Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Midway - the Movie  (Read 7530 times)

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
Midway - the Movie
« on: November 06, 2019, 04:32:41 PM »

Has anyone seen Midway yet? It is playing in theaters where I live and I am undecided if it is worth seeing. I've seen the trailers, but thankfully they don't always mean that much, not always.

I wonder if it won't be a Pearl Harbor rehash. Some scenes in the trailers sure made me think so. And I often fear that when directors use cgi in war movies, they really go overboard, with gazillions of planes in one shot, or with them zipping by like supersonic jets. That really ruins it.

Anyway, if anyone's seen it yet, how about letting known your views ...

<Gunny>

Re: Midway - the Movie
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 04:38:18 PM »

I have watched the trailers on TV and to me it looks like another  "  Pearl Harbor ".
I could be wrong and I hope I am. Pearl  was just plain BAD... :(

Kopfdorfer

• Potez 63.11 France's most significant AC in 1940
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 05:29:32 PM »

It's Michael Bay isn't it?
It's going to be bad I expect , but like most of you I am drawn to flying movies like a moth to
the flame.

Give us something to moan about , anyway.

Kopfdorfer

Checkyersix

• Modder
  • Dr. Frankenplane
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 06:19:25 PM »

It's Roland Emmerich, of Independence Day fame. I just hope Will Smith punches Admiral Yamamoto in the face and says "Welcome to Midway!" ;)

And maybe Bill Pullman will play FDR and give a really rousing speech on the bridge of the Enterprise...

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 10:59:33 PM »

well, i'm sure it'll be better then Dauntless:Battle of Midway, which was essentially a movie about two pilots sitting in the water for the whole movie...
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 12:09:11 AM »

It's Roland Emmerich, of Independence Day fame. I just hope Will Smith punches Admiral Yamamoto in the face and says "Welcome to Midway!" ;)

And maybe Bill Pullman will play FDR and give a really rousing speech on the bridge of the Enterprise...

Ah, so you're expecting historical accuracy then?   ... ha ha ha

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 01:17:19 AM »

..expect to find out that most of the ship's captains were probably females... ;D
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 01:41:53 AM »

well, i'm sure it'll be better then Dauntless:Battle of Midway, which was essentially a movie about two pilots sitting in the water for the whole movie...

That's what happens when the director has a limited budget ... he he

sniperton

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 04:35:27 AM »

It was just yesterday that I watched the trailer and decided not to watch the movie. Combat scenes reminded me of World of Warplanes made by the CGI team of 300. Despite the hours of RL footages from the Pacific war, it was the video game experience that was recreated here instead.

cgbux

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 07:17:07 AM »

As I Iive in Italy I have to wait until November 27 to see the movie but for what I have seen in the trailers will be a stunning experience!
Sadly Hollywood moviemakers are more interested in entertainment than in historycally accurate details, so there are many little snags! But for a sharp eyed passionate for aviation are not so...minor!
Just as an example the Doolittle raiders B25 depicted in the movie are all B25J instead of the correct B25B! And more disappointing is the National Insignia on the B25 wings: instead of the red dot centered white star on the blue circle, as correctly depicted on fuselages, for a very misterious reason were added the late war two white side bars! o_O

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 08:01:07 AM »

And more disappointing is the National Insignia on the B25 wings: instead of the red dot centered white star on the blue circle, as correctly depicted on fuselages, for a very misterious reason were added the late war two white side bars! o_O

I suppose the director or whomever responsible, thought that present day movie-goers would not recognize the Red Dot stars as being the correct American insignia for that period of WWII ... gotta keep it simple for the Joe Six-Packs ...

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 03:25:37 PM »

Roland Emmerich?  Isn't he the genius that gave us The Day After Tomorrow and 2012?  Both ridiculous movies.  On the other hand he also did Stargate which IMHO is a pretty good sci-fi movie.

I've seen the trailers for Midway and at first thought it had been done by the same clown who did Pearl Harbor only to find out it is Emmerich.  I think most Second World War historians will probably pull their hair out LOL.  I've no doubt it will be an entertaining movie but as far as historical accuracy...meh. 

This will be World Of Warplanes/World of Warships; Midway.   A console game brought to "life" as it were.  ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 24 queries.