Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: About markings on airplanes...  (Read 271 times)

Torenico

About markings on airplanes...
« on: March 24, 2020, 07:22:31 PM »

Hello, so first I want to say THANK YOU to the massive collection of modders who made this RIDICULOUSLY AMAZING super-mod, I'm completely overwhelmed by the HUGE amount of content we now have... and considering that I haven't played for 5 years! It totally feels like a different game. You magnificent bastards have done it FOR FREE, what else can I say about that!

My question is relatively simple, some modded aircraft do not show national markings, squadron number of squadron insignias on them. Examples are many, but say I want for some weird reason a Vultee V1A with USSR markings, but I can't have it because markings will not show up on the airplane!

Is it possible to make them show up? Can I do it myself? I understand you guys are aware of this and that you don't want to direct resources to "fix" this "problem", but is there any way I can do it by myself? Also I don't want to ask for too many things, considering the ridiculous amount of stuff we got and I feel wrong about this, but is it possible to get at least a single "generic" skin for these aircraft whose default skin already has squadron numbers and national markings? I mean, I have absolutely no idea how to do any of these two things, but I can learn... if you point me in the right direction!

Anyways, thanks in advance. Stay safe!

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
Re: About markings on airplanes...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 08:52:21 PM »

Showing markings / numbers / insignias needs prepared functional "special named" polygon meshes on external 3d models.

When 3D modeler / modder haven't made them on external 3D model, there are no markings / numbers function and no way to add them by players instead of baking those pictures on user custom skins.

Torenico

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 10:29:00 PM »

Showing markings / numbers / insignias needs prepared functional "special named" polygon meshes on external 3d models.

When 3D modeler / modder haven't made them on external 3D model, there are no markings / numbers function and no way to add them by players instead of baking those pictures on user custom skins.

Thank you for your answer!

A shame! but I understand. Then I will have to learn how to make very simple skins for some of the aircraft I'm interested in, free time is all I have now  ;D

Flying H

• "And you can fly, high as a kite if you want to..
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 08:19:41 AM »

There is a utility called MatManager that may be useful in this case. The last iteration of it is v2.36 from 2007 but it´s useful still today (i´m using it whithout problems) but I don´t know (haven´t thought of) if it can be used for the Vultee. I also don´t know if it´s possible to find on the net anymore but a google will soon give you an answer.
And you can fly, high as a kite, if you want to.........

Knochenlutscher

• "Klaatu... verata... n... Necktie. Nectar. Nickel. Noodle."
  • Modder
  • aka Segfej
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 10:24:24 AM »

MatManager uses exactly the function described by western.
If a plane lacks it, MatMan will not plant it.

He can find on Mission4Today

Yupp, that's how I got into Skinning too. welcome.

Edit: Leave self fiddling in that case, follow Vamp, he knows it's good or not.
Don't test, as it's intrusive, you will go with a ON Cache and bloat your Install to unrecovery.
Wiseman: Did you speak the exact words? Ash: Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah.

SAS~vampire_pilot

• SAS Team
  • The man of a million fixes
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 10:31:11 AM »

MAT manager is absolutely not helping with skins that do not come with a markings option.

In fact, if you install Mat manager into BAT and not know what to do and how to uninstall it again, you can mess up the whole markings setup for almost everything else without getting what he actually wanted in the first place.

He needs marked skins, like western said.

Flying H

• "And you can fly, high as a kite if you want to..
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 05:38:13 PM »

Ok, sorry for that. I was unawre of the trouble it can cause, I have used it for "ages" but not had any problems but as you point out, I know how to use it. Please do not use my advice and get into problems!
And you can fly, high as a kite, if you want to.........

Torenico

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 08:24:45 PM »

All good, I haven't even touched it yet!

Will take a look to get into skinning, some basic generic skins + markings for certain airplanes will do just fine, nothing spectacular!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 27 queries.