Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Italian Ground Pounders 1941  (Read 1997 times)

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
Italian Ground Pounders 1941
« on: September 21, 2019, 12:47:34 AM »

Yes, another oldie has been converted, and again by the intrepid Edc2, who has once again done an excellent job! It is this one:

This is a semi-historical, 8-mission static campaign, set during June 1941, portraying the fighting in the air over Libya during Operation Battleaxe. You are an Italian pilot in Gruppo Assalto 12, flying the ground-attack aircraft Breda Ba.65. (This one is part of a series of campaigns showing the air battles during that offensive.) It is also, AFAIK, the only campaign available for DreamK:s Breda Ba.65, to which I have a bit of a hate-love relationship. As did the Italian pilots in real life as well... The aircraft was underpowered, especially the variant with a rear turret, and a bit under-gunned. It did well in the Spanish Civil War, but when facing modern British fighters in North Africa the deficiencies became all too obvious.

You can download it here: http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads3&file=details&id=1344

The British Battleaxe offensive had the goal of clearing Eastern Cyrenaica of German and Italian forces. (One of the main benefits of this would be the lifting of the siege of Tobruk.) It was the first time during the war that a significant German force fought on the defensive.

The operation did not succeed though, as British forces launched their initial assaults against strong defensive positions created by German General Erwin Rommel. The British lost over half of their tanks on the first day and only achieved victory at one of their three thrusts. On the second day, they achieved mixed results, being pushed back on their western flank but repelled a significant German counter-attack in their centre. On the third day, the British narrowly avoided outright disaster by successfully withdrawing just prior to a German encircling movement which would have cut them off from retreat. In the air the fighting was hard, with the Axis coming out as victors there as well. The Allies lost three times the number of aircraft as the Axis. It was the last time that the Axis dominated the North African sky completely.

Some more screenies:

Thanks for looking. And once again thanks to Edc2, who did the heavy lifting on this one!  :)
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

Sturmvogel

Re: Italian Ground Pounders 1941
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 10:37:32 AM »

I think I'm weird because this is one of my favorite planes and think it looks cool. Everyone I talk to says it's ugly haha.

Though I'm trying to figure out how to bomb properly. Is there a bomb sight? It seems like it should be a level bomber because the way the bombs are stored. I've tried using it as a dive bomber but that didn't seem right either (especially on the first mission as the AAA blew me apart). Anyone know?

Thanks as always Poltava, and Edc2!

pc777

Re: Italian Ground Pounders 1941
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 01:42:37 AM »

Got to add this to my Italian collection, great work, thank you!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 24 queries.