Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting the Most Out of BAT Offline  (Read 2038 times)

CaptSopwith

Getting the Most Out of BAT Offline
« on: August 19, 2019, 06:07:24 PM »

Hi Guys,

I hope my post finds you all well and enjoying the latest edition of BAT. I wanted to write in for two reasons. First, to say thank you to the massive community here and to the dedicated team of modders who have made BAT such a success. I am beginning to learn names from reading through the posts - Mike who managed to break the Java wall, Vampire Pilot who has packaged the last few editions. Monty for assembling CUP and BAT and for some great WWI campaigns. I cannot thank you guys enough for this pack. I've played the vpmodpack for quite some time for its ease of installation and because I'm mostly drawn to IL-2 for the World War II content.

I'm floored by the upgrade that BAT brings. Already noticing lots of little touches - from the way the engines turn over, the ear splitting (and fantastic!) sound pack, the special effects and, of course, the thousands of aircraft that have been added to the sim. It really is a one stop shop for just about anything you might be curious in.

I'm also writing to ask for the community's advice. I play IL-2 offline only and I'm a big fan of Western European WWII campaigns (I cut my teeth on and still play European Air War). I'm floored by all of the content in BAT and so far I've added Monty's Battle of Britain campaigns as well as his WWI content. I've also dropped in Vampire's packaging of DGen and accompanying campaigns that were seen over in the vpmodpack. Lastly, I've dropped in DCG to create some additional campaigns.

So I have a few questions for the group: What's the best way to get the most out of BAT offline? Are there individual campaigns I should begin bolting to my BAT install? What are some of your favorite offline campaigns across all four modules? Is DCG the best way forward? And two: is there a good dgen setup I should plug into my config? Right now my BAT doesn't have one. With the Java wall down, is there a limit on cranking up the number of aircraft in the sky?

Again, please accept my hearty congratulations on this epic mod. I've now created an IL-2 Collection on my PC and I can't seem to decide what to try next. Fantastic job guys!

Cheers!

jpten

Re: Getting the Most Out of BAT Offline
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 07:37:19 PM »

"....What's the best way to get the most out of BAT offline?... With the Java wall down, is there a limit on cranking up the number of aircraft in the sky?

Greetings CaptSopwith, Have you made any of your own missions yet?  Everybody has their own dream they wish to fulfill in flight simulation.  Sometimes that requires your own designs.  After a busy or tiring day I like to simply make cargo runs from small remote airfields across exotic lands filled with exotic women who hang around airfields.  Not likely to be found in someone elses missions so I make my own.  Once good enough you can duplicate missions in campaigns but change up the planes, flight paths etc quite easily.  C&C objects added to a mission can add alot of unpredictability so it rarely plays the same.
   The one thing I will say about the number of a/c in a mission, most pilots in the real  dogfights would only encounter a small portion of the enemy.  Take the Battle of Britain, there might be a 100+ raid heading to London but not every squadron would be vectored to intercept.  Some squadrons would be positioned to catch them on the raid's outbound (returning to France) leg.  Some to intercept before the flak zone over London and some to wait for the bombers to exit the flak zone (or 'aving a talk with Archie in 1940 slang).  The point is, as a mission it wouldn't really need to have 100+ planes, you could just keep the ratio to 3 Luftwaffe to 1 RAF plane to mimic the real life odds.

CaptSopwith

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 09:01:56 AM »

Thanks for the warm greetings jpten. I hadn't thought of that idea! I did notice last night, after adding the WAW DGen that I have over 700 some odd campaigns to jump into so perhaps I'm good to go for now. I've never played around with the FMB but it looks far more user friendly with the most recent edition of BAT.

I'm still curious as to any HoF campaigns that folks particularly enjoyed. I'm assuming that for a full BoB experience, Monty's campaigns are still the way to go?

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 09:16:00 AM »

Welcome to the big show.

I am first and foremost a player and mission maker myself so that's what you see there. I think Monty was a lot of the same.

CDS025_DOGO

• Saludos Camaradas
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 07:45:19 PM »

I am first and foremost a player and mission maker myself so that's what you see there. I think Monty was a lot of the same.

I thank you for being as you are ;) :D

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 03:58:34 AM »

A quick answer regarding one of your queries: YES, with the new BAT you CAN crank up the number of aircraft in a mission quite heavily. I have done so in a number of my converted campaigns.
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

David Prosser

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 04:55:17 AM »

And you can have bulk ground units present. No slide show. Say if you are doing ground pounding in support of friendly units.

cheers

David

CaptSopwith

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 09:40:03 AM »

Thanks for your replies guys. Poltava, I looked at your campaigns on Mission 4 Today and saw how many you've put together. Very excited to try those out. The BoB ones in particular look great!

And David, I'm noticing a huge difference in performance with BAT - the sim simply screams along now. Fantastic stuff!

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 11:48:02 AM »

CaptSopwith!

Just wade in: modded IL-2 has never been better! It is harvest time for all mission and campaign builders. A good way of learning the ropes is to try converting some old campaigns to BAT. There are many really good old ones that are either unplayable, or built on compromises (wrong aircraft, wrong maps etc) that are no longer necessary!
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

Flying H

• "And you can fly, high as a kite if you want to..
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 01:26:36 PM »

I´d like to see the old (really old) Ostfront campaign tuned for BAT use! It had a storyline tha went from june 22 1941 until the end of war in 1945.
And you can fly, high as a kite, if you want to.........
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 27 queries.