Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to get brighter whitecaps on water?  (Read 1121 times)

WxTech

• Modder
How to get brighter whitecaps on water?
« on: October 07, 2019, 01:53:08 AM »

For some time I've seen videos where waves have pretty bright white foam whitecaps. The default 4.12.2 foam is rather anemic by comparison, even after lightening up the .tga itself.

The relevant graphic is called Foam_NV40, if memory serves. I haven't seen a .mat file for this.

How to get this whiter foam? Thanks!
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
Re: How to get brighter whitecaps on water?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 03:19:15 AM »

There's two types of water in the game, the stock IL-2 FB AEP water and the one which came with the Pacific Fighters expansion. This can make a difference. With grayscale images like these if you want them to become brighter, increase the contrast.

Here's an example:
https://ulozto.net/file/D6onU33n3zcP/foamnv40-tga
Compare it with the original:
https://ulozto.net/file/2mgV7ewy77Cb/stock-foamnv40-tga

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 04:52:27 AM »

Istvan,
Thanks for your attention!

My existing FoamNV40.tga already had pretty high contrast. I tried yours, but there was almost no overall difference in the whitecap intensity.

So I went ahead and greatly boosted the contrast of the WaterNoiseFoam image set in the [animated] folder, which place the whitecaps and animate them with the waves. Again, hardly a difference.

I wonder if some folk are setting a map Landlight.mat value for one or both of Ambient and Diffuse greater than 1.0?
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 07:52:27 AM »

I increased the Landlight_W.mat values a bit but I did not touch the summer version.

It could also be that there were video post-processing effects used or the game was running with Reshade/SweetFX effects. Both methods are able to boost the white colors in an image. But I need to see the video in order to be able to tell.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 01:01:41 PM »

Ah, that could be it! Post processing such as SweetFX, etc. I don't use anything like that.

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 02:53:00 AM »

It could also be the IL-2 Graphics Extender by slibenli. I remember seeing some different looking whitecaps on waves there.
But I only use Reshade with two - HDR and Bloom - filters, those boost the overall brightness and contrast of the image by 30-40%.

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 11:26:26 AM »

It could also be the IL-2 Graphics Extender by slibenli. I

Where can that be found?

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 01:37:25 PM »

There is a now long-running thread here, in which is chronicled the ongoing development of this novel work-in-progress that revolutionizes the rendering of principally the atmospheric lighting/hazing. Look in Other Mods/WIP. The thread has had over 60k reads!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.