Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A scene from the Time Machine (1960) which has boggled my mind for years....  (Read 757 times)

BlackAce7727

• Skinner (F.A.C No.77)
  • Skinner
  • Let The Victor, Be Justice.

Morning all aces and friends,  8)

Now for something very different, this in particular comes from one of my all time favourite movies from the Sci-Fi world...

Halfway through the film the time traveler stops in 1966, and the threat of nuclear weapons is very real in this one... people running into shelters and going into hiding, with the classic Carters Air Raid siren going off and so on... with this in hand George is a bit puzzled as to why this has happened, however Filby (The chap in the silver radiation suit) is in a constant state of worry as he tries to convince George to go into the shelters...

With Filby disappearing into the shelter there's a huge atomic explosion and all the normal reactions happen and everything is destroyed that Mankind has known for centuries... then we cut to the next scene which I still believe to this day would be impossible to occur but apparently this ''Atomic Satellite'' (Seeing it briefly as it flies towards it's target) causes a geological surge and a volcano to rise in the middle of London... yes London, and as far as I checked we don't have anything of the sort in this country.. we have one volcano but she's extinct in Scotland...  :-X

The question also begs how much power would you need to make this happen?! I mean come on I know atomic weapons are powerful but no where near enough strength to break through the earths crust of tectonic plates with molten rock underneath to make this planet stable..  :-|

Here is the scene in all it's glory from 1960.. I'd like your opinions as well as what you guys think about this! Enjoy!  ;D

SAS~GJE52

• SAS Team

I love the bit where the car tyres are half submerged in lava ... but do not catch fire ......  :P. That close to the epicentre theTime Traveller would have been little more than a crispy noodle .....  :D

We have had a few minor earth tremors in the South West. Dartmoor itself is what remains of several large prehistoric volcanos. However to answer your question, the Caldera that sits in the middle of Yellowstone park is like an over inflated balloon and a large nuclear explosion could possibly act like a pin prick. With a similar outcome ..... If that does erupt it could trigger an extinction event on the scale of the one that saw off the majority of the Dinosaurs.

...... thanks for giving me something else to worry about ....  :D :D :D

G;

"The darkest places in Hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis"  The Divine Comedy. Dante Alighieri 1265-1321

BalDaddy

• Old Scroat

I recall that the 'lava' was dyed red porridge, that is why the cars didn't ignite!

I don't think even the Tsar Bomba at full 100 megaton yield would cause such a trauma to the earth's crust, especially as these weapons are designed to air-burst at an altitude of 4km causing maximum surface destruction possible. Even so the 50MT test produced a seismic body wave magnitude estimated at 5.0–5.25.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Failure is not an option.
    • What goes around comes around, you'll see

the 'lava' was dyed red porridge
That's even more scary than real lava!

]cheers[
Mike
While love lives, while suns set, while snowmoons rise in november skies, while ties bind, while souls cry, while oceans ride in an endless tide, while love grows, while blood flows, while truth is real you need never feel alone.
In loving memory of times when I cared.

SAS~GJE52

• SAS Team

The "best" nuclear weapons do not generate a huge shock wave. They simply irradiate and "remove" the humans but leave the infrastructure intact. However the residual radiation makes it unusable for many generations... but the "cultural heritage" is preserved for posterity .

Biological/chemical is the most cost effective solution. It is "cheap" to produce and easy to deploy ( eg Novichok in Salisbury ) In fact it is the WMD we all still fear the most.

Anyway ...... no porridge for me (red or otherwise) ,  the sun is shinning here, my cup of "English breakfast tea" is hot, I have enough orange juice, bread and jam for breakfast and I am sharing my self isolation with you guys ..... so all is well with the world.

G;
"The darkest places in Hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis"  The Divine Comedy. Dante Alighieri 1265-1321

BlackAce7727

• Skinner (F.A.C No.77)
  • Skinner

Thankyou gents for your input...

This scene will forever boggle my mind no doubt until my end of days... I'm so surprised still as to how an airborne weapon like that can cause so much damage let alone cause lava to come up to the surface... still it is Sci-Fi we're dealing with here, but I must admit this scene is entertaining and does make my friends jump when I click my fingers when the bomb goes off lol  ;D

Gaston

• Modder

Well... we have to consider this is not a modern movie, with CGI and so on... personnally, I really like these old movies, even if sometimes, they are "dated" !

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron

I can't comment on the geological aspects but I certainly agree it's a great movie for it's time (and I would argue better than the remake).
On the subject of remakes, I would also say that the 'original' War of the Worlds (1953) is a helluva lot better than the Tom Cruise version (which was just bad IMHO).

Gaston

• Modder

tomoose... as we say in French : je plussoie !

Flanker27

I think they figured that a nuke dropped on a volcano might make it erupt but it would be one hell of a nuke, one that would trigger a nuclear winter more then likely volcano or not

BlackAce7727

• Skinner (F.A.C No.77)
  • Skinner

That's my effective diagnosis of the scene Flank, because the amount of mega tonnage needed would be incredible, and this is London we're talking about here... :-|

Shessi

''A scene from the Time Machine (1960) which has boggled my mind for years....''

I think that was the idea to shock people seeing the film, imagine watching that in 1960, with the nuclear threat then...and THEN the events in 1962...what the horrors of a nuclear attack would do (even though in reality it couldn't actually trigger a volcanic erruption)!  o_O

Have to agree, that the original The TM and WotW were much better films than the remakes.

Shessi
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 27 queries.