Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: BAT Will not update past 3.5  (Read 470 times)

HansCrotchfelt

BAT Will not update past 3.5
« on: November 07, 2019, 11:40:58 AM »

Hi All!

I'm moderately experienced with IL-2 modding/tweaking (have been doing so since 2001) but right now I have an issue that has left me completely perplexed! I know it says that all posts have to be about the current version, but I hope you'll excuse me as my problem is that I cant get there! Here's every step of my process:

-Installed GOG IL-2, Downgraded from 4.13.1 to 4.12.2 as required with the patch file
-Downloaded and installed BAT
-Configured conf.ini and bat DLLS
-Downloaded and installed parts 1-5

I make sure sure each time before an install a bat expansion that I:
- Un-tick read only on the IL-2 root folder and let it process (to prevent the access denied error at the end of installing a bat expansion)
- Make sure all mods are OFF in JGSME
- Run the installer as ADMIN
- Make sure the folder pointed to is my IL-2 BAT folder for install
- Test a new plane and a new map included in each expansion in FMB after each patch to make sure all is working

Now, here's the issue. When I installed 3.6 "The Blitz" expansion, it installed normally. Installer log was completely normal, no errors whatsoever, but when I start up the game it still says "BAT 3.5" on the loading splash screen. I tested new content (canaries map and avro manchester, both included in 3.6) but I get an instant CTD when I do so, even though the canaries map appears in FMB and I can view the Avro Manchester in QMB. Terrain is instant crash at 0-10% (as thats when terrain loads) and aircraft either crashes at 30% or loads invisible with a free camera in the middle of the sea.

After 3 installs of 3.6 and no joy (inbetween PC restarts etc) I installed 3.7 over the top, but the loading screen is still stuck on 3.5.

Has anyone encountered this before? As I said, my installer logs are normal, and I don't think sending my PC specs over is going to help the install issue here. That said, if any logs are needed for double checking just let me know and I'll upload them ASAP.

Or should I just do a total re-install? (It will take a while, but I saved all of the installer files!)

Thanks very much for any replies!

SAS~vampire_pilot

• SAS Team
  • The man of a million fixes
Re: BAT Will not update past 3.5
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 11:57:19 AM »

what is your BAT install path?
please post the install logs for 3.6 for starters

HansCrotchfelt

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 02:54:27 PM »

Hi Vampire Pilot!

Firstly, thank you for the incredible amount of work you have put into BAT to make it what it is today!

Secondly, thanks for clarifying which log I needed to post :)

Here's my install path: "C:\GOG Games\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\" (this path worked just fine up until 3.6, in case that's of any relevance to you)

Here's my 3.6 install log (It was too long for paste bin, so I put it on google drive and got a shareable link... it should work) -- I've PM'd it to you as I wasn't allowed to post a link here!

Thanks again, and please let me know if you need anything else, or if there are any problems with the link!

HansCrotchfelt

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 05:47:59 PM »

Guys I'm really confused how I'm meant to send a pastebin or google docs on here when it says "Sorry I can't post external links?"

EDIT:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xJVzY1X9m52q6GFVp5Q_tRzS8utzb-o3/view

SAS~vampire_pilot

• SAS Team
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 10:04:45 PM »

you are allowed to after 5 posts

can you post a screenshot of the contents of your BAT03B folder?

HansCrotchfelt

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 06:44:49 AM »

Here it is, thank you!

It appears file 11 and 12 are missing!

SAS~vampire_pilot

• SAS Team
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 05:39:10 AM »

whoa...

okay, you need to install again. You have a messed up installation, sorry.

1. There are files missing
2. the files are wrongly named (that means you missed out at least one crucial exe installer which did the proper renaming: BAT 3.4)

Could it be that you didn't install BAT 3.4 at all?

HansCrotchfelt

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 06:02:57 AM »

It is definitely a possibility, however I am 95% sure I did install it.

I do have another theory - when I installed 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 I just straight up installed them.

When I installed 3.3 I encountered an "access denied" error at the end of the install, so I went to my root folder, went to properties and unticked "read only" and let it process.

It then let me install. Do you think this could be a result of me installing the first three expansions without realizing that I was meant to make sure the root folder was not read only?

If this IS the problem (and you're the man of a million fixes, which is why I'm asking) do you think it would be beneficial to post somewhere that the root folder should have read only unticked so others don't encounter this problem (if it's the cause!)

Anyway, thanks for all of your help, (glad I kept all of my installer files, my internet at the minute is 200kbs, and it would take another two weeks to download them all again!) I will get re-installing and reply here when all is hunky dory!

Cheers!

SAS~vampire_pilot

• SAS Team
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 11:12:06 AM »

You did not install 3.4 at all, I checked the syntax.

In my opinion, full access on folders and outside windows protected paths is a no brainer if you want to mod stuff. IIRC something along those lines is already included in the basic instructions.

I hope all goes well now.

HansCrotchfelt

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 03:27:09 AM »

Thanks for the reply!

I've been installing again and have tested both a new map and new aircraft up to 3.4. All working.

I've just installed 3.5 and have a problem... a 30% crash no matter what aircraft!

Here's the installer log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OVw01fOoTsL9SNvNCwzhadt2CTO27E9L/view?usp=sharing

Here's the BAT03B folder contents: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m8bOqTfmAb_Nl6Z2pweN47Ovne9ULF1o/view?usp=sharing

I can confirm the new 3.5 aircraft are all showing up in the QMB

I wonder what's going on?

SAS~vampire_pilot

• SAS Team
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 08:15:36 AM »

The contents of your folder are still not correct. You have two sound SFS where there should only be one (01) and you have a wrongly named first file. There should be one named WAW3DO01.SFS

Could it be that you did install everything over the old messed up install instead of cleaning it first? That would explain some oif the things I see there.

I mean, I really try to help, but this snapshot of the folder is most certainly not what happens after a "clean" installation.

HansCrotchfelt

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 10:21:51 AM »

Completely clean... as in... older folders entirely deleted and game re-installed from scratch.

I can think of a couple possible issues:

1. 4.13.1 unpatcher not doing its job properly (I find the bat file doesn't work so I have to copy over the contents and overwrite manually in order to get to 4.12.2)
2. Copying over my conf.ini and user files (for graphics and controls respectively)

Could it be either of these? I would like to get it figured out before I try my third install!

Everything worked just fine until I installed bat 3.4!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 27 queries.