Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Translator wanted - Хотел переводчик - Traducteur recherché - Překladatel chtěl - Potrzebny tłumacz - A fordító akart - Übersetzer gesucht  (Read 2840 times)

sniperton

I am in favour of keeping the genuine name and nickname of AC, but of course I won't sue anybody if they are translated ...!  8)

Same preference here, but in this particular case IIRC I translated it with a monstruous "futóműburkolattal" (~ "with gear cover"). Maybe it was not a wise decision   ::(

Ivan-le-Rouge

To be honnest I don't matter about the final choice because I'm sure it will be the result of a logical reflection. Many peoples get involved and propose translations and  constructive points of view. This multiple possibilities will allows to chose the more appropriate.

The result will be great, undoubtly.

Flanker27

My take on this is I feel the airplanes should be known by the nicknames as well, at least the commonly known one, maybe put the designation number then the nick name in brackets? I know planes more by the nicknames just at a glance rather then having to think about translating it or remembering the numbers 

lizard

Dear SAS crew,

I'm not a native speaker of Hungarian, but I couldn't help noticing this:

Kedves Mindenki ... kérjük, küldjön nekem miniszterelnököt ...

I know that many Hungarians have real issues with their government, but do you *really* want then to send you Viktor Orbán? [it might benefit the country if you do, but such self-sacrifice!]

PM = Personal Message but also Prime Minister!

:D

Quoth

Thanks Mick, sniperton and thanks to all others for your suggestions.

As a native german speaker myself and with my pidgin english, my take on translating german and english nicknames and the like is this:

Mistel:
This actually isn't a proper name, it's rather a description of the system of attaching a fighter to a "mothership" bomber, like a mistletoe gets attached to an aspen.
The same name was used for multiple plane combinations and for this reason alone already doesn't qualify for being a proper name.
Additionally, in reality "Mistel" was just the lower component of the composite system. For details see
In my opinion, this should be translated. We might want to take the chance to use "Beethoven-Gerät ("Beethoven Device")" instead of "Mistel", because that's what I find being used most often in official documents and books.

early version: To be translated, no doubt.
late version: To be translated, no doubt.
Spats: To be translated, no doubt.
Naval: To be translated, no doubt.
Gear: To be translated, no doubt.
Trainer: To be translated, no doubt.
Tanker: To be translated, no doubt.

Fieseler Fi 156 Storch, 1939:
The russians built this plane as Antonov OKA-38 Аист (russian for "Stork"). Apparently this name gets translated.
In general, if a name has a proper translation available, why not use it?

Fw 190 A-7 "Sturm":
"Sturm" wasn't a proper noun either, just a nickname describing the role of the plane (rush/rage/storm sth.).
I'd vote for translating such descriptives nicks if proper translations are available.

Fw 190 F-8/Pb anti tank, 1944:
"Antitank" is the role of the plane and should be translated. "Panzerblitz" is a german neologism and as such, cannot be translated properly, so we should keep using it's abbreviation "Pb".

He-111Z : Z for Zwilling "twin linked":
Similar to "Mistel" or "Sturm", "Zwilling" is a design description with proper translation available.
Should be translated IMHO.

He-219 "Uhu":
Similar to "Mistel", "Sturm" and "Zwilling", "Uhu" is a design description with proper translation available.
Should be translated IMHO.

Ju-88G1-Stechmücke:
"Stechmücke" is the other german name of a Mosquito (besides simply "Moskito").
The germans chose this name following the de Havilland's name.
I would translate it, because the nick (which again never was an official proper noun for this plane) shall describe it's role.

ME-410-A "Hornisse":
Not a proper noun, just a nick, with proper translation available.
In analogy to other such german nicks, I'd vote for translating it.

Vice versa, the de Havilland Mosquito was never called "Mosquito" in any official german document.
It's always been referred to by it's german translation "Moskito".
Other english names like "Spitfire" or "Hurricane" remained as such though.

And of course NATO nicks for russian planes should not be translated, no one ever did so.

]cheers[
Mike

Witam i pozdrawiam, some help with polish language translations:

Mistel: Jemioła

early version: wersja wczesna

late version: wersja póżna

spats: owiewki

naval: morski

gear: podwozie

trainer: treningowy

tanker: cysterna

Storck: Bocian

Sturm: Wichura or Burza

Antitank: przeciwczołgowy

Zwilling: Bliźniak

Uhu: Puchacz

Stehnmucke: Komar or Moskit

Hornisse: Szerszeń

I looked at the translation sheet and the first thing I saw wrong was the polish translation for "early". Early means "wczesny" in polish not "pierwszy"

sniperton

do you *really* want then to send

PM = Personal Message but also Prime Minister!

:D

I asked the very same thing in a PM, but Mike didn't show any interest in this bargain  ;)

Dimlee

Russian...

I can take a look when I finish my current trip.
Silly question probably - do you need them in Cyrillic?

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU

I asked the very same thing in a PM, but Mike didn't show any interest in this bargain  ;)
Oh I absolutely do, but it's our neighbours being in need of a new PM :)

Russian...

I can take a look when I finish my current trip.
Silly question probably - do you need them in Cyrillic?
Thanks, that'd be great.
I did write the translated words in cyrillic. Not sure about the rest. How would russians use to write down "Bristol Beaufort I late, 1940"?
"Bristol Beaufort I поздн., 1940" or "Бристол Беауфорт 1 поздн., 1940"?

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Dimlee

Right.
Бристоль Бофорт I поздний.

Mike, PM sent.
No, not the Prime Minister!  :o
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 24 queries.