend the 2010 version as many of the old add-ons do not work in the 2016 version. Installing add-ons can be a bit of a challenge, too. JGSME is your friend.

I love the sim, but have not touched it for many months, spending most of my time with BAT. However I have recently returned to it for a change. Given that we seem to be of a certain age (ahem!) you could cast your minds back to the 1960s. Over the next few weeks I plan to fly Mercury (both sub-orbital and orbital), followed by all the Gemini missions, then the whole Apollo program. That should keep me quiet and good for a while!

Also, back to il2. I may as well take advantage of your input and experience whilst you are not modding or skinning. I have been recently turning my mind to how to make civilian cargo/airline missions more interesting. We now have a good range of airliners, especially in TGA, with some great skins, too.

Now the obvious route is to compile ‘adventure’ type campaigns such as the brilliant Chance Hardman.  However I am thinking more along the lines of single missions where you can just hop into the airliner of your choice and fly a challenging session of 40 minutes or so. All ideas welcome.

Stay safe.

Yours,

Clive

Knochenlutscher

• Flying Ass Clown #10
  • Modder
  • aka Segfej
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 08:13:57 PM »

Take care of you, you're a reknown Modder Personality here.
find your way of balance between work (modding) and fun (playing your hobby).
I'm not good at emotions, sorry,

Best wishes
Tobias
Wiseman : "Did you speak the exact words?" Ash : "Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah."

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 11:41:04 PM »

Can I recommend ‘Orbiter’?
Looks interesting.
Especially the chance to learn a bit C++ alongside creating plugins sounds like a great deal for those who want to get into that dinosaur of programming languages.

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

SAS~Skylla

• SAS Team
  • Flying Ass Clown N°24
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2020, 01:00:42 AM »

Can I recommend ‘Orbiter’?

Very interesting indeed. I will have a look at this one, many thanks!
When all else fails: read the instructions!

cbradbury

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 02:39:27 AM »

If you do take my advice and use the older version of the sim it is not immediately obvious where to find that download. Go to:

https://www.orbithangar.com/

Click on the 'orbiter download' button on the left, then scroll down to find the older versions - '2010-P1' is the one with most add-ons available and the version I use. The latest version has better land graphics, but nowhere near the vehicle content.

Shessi

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2020, 06:30:42 AM »

''BUT NO FOOTBALL, AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH, driving me Fucking crazy, they are not even putting old matches on the TV or radio, at least that would help some for this dedicated arm chair sportsman.''

Totally agree with you there MB...double AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!...thousands of hours of footie in the archives and bastards won't show anything. FA Cup finals from 1980's, even lower league League play off finals, Goal of the Month, World Cup finals.....just something for F"CK sake!!

Anyway, keeping well and sane(ish) in the depths of das bunker...

Shessi

p.s wibble!

vegetarian

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2020, 08:17:06 AM »

I hear you all! Where I am (Sydney, Aus) we have just been put into lock down mode until the end of June. Possibly a bit of an overreaction, it feels like a 90 day house arrest sentence (although the Govt has thoughtfully exempted homeless people from the requirement to stay at home!). I had to celebrate my grandson's first birthday via FaceTime, and looks like the family will have to do the same for my birthday! At least I can still get out and exercise. I spend at least an hour a day walking / jogging in the local parks as the exercise and open air is important to help manage my health issues (unfortunately I'm in the "at risk' category as well). I would go completely stir crazy if that option was denied. Going to pump up the tyres on my bike and give that a go as well.

Its funny about the lack of motivation to play the game. I have various installations of IL2-1946, all BoX Great Battle series, CLoD and DCS - and I haven't felt inspired to play any of them for months. First we had the terrible bushfires, and now COVID-19. Its been a pretty depressing time of late, hard to feel motivated to do anything in the face of such existential crises. Decided I'm going to spend some time on self improvement  ;) - just started to teach myself Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop, and I plan to scan decades of slides (remember those!) onto the computer. Lots of great tutorials out there on the internet.

Anyway, everyone look after yourselves and your loved ones, and keep your spirits up. Just remember that it will pass, and its important that we all are still  standing when it does.

Cheers,
Vego

Zflyer48

• Modder
  • There is no failure in doing; only in not trying.
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2020, 08:19:40 AM »

I have "You Tubed"  American football on Sunday to make it feel normal. Week nights I do hockey and baseball. Trouble is, if you
know the outcome, it hasn't the same effect as real time.
Then, there are the re-runs of "Combat", "McHale's Navy", "Rat Patrol" and "12 O'Clock High".
I have turned into a "Desk Jockey".

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2020, 11:42:27 AM »

I started BBC Wings tv series a week ago, I'll continue with another british tv show about The BoB, called Piece of Cake after that Baa Baa Black Sheep.

Wings is available here in 480p, not great but watchable, lots of ww1 B.E.2 action:

I watched this not long ago, russian tv series about the Night Witches, the female night bomber regiment who flew the Po-2:

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2020, 11:44:54 AM »

vonofterdingen

• Missioneer
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2020, 01:20:06 PM »

Night Swallows looks fantastic. Piece of Cake is a wonderful series also.

David Prosser

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2020, 02:43:21 AM »

Sounds like a plan. I'm busy reinstalling BAT. Will release a new campaign soon. Am working on others. It's good being able to work from home.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 24 queries.