Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW PC  (Read 2034 times)

Gwalch

NEW PC
« on: January 15, 2020, 09:44:19 AM »

2020 and Widows 7 is winding down!
I am thinking of buying a new ready made gaming pc. I could never build my own.
Do any of you have any ideas as to where I might start? Makes, specs and so on. There are so many combinations of things that confuse me totally.
I have made a search of various forums but can't find anything relevant. Please move to appropriate place if there is one.
Thank you.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
Re: NEW PC
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 10:22:40 AM »

Something along the lines of this one would fit any IL-2 version (1946, CloD, Great Battles):
https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/VR-Ready-Deal-RTX-2070

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Flanker27

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 10:25:33 AM »

i would say it depends on if your looking for a laptop or desk top, for laptops i recommend the Acer predator series, desktops tend to have many more options then a laptop however. i would steer clear of alienware computers as they are now owned by dell and are cheaply made 

Gwalch

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 10:39:00 AM »

Thank you both so much.
Am looking for a desk top pc so the link by storebror might well do it.

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 11:56:16 AM »

Check out the latest builds from this list, this should help at least with what brands to use and how to put it together:

Your choices make should be based on the games you wanna run and the resolution/refersh rate of your screen..my current choice would be an Asus 1440p 144hz monitor with IPS panel (avoid monitors with TN panel).

You also have to make a decision about the form factor of the pc (ATX, MicroATX, and Mini-ITX) and choose between Intel and Amd processors (this list should help: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html ). A Ryzen 5 3600 with a MSI B450 TOMAHAWK motherboard would be a good choice imho.

For storage you have to choose between nvme m.2 ssd and older sata ssd, this article should help: https://www.velocitymicro.com/blog/nvme-vs-m-2-vs-sata-whats-the-difference/ My choice would be a Samsung 960 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD 512GB or a Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500GB. I'd would not use the old style mechanical harddrives.

Power supply & graphics card: the best one you can afford.
Here you can put your build together and it will show the power draw of the pc:
https://pcpartpicker.com/

You should also check out their builds:
https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 11:57:19 AM »

posted the wrong youtube link, here's the builds list
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRnHcRQUxuocMOhzyiCeLhxvpDfXB1G72

Gwalch

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 12:53:27 PM »

Thank you vpmedia.
For you and many here putting one together is easy enough I would think. Must even be part of the gaming experience.
For me it would be like walking through a minefield blind folded.
However, I will study your links, and who knows, I might even see the light!
Also you have now got me thinking about monitors. Oh dear, oh dear...............

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 10:56:38 PM »

The good thing about monitors is that you don't necessarily need to upgrade them together with your PC.
You only need to consider the technology you are going to use in future.
If you buy an AMD graphics card (or a PC with one), you are bound to "normal" or FreeSync gaming monitors.
If you bay an Nvidia graphics card (or a PC with one), you are bound to "normal" or GSync gaming monitors mostly, with a chosen set of "compatible" FreeSync monitors which would work so-so.

Nvidia Graphics cards tend to have considerably more "bang" than AMD cards in gaming, but GSync monitors are quite expensive compared to FreeSync ones (albeit they've got slightly better specs and wider frame sync ranges too).

A Ryzen 5 3600 with a MSI B450 TOMAHAWK motherboard would be a good choice imho.
IMHO any AMD CPU is a bad choice for gaming.
The newest Ryzens might score reasonably in synthetic benchmarks, but they suck balls in real life environments when it comes to gaming still.
Same for single thread performance, which is the most important thing for IL-2 (including CloD and Great Battles).
See e.g. https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-9600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600/4031vs4040

Intel CPUs are much more tolerant to overclocking too.
My i5-9600K runs primestable on 4.8 GHz (instead of stock 3.7 GHz) without any gongs and tinsel. I've lowered it to 4.6 GHz only to have some safety margin. No voltage adjusted, no fancy cooling, just raising the multiplier on all cores, period.
The utmost you can usually squeeze out of Ryzen 5 3000 series CPUs is 4.2 GHz (instead of stock 3.6 GHz) but you will need a massive cooler, raise the voltage and keep your fingers crossed all times. Without such measures, you're stuck at below 4 GHz.

TL;DR: AMD sucks balls for gaming. Don't buy it.

]cheers[
Mike

Stainless

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 03:22:00 AM »

IMHO any AMD CPU is a bad choice for gaming.

Totally agree.

I have sat in my office a machine built by a swedish idiot with a very expensive AMD cpu. He decided it was brilliant because it has "hyper-threading".

Runs half the speed of my basic i5 in real world applications.

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 03:43:55 AM »

everyone can see the huge difference in gaming benchmarks :)

Flanker27

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 06:18:37 AM »

i think the AMD vs Intel debate is as old as time to be honest, iv personally never been an AMD fan they tend to heat up a lot more and just dont run as smoothly

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 06:57:34 AM »

There's people who hate Intel for various reasons (e.g. because they hate anything that's top notch, see... some even hate SAS lol :D ) and then there's people who think AMD was the best because they just bought one.
If that floats your/their boat: Fine with me.

However when you start to drag others into the same mess, it's time to put things straight.
With a cold hard look at facts, AMD just sucks in gaming, period.

]cheers[
Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 24 queries.